Planning Upgrade: 2.3.6->2.5.2

Rich Shepard
   The last time I upgraded postfix (to 2.3.6) I used the Slackbuild script
and ended up with some issues that took a while to resolve. IIRC, someone on
this list suggested that I not use the Slackbuild script, but build and
upgrade manually, using 'make upgrade' rather than 'make install.' I'll take
this route, but I want to have everything lined up so that there's no lost
activity from my mistakes during compilation or upgrading.

   I've read the AAAREADME, RELEASE_NOTES, and RELEASE_NOTES-2.4 files so I
know that I'll need to run 'postfix restart,' 'postfix
upgrade-configuration,' and 'postfix reload' to upgrade master.cf and have
it running smoothly after running 'make' and 'make upgrade.'

   For reasons I do not remember, I had to build and install
cyrus-sasl-2.1.22; I think it was required by either the Slackbuild script
or (more likely) from an earlier Slackware package I installed. Since we
have a very small user base I wonder if I should still include cyrus-sasl.
The installed version is the current production release according to the CMU
web site.

   Suggestions and guidance for a smooth build and upgrade are appreciated.

TIA,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |  Integrity            Credibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |            Innovation
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax: 503-667-8863

Re: Planning Upgrade: 2.3.6->2.5.2

Victor Duchovni
On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 05:31:51PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   The last time I upgraded postfix (to 2.3.6) I used the Slackbuild script
> and ended up with some issues that took a while to resolve. IIRC, someone on
> this list suggested that I not use the Slackbuild script, but build and
> upgrade manually, using 'make upgrade' rather than 'make install.' I'll take
> this route, but I want to have everything lined up so that there's no lost
> activity from my mistakes during compilation or upgrading.
>
>   I've read the AAAREADME, RELEASE_NOTES, and RELEASE_NOTES-2.4 files so I
> know that I'll need to run 'postfix restart,' 'postfix
> upgrade-configuration,' and 'postfix reload' to upgrade master.cf and have
> it running smoothly after running 'make' and 'make upgrade.'

No, "postfix stop", then "make upgrade", then "postfix start". Upgrade while
Postfix is stopped.

Re: Planning Upgrade: 2.3.6->2.5.2

Rich Shepard
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Victor Duchovni wrote:

> No, "postfix stop", then "make upgrade", then "postfix start". Upgrade
> while Postfix is stopped.

   Thank you. I did not make it clear that my understanding of the steps was
after the upgrade was completed. Glad you clarified since I did not.

Rich

On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  Suggestions and guidance for a smooth build and upgrade are appreciated.

In preparation for doing this version upgrade I want to tune SMTP AUTH. The
latest cyrus-sasl production version (2.1.22) is installed here. However,
I'm embarrassed to write, I never actively configured it. Now's the time to
configure SASL before I do the postfix upgrade, and I'd appreciate
suggestions on which choices would be most appropriate.

    My postfix installation must be using saslauthd by default and
authenticating using etc/shadow. But, I cannot prove that because when I
telnet to the mail server's port 25 and send 'EHLO client.domain.tld', no
AUTH interface is returned.

    According to Hildebrandt and Koetter's "The Book of Postfix," I can select
among various SMTP AUTH mechanisms, methods, and backends.

    This is a small site with two local users and a handful of aliases,
running linux. No Microsoft or Apple. Pine and Thunderchicken are the MUAs
in use here.

    Among the SMTP AUTH mechanisms, the most likely choices include
CRAM-MD5/DIGEST-MD5, EXTERNAL, GSSAPI, OTP, PLAIN/LOGIN, and SRP. The book
recommends PLAIN, LOGIN, and CRAM-MD5 for a mixed OS environment.

    The two authentication methods are:
  saslauthd (used with only PLAIN and LOGIN, and the apparent default
  since I have /usr/sbin/saslauthd).

  auxprop (which can use plugged-in tools such as sasldb2 and
  postgres).

    The authentication backends supported include: imap, kerberos, ldap, pam,
passwd/shadow, sasldb2, and sql.

    Pine supports CRAM-MD5, GSSAPI, Kerberos4, LOGIN, and PLAIN. Thunderbird
is not in their table 15-1.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |  Integrity            Credibility
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |            Innovation
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax: 503-667-8863

Re: Planning Upgrade: 2.3.6->2.5.2

Rich Shepard
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Victor Duchovni wrote:

> No, "postfix stop", then "make upgrade", then "postfix start". Upgrade
> while Postfix is stopped.

Victor,

   Worked smooth as silk. I had to add a VERSION text file to /etc/postfix
since I did not use a SlackBuild which would register the version in
/var/log/packages.

Thanks,

Rich