Postfix 2.10 Failed to Start Centos 7

Anointedone

Hi,
I have recently "yum upgrade" my Centos Linux 7 Server. I had a fully working Postfix 2.10 system prior to that.
My Postfix service won't start. This is the error:
Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.comsystemd[1]: Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent...
Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.comaliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: compatibility_level=2
Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.comaliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: meta_directory=/etc/postfix
Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.comaliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: shlib_directory=no
Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.compostfix[28445]: /usr/lib/postfix/postfix-script: line 74: cd: HOME not set
It appears related to the shlib_directory within the above postfix-script file.
However, apparently the shlib_directory variable is only available in version 3.0+
Could anyone advise please.

Just to add: If I execute postconf -d | grep shlib_directory - I get shlib_directory = no
on the previous version.

However, on my upgraded version the shlib_directory = no is not returned from the postconf -d command.

This is key in determining the error IMO.

Thanks!

Re: Postfix 2.10 Failed to Start Centos 7

Wietse Venema
CRAIG WILSON:

> Hi,
> I have recently "yum upgrade" my Centos Linux 7 Server. I had a fully working Postfix 2.10 system prior to that.
> My Postfix service won't start. This is the error:
> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>systemd[1]: Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent...
> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>aliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: compatibility_level=2
> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>aliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: meta_directory=/etc/postfix
> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>aliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: shlib_directory=no
> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>postfix[28445]: /usr/lib/postfix/postfix-script: line 74: cd: HOME not set
> It appears related to the shlib_directory within the above postfix-script file.
> However, apparently the shlib_directory variable is only available in version 3.0+
> Could anyone advise please.

Why did you "upgrade" from Postfix3 to Postfix2?

You are now running Postfix2 binaries (no suppport for shlib_directory
or meta_directory) with your Postfix3 configuration (that specifies
shlib_directory and shlib_directory).

> Just to add: If I execute postconf -d | grep shlib_directory - I
> get shlib_directory = no on the previous version.

That was a Postfix3 system, which supports shlib_directory and
meta_directory.

> However, on my upgraded version the shlib_directory = no is not
> returned from the postconf -d command.

Because that is Postfix2, which does not support shlib_directory
or meta_directory.

Re: Postfix 2.10 Failed to Start Centos 7

Anointedone
No, I didn't upgrade Postfix. As the top of my thread, I "yum upgrade" my Centos Server. Postfix is 2.10. It worked previously but since yum upgrade, has failed.

Thanks!

> On 2 Jan 2021, at 21:34, "Wietse Venema" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> CRAIG WILSON:
>> Hi,
>> I have recently "yum upgrade" my Centos Linux 7 Server. I had a fully working Postfix 2.10 system prior to that.
>> My Postfix service won't start. This is the error:
>> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>systemd[1]: Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent...
>> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>aliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: compatibility_level=2
>> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>aliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: meta_directory=/etc/postfix
>> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>aliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: shlib_directory=no
>> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>postfix[28445]: /usr/lib/postfix/postfix-script: line 74: cd: HOME not set
>> It appears related to the shlib_directory within the above postfix-script file.
>> However, apparently the shlib_directory variable is only available in version 3.0+
>> Could anyone advise please.
>
> Why did you "upgrade" from Postfix3 to Postfix2?
>
> You are now running Postfix2 binaries (no suppport for shlib_directory
> or meta_directory) with your Postfix3 configuration (that specifies
> shlib_directory and shlib_directory).
>
>> Just to add: If I execute postconf -d | grep shlib_directory - I
>> get shlib_directory = no on the previous version.
>
> That was a Postfix3 system, which supports shlib_directory and
> meta_directory.
>
>> However, on my upgraded version the shlib_directory = no is not
>> returned from the postconf -d command.
>
> Because that is Postfix2, which does not support shlib_directory
> or meta_directory.
>
>    Wietse

Re: Postfix 2.10 Failed to Start Centos 7

lists@lazygranch.com
I use "update" instead of "upgrade". You can Google for the difference.

Since I am on a cloud server, I usually do an image first since email can be tricky to debug.

No, I didn't upgrade Postfix. As the top of my thread, I "yum upgrade" my Centos Server. Postfix is 2.10. It worked previously but since yum upgrade, has failed.

Thanks!

> On 2 Jan 2021, at 21:34, "Wietse Venema" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> CRAIG WILSON:
>> Hi,
>> I have recently "yum upgrade" my Centos Linux 7 Server. I had a fully working Postfix 2.10 system prior to that.
>> My Postfix service won't start. This is the error:
>> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>systemd[1]: Starting Postfix Mail Transport Agent...
>> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>aliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: compatibility_level=2
>> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>aliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: meta_directory=/etc/postfix
>> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>aliasesdb[28441]: /usr/sbin/postconf: warning: /etc/postfix/main.cf: unused parameter: shlib_directory=no
>> Jan 01 20:36:02 pbx.myrevtel.com<http://pbx.myrevtel.com/>postfix[28445]: /usr/lib/postfix/postfix-script: line 74: cd: HOME not set
>> It appears related to the shlib_directory within the above postfix-script file.
>> However, apparently the shlib_directory variable is only available in version 3.0+
>> Could anyone advise please.
>
> Why did you "upgrade" from Postfix3 to Postfix2?
>
> You are now running Postfix2 binaries (no suppport for shlib_directory
> or meta_directory) with your Postfix3 configuration (that specifies
> shlib_directory and shlib_directory).
>
>> Just to add: If I execute postconf -d | grep shlib_directory - I
>> get shlib_directory = no on the previous version.
>
> That was a Postfix3 system, which supports shlib_directory and
> meta_directory.
>
>> However, on my upgraded version the shlib_directory = no is not
>> returned from the postconf -d command.
>
> Because that is Postfix2, which does not support shlib_directory
> or meta_directory.
>
>    Wietse

Re: Postfix 2.10 Failed to Start Centos 7

Peter Ajamian
On 3/01/21 10:52 am, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> I think one of the issues here is that the centos upstream repos have
> not been updated to the latest code yet. That being said, I was
> wondering if anyone had written any installation notes for installing
> postfix 3.x from source on centos or red hat?

Better to use a properly packaged Postfix:

http://ghettoforge.org/index.php/Postfix3

Peter

On 3/01/21 11:38 am, CRAIG WILSON wrote:
> No, I didn't upgrade Postfix. As the top of my thread, I "yum upgrade" my Centos Server. Postfix is 2.10. It worked previously but since yum upgrade, has failed.

Wietse's point was that you have config parameters that are not valid
for Postfix 2.10 so for them to have worked in the past you must have
been running a newer Postfix (3.x).  Did you perhaps build Postfix from
source in the past and install it over the system Postfix?  If so then
the yum update would have overwritten your newer Postfix with the
updated stock Postfix 2.10.

If you want Postfix 3 for CentOS 7 check out: