Postfix-Amavisd quarantined mail inspection

Postfix-Amavisd quarantined mail inspection

Nikolaos Milas
Hello,

I am using postfix, amavisd-new, spam assassin, clamav on a gateway system.

A short question (I know it's a bit off-topic but I know that people
here run similar systems):

I've read how to release and/or forward quarantined mail. But can I read
the quarantined mails in situ (i.e. in the quarantine directory)? Can I
use some utility to display it in human-readable form and examine
details (headers, subject, etc.) so I can decide whether it should be
released or not?

Thanks,
Nick

Re: Postfix-Amavisd quarantined mail inspection

Rolf E. Sonneveld
On 12/29/11 3:15 PM, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using postfix, amavisd-new, spam assassin, clamav on a gateway
> system.
>
> A short question (I know it's a bit off-topic but I know that people
> here run similar systems):
>
> I've read how to release and/or forward quarantined mail. But can I
> read the quarantined mails in situ (i.e. in the quarantine directory)?
> Can I use some utility to display it in human-readable form and
> examine details (headers, subject, etc.) so I can decide whether it
> should be released or not?

please use the amavisd-new mailing list for this topic:

<mailto:[hidden email]?subject=subscribe>

/rolf

Re: Postfix-Amavisd quarantined mail inspection

Simon Brereton-2

On Dec 29, 2011 9:15 AM, "Nikolaos Milas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using postfix, amavisd-new, spam assassin, clamav on a gateway system.
>
> A short question (I know it's a bit off-topic but I know that people here run similar systems):
>
> I've read how to release and/or forward quarantined mail. But can I read the quarantined mails in situ (i.e. in the quarantine directory)? Can I use some utility to display it in human-readable form and examine details (headers, subject, etc.) so I can decide whether it should be released or not?

Cat works for me - but all on the amavis list.  I believe there's a command for it.

Simon

Re: Postfix-Amavisd quarantined mail inspection

Simon Brereton-2

Ask, not all..

On Dec 29, 2011 9:28 AM, "Simon Brereton" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Dec 29, 2011 9:15 AM, "Nikolaos Milas" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am using postfix, amavisd-new, spam assassin, clamav on a gateway system.
>
> A short question (I know it's a bit off-topic but I know that people here run similar systems):
>
> I've read how to release and/or forward quarantined mail. But can I read the quarantined mails in situ (i.e. in the quarantine directory)? Can I use some utility to display it in human-readable form and examine details (headers, subject, etc.) so I can decide whether it should be released or not?

Cat works for me - but all on the amavis list.  I believe there's a command for it.

Simon

Re: Postfix-Amavisd quarantined mail inspection

/dev/rob0
On Thursday 29 December 2011 08:15:40 Nikolaos Milas wrote:

> I am using postfix, amavisd-new, spam assassin, clamav on a
> gateway system.
>
> A short question (I know it's a bit off-topic but I know that
> people here run similar systems):
>
> I've read how to release and/or forward quarantined mail. But
> can I read the quarantined mails in situ (i.e. in the quarantine
> directory)? Can I use some utility to display it in human-
> readable form and examine details (headers, subject, etc.) so I
> can decide whether it should be released or not?

What did you try?

If the quarantine is a maildir, each message is in a separate file.
Any pager or viewer or editor can view it. I like mc(1), which has
file management bundled with a viewer and editor.

If you need more than the plaintext payload, such as MIME decoding
and/or HTML rendering (the latter might not be a good idea with spam
and virus suspects), you can open the maildir in any MUA which can
read a maildir. (You might want to open the maildir in a read-only
mode, so as to avoid moving the messages and possibly upsetting the
amavisd-new quarantine mechanism.)

And of course the amavisd-new list would be a better place to follow
up.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/ -- system administration and consulting