Postfix + CyrusSASL

ML Wong
After google-ing a few days, and trials, there are many people having
problems in having Outlook2007 or some even report Office2004 or
Office2008 (for MAC) have problems authenticating by using LOGIN in Cyrus-SASL.

In fact, it really did not work. I m wondering if any people in the
list are having the same problem. Cyrus-SASL + Postfix for SMTP AUTH
seem like only work up to Outlook 2003, any version after that will
fail. Does anyone use Cyrus-SASL + Postfix for authenticating Outlook
email clients, if so, can you share if you have a workaround?

Any help will be very appreciated.

Re: Postfix + CyrusSASL

Victor Duchovni
On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 06:42:40PM -0700, ML Wong wrote:

> After google-ing a few days, and trials, there are many people having
> problems in having Outlook2007 or some even report Office2004 or
> Office2008 (for MAC) have problems authenticating by using LOGIN in Cyrus-SASL.
>
> In fact, it really did not work. I m wondering if any people in the
> list are having the same problem. Cyrus-SASL + Postfix for SMTP AUTH
> seem like only work up to Outlook 2003, any version after that will
> fail. Does anyone use Cyrus-SASL + Postfix for authenticating Outlook
> email clients, if so, can you share if you have a workaround?
>
> Any help will be very appreciated.

Help is only possible if you provide a concrete, factual description
of your problem. Logs, configuration settings, strace/truss/ktrace
results, ... saslfinger output, ...

Anecdotes of other people allegedly having similar problems are not
terribly useful. Please post the details of your problem, and someone
may be able to help. See

Re: Postfix + CyrusSASL

Matthias Schmidt [c]
Am/On Fri, 16 May 2008 18:42:40 -0700 schrieb/wrote ML Wong:

>After google-ing a few days, and trials, there are many people having
>problems in having Outlook2007 or some even report Office2004 or
>Office2008 (for MAC) have problems authenticating by using LOGIN in
>Cyrus-SASL.

I guess you mean Apple's Mac.
MAC is Media Access Control usually the address of a network card and
you can't run Office on such a beast ;-)

>In fact, it really did not work. I m wondering if any people in the
>list are having the same problem. Cyrus-SASL + Postfix for SMTP AUTH
>seem like only work up to Outlook 2003, any version after that will
>fail. Does anyone use Cyrus-SASL + Postfix for authenticating Outlook
>email clients, if so, can you share if you have a workaround?

if you're looking for concrete postfix help you need to post more
details as Victor already wrote.

For solving your problem the OS X Server list from Apple might be the
better address, if your box is a Mac or the Cyrus list.

Thanks and all the best

Matthias