PostScreen taking too long time to send greeting

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

PostScreen taking too long time to send greeting

vishesh kumar
Hi Members,

I have following setup related to postscreen greeting 
-------------------
postscreen_greet_action = ignore
postscreen_greet_banner = $smtpd_banner
postscreen_greet_ttl = 1d
postscreen_greet_wait = 2s
smtp_skip_5xx_greeting = yes
---------------------------------------------

But when i doing telnet <serverip> 25, its taking too long time to display "220 **************** " message 

What could be the reason as outlook client not working and giving time wait error

Thanks,
Vishesh Kumar

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PostScreen taking too long time to send greeting

Eliezer Croitoru-2
On 15/05/2012 14:20, vishesh kumar wrote:

> Hi Members,
>
> I have following setup related to postscreen greeting
> -------------------
> postscreen_greet_action = ignore
> postscreen_greet_banner = $smtpd_banner
> postscreen_greet_ttl = 1d
> postscreen_greet_wait = 2s
> smtp_skip_5xx_greeting = yes
> ---------------------------------------------
>
> But when i doing telnet <serverip> 25, its taking too long time to
> display "220 **************** " message
>
> What could be the reason as outlook client not working and giving time
> wait error
>
> Thanks,
> Vishesh Kumar
>
for a outlook client you should use submission(587) and not port 25 that
is protected by postscreen.
if you get this problem from a client machine it can be caused by
AV|FIREWALL|antispam filtering other then postscreen.

Eliezer

--
Eliezer Croitoru
https://www1.ngtech.co.il
IT consulting for Nonprofit organizations
eliezer <at> ngtech.co.il
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PostScreen taking too long time to send greeting

Marko Weber | ZBF
In reply to this post by vishesh kumar

You can try with the default:

postscreen_greet_wait                                   =
${stress?3}${stress:8}s

you still get error message then ?

marko




Am 15.05.2012 13:20, schrieb vishesh kumar:

> Hi Members,
>
> I have following setup related to postscreen greeting 
> -------------------
> postscreen_greet_action = ignore
> postscreen_greet_banner = $smtpd_banner
> postscreen_greet_ttl = 1d
> postscreen_greet_wait = 2s
> smtp_skip_5xx_greeting = yes
> ---------------------------------------------
>
> But when i doing telnet <serverip> 25, its taking too long time to
> display "220 **************** " message 
>
> What could be the reason as outlook client not working and giving
> time
> wait error
>
> Thanks,
> Vishesh Kumar


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PostScreen taking too long time to send greeting

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by vishesh kumar
vishesh kumar:
> But when i doing telnet <serverip> 25, its taking too long time to display
> "220 **************** " message

That is a CISCO PIX or ASA "security" "firewall".

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PostScreen taking too long time to send greeting

vishesh kumar
Thanks Wietse,

When i disable postscreen, then postfix  works fine and respond immediately.


Vishesh Kumar

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
vishesh kumar:
> But when i doing telnet <serverip> 25, its taking too long time to display
> "220 **************** " message

That is a CISCO PIX or ASA "security" "firewall".

       Wietse



--
http://linuxmantra.com
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PostScreen taking too long time to send greeting

Wietse Venema
vishesh kumar:
> Thanks Wietse,
>
> When i disable postscreen, then postfix  works fine and respond immediately.

1 - Please show command output of "postconf -n | grep postscreen".
This contains the time that postscreen is configured to wait, and
this may differ from what you show with "cut and paste" from main.cf.

2 - Please report the postscreen greeting delay as measured by
connecting to the network port.

3 - Is this time substantially different from the time specified
in (1)? If it differs, is perhaps Postfix running in a virtualized
environment?

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: PostScreen taking too long time to send greeting

Charles Marcus
In reply to this post by vishesh kumar
On 2012-05-15 8:53 AM, vishesh kumar <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Wietse,
>
> When i disable postscreen, then postfix  works fine and respond immediately.

The *correct* solution is to DISABLE the brain-dead 'smtp fixup' on the
CISCO box...

--

Best regards,

Charles