Plans for using PCRE v2 in Postfix?

jasonsu
I build & use the latest Postfix release from source instead of depending on distro packages.

I use regex alot, including in Postfix.  I try to keep up to date with upstream PCRE too.

PCRE has released a v2, where all new features appear, and maintains (bug-fixes only) v1.

        http://www.pcre.org/
        Versions
                There are two major versions of the PCRE library. The newest version, PCRE2, was released in 2015 and is at version 10.21.  The original, very widely deployed PCRE library, originally released in 1997, is at version 8.38, and the API and feature set are stable—future releases will be for bugfixes only. All new future features will be to PCRE2, not the original PCRE 8.x series.

Currently my Postfix build links to latest PCRE v1

        ldd /usr/local/sbin/postfix | grep pcre
                libpcre.so.1 => /usr/local/lib64/libpcre.so.1 (0x00007f84d34b0000)
                libpcrecpp.so.0 => /usr/local/lib64/libpcrecpp.so.0 (0x00007f84d32a6000)

What plans are there, if any, to move to using PCRE v2 in Postfix?

From what I can tell it's an API change, and will probably mean some fair amount of code change & cleanup.

Just wanting to understand if & when I'd have to plan for using it.

Thanks

Jason

Re: Plans for using PCRE v2 in Postfix?

Wietse Venema
[hidden email]:
> What plans are there, if any, to move to using PCRE v2 in Postfix?

If someone has time to port dict_pcre to dict_pcre2 (including the
documentation in pcre_table to pcre2_table, and including all the
postfix documentation that mentions pcre) then that would be great.

Othwerwise it happens as time is available.

        Wietse