Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

12

Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

mangoo
What do you use with Postfix, if you have virtual users (i.e. in a SQL
database)?

I know web-cyradm, which works pretty well with Cyrus (IMAP/POP) and
Postfix - all users, domains, aliases etc. are stored in a SQL database.
However, web-cyradm seems to be more or less abandoned now, with the
last update from 2005.

What other options do you use with Postfix, when it comes to "web-based"
virtual users/domain/aliases management? With IMAP/POP servers like
Cyrus, Courier, Dovecot?

Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

Re: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

David Touzeau
You can use "Artica"

http://www.artica.fr

It is an Open Source web console for
Postfix/Spamassassin/Amavis/Milter-greylist ...  and cyrus-imap/pop3
with an LDAP backend system.

On 27/09/2010 12:58, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> What do you use with Postfix, if you have virtual users (i.e. in a SQL
> database)?
>
> I know web-cyradm, which works pretty well with Cyrus (IMAP/POP) and
> Postfix - all users, domains, aliases etc. are stored in a SQL database.
> However, web-cyradm seems to be more or less abandoned now, with the
> last update from 2005.
>

> What other options do you use with Postfix, when it comes to "web-based"
> virtual users/domain/aliases management? With IMAP/POP servers like
> Cyrus, Courier, Dovecot?

Re: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

julien vehent-2
On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:06:46 +0200, David Touzeau <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You can use "Artica"
>
> http://www.artica.fr
>

> It is an Open Source web console for Postfix/Spamassassin/Amavis/Milter-greylist ...  and cyrus-imap/pop3 with an LDAP backend system.

Quoting the website:
"Do not install artica on a production system already set, Artica will change your system configuration according it's needs that should not meet your configuration files. "

This is something that bugs me. Every web interface I've tried is not an interface per se, but a complete configuration manager that will break existing configuration.
Worse, they usually block you from editing your configuration manually (say, using any text editor). So if a feature isn't properly covered by the interface... well...you're screwed !

I'm interested in this topic also, if anybody knows an interface that just doesn't break manual configuration, I'm in !

Julien

!DSPAM:4ca07f14223373943411237!

RE: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

Paa.listas
I know this:

        http://isp-control.net/

Also includes web site administration

Regards,

http://wpkg.org

Re: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

Shane Dittmar
I use postfixadmin. (http://postfixadmin.sourceforge.net/) Seems to do
what I want it to do.

--
-Shane
Website: http://www.blind-geek.com
Skype: chatter8712
Twitter: @shanervr

Re: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

Patrick Ben Koetter
http://modoboa.org/

Modoboa is  a web based application to create, administrate, and use virtual
domain hosting platforms.

Modoboa stores its data in a SQL backend (like MySQL or PostgreSQL). Using
this database, you can integrate Modoboa with other mail components, such as
Postfix or Dovecot.

It is written in Python and uses the Django and Mootools frameworks.

And last but not least, Modoboa is open source and is licensed under the
MIT-license.

justified.

saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):

is there really a need for a UI to manage postfix? If so, I'm ready to
work on that.

On 28.09.2010 00:15, mouss wrote:

>> I'm interested in this topic also, if anybody knows an interface that
>> just doesn't break manual configuration, I'm in !
>
> is there really a need for a UI to manage postfix? If so, I'm ready to
> work on that.

I don't think UI is needed to manage Postfix. After all, all beauty lies
in plain text config files ;)

However, what needs UI is account management (not just SMTP, but in an
integrated manner, with POP/IMAP).

Think of:

- system administrators typically deal with configuration details,
making sure that the system runs,

- email account management is typically done by a less-technical personnel.

As I see in answers, there are all-in-one systems for that, but they are
typically overblown (contain not only SMTP/IMAP/POP management, but also
Samba, webmail, DNS etc.) - not a tool which would do one thing, but do
it well (UI just for SMTP/POP/IMAP account management).

Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

RE: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

Terry Gilsenan
  Le 27/09/2010 13:25, Julien Vehent a écrit :
> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:06:46 +0200, David Touzeau<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> You can use "Artica"

NOTE: URL removed for security purposes - contact [hidden email] for support.

There is a UI for postfix, its called vi.

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 00:29:46 +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28.09.2010 00:15, mouss wrote:
>
>>> I'm interested in this topic also, if anybody knows an interface that
>>> just doesn't break manual configuration, I'm in !
>>
>> is there really a need for a UI to manage postfix? If so, I'm ready to
>> work on that.
>
> I don't think UI is needed to manage Postfix. After all, all beauty lies in plain text config files ;)
>
> However, what needs UI is account management (not just SMTP, but in an integrated manner, with POP/IMAP).
>

> Think of:
>
> - system administrators typically deal with configuration details, making sure that the system runs,
>
> - email account management is typically done by a less-technical personnel.
>

> As I see in answers, there are all-in-one systems for that, but they are typically overblown (contain not only SMTP/IMAP/POP management, but also Samba, webmail, DNS etc.) - not a tool which would do one thing, but do it well (UI just for SMTP/POP/IMAP account management).

I came to the same conclusion. There is no way I'm going to install a webui that imposes a mysql database to store the configuration (seriously ? a relational database for a flat configuration file ?).
I'm considering having an interface that wouldn't break normal configuration process (that is: vim /etc/postfix/main.cf). But instead would read and write flat file, update them, commit them, and so on...
That can be useful for preventing bad configurations, keeping history and doing rollbacks and such. And also being attractive for xyz beginners postmasters who are scared of the big scary black and white terminal.

Is there really a need for that ? not so sure...

Julien

!DSPAM:4ca121ad223371151495106!

On 28.09.2010 00:58, Julien Vehent wrote:

>> Think of:
>>
>> - system administrators typically deal with configuration details,
>> making sure that the system runs,
>>
>> - email account management is typically done by a less-technical
>> personnel.
>>

>> As I see in answers, there are all-in-one systems for that, but
>> they are typically overblown (contain not only SMTP/IMAP/POP
>> management, but also Samba, webmail, DNS etc.) - not a tool which
>> would do one thing, but do it well (UI just for SMTP/POP/IMAP
>> account management).
>
> I came to the same conclusion. There is no way I'm going to install a
> webui that imposes a mysql database to store the configuration
> (seriously ? a relational database for a flat configuration file ?).

Some kind of a database is good for several reasons (when storing users):

- allows you to scale beyond one server easily,

- same database can be used by Postfix *and* its POP/IMAP counterpart
(often running on different servers).

> I'm considering having an interface that wouldn't break normal
> configuration process (that is: vim /etc/postfix/main.cf). But
> instead would read and write flat file, update them, commit them, and
> so on... That can be useful for preventing bad configurations,
> keeping history and doing rollbacks and such.

General Postfix configurator (UI for master.cf, main.cf and friends) is
a different thing.

> And also being
> attractive for xyz beginners postmasters who are scared of the big
> scary black and white terminal.

They can always try to port Postfix to Windows!

Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

Re: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

David Touzeau
The best interface that did not break your settings is "webmin"

On 28/09/2010 00:50, Terry Gilsenan wrote:

> [...]

Eero Volotinen-2
2010/9/28 David Touzeau <[hidden email]>:
> The best interface that did not break your settings is "webmin"

Really? Bad memories from past ..

When I was involved in small isp business, patched version of
postfixadmin did the tricks..

Eero

Re: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

Charles Marcus
On 2010-09-27 6:29 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> As I see in answers, there are all-in-one systems for that, but they are
> typically overblown (contain not only SMTP/IMAP/POP management, but also
> Samba, webmail, DNS etc.) - not a tool which would do one thing, but do
> it well (UI just for SMTP/POP/IMAP account management).

Someone already recommended postfixadmin...

--

Best regards,

Charles

Re: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

whitemice
On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 00:15 +0200, mouss wrote:
> Le 27/09/2010 13:25, Julien Vehent a écrit :
> > On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:06:46 +0200, David Touzeau<[hidden email]>  wrote:
> I'm interested in this topic also, if anybody knows an interface that
> just doesn't break manual configuration, I'm in !

IMO, so long as services cling to text files for configuration rather
than configuration via an API such tools are *impossible*

> is there really a need for a UI to manage postfix?

I don't think so.  How often do you really change Postfix config?  If
you can manage alaises, mail routes, etc... in whatever database Postfix
uses [LDAP?] I don't see much need for such an application to touch the
Postfix config.  Properly configured you can control just about
everything useful via maps and look-ups.  LDAP od DB interfaces are a
dime-a-dozen.

Re: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

Joe-274
Eero Volotinen wrote:

> 2010/9/28 David Touzeau <[hidden email]>:
>
>> The best interface that did not break your settings is "webmin"
>>

> Really? Bad memories from past ..
>
> When I was involved in small isp business, patched version of
> postfixadmin did the tricks..

Hmm, webmin has worked very well for me. Particularly where you have
multiple sys admins, some of them experienced and some of them not so
experienced. Personally, I like to use postconf and vi to manage postfix
configuration, but when I share duties with someone who's not
comfortable in a unix command line environment, I make sure they have
webmin access. Webmin doesn't interfere with my manual edits, and my
manual edits don't interfere with webmin.

Webmin is useful not only for postfix, but also for ip tables, dns, dhcp
and other facilities.

Joe

  Le 28/09/2010 14:17, Adam Tauno Williams a écrit :

> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 00:15 +0200, mouss wrote:
>> Le 27/09/2010 13:25, Julien Vehent a écrit :
>>> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:06:46 +0200, David Touzeau<[hidden email]>   wrote:
>> I'm interested in this topic also, if anybody knows an interface that
>> just doesn't break manual configuration, I'm in !
> IMO, so long as services cling to text files for configuration rather
> than configuration via an API such tools are *impossible*
>
>> is there really a need for a UI to manage postfix?
> I don't think so.  How often do you really change Postfix config?  If
> you can manage alaises, mail routes, etc... in whatever database Postfix
> uses [LDAP?] I don't see much need for such an application to touch the
> Postfix config.  Properly configured you can control just about
> everything useful via maps and look-ups.  LDAP od DB interfaces are a
> dime-a-dozen.

That's what I had in mind: most config changes I do in postfix are not
postfix related. I consider users, mailboxes, .. management to be
outside of the MTA. and for the rest (postfix parameters), I rarely
change them. and when I play with postfix, I don't see how I would allow
that via a remote web UI without being concerned about security. so I
don't see myself writing a suid cgi to run an action that requires
prvilges.

Re: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

Jeroen Geilman
On 09/28/2010 02:17 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-09-28 at 00:15 +0200, mouss wrote:
>
>> Le 27/09/2010 13:25, Julien Vehent a écrit :
>>
>>> On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:06:46 +0200, David Touzeau<[hidden email]>   wrote:
>>>
>> I'm interested in this topic also, if anybody knows an interface that
>> just doesn't break manual configuration, I'm in !
>>
> IMO, so long as services cling to text files for configuration rather
> than configuration via an API such tools are *impossible*

Postfix has a configuration API - postconf -e
It's not a full API, in that it doesn't prevent you from doing
meaningless or stupid things, and you can't alter transports with it,
but for the 600-odd configuration settings, it works fine.

Any "UI" that wants to stand a chance at managing postfix properly
should use postconf.

J.

Re: Postfix, POP/IMAP server, virtual users, web administration - what do you use?

Zhang Huangbin

On Sep 27, 2010, at 6:58 PM, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:

> What do you use with Postfix, if you have virtual users (i.e. in a SQL database)?
>
> I know web-cyradm, which works pretty well with Cyrus (IMAP/POP) and Postfix - all users, domains, aliases etc. are stored in a SQL database. However, web-cyradm seems to be more or less abandoned now, with the last update from 2005.
>

> What other options do you use with Postfix, when it comes to "web-based" virtual users/domain/aliases management? With IMAP/POP servers like Cyrus, Courier, Dovecot?

Another one: iRedMail + iRedAdmin. It's under active development.

iRedMail: http://www.iredmail.org/
iRedAdmin: http://www.iredmail.org/admin_panel.html

  Le 29/09/2010 02:33, Jeroen Geilman a écrit :

> On 09/28/2010 02:17 PM, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>>> I'm interested in this topic also, if anybody knows an interface that
>>> just doesn't break manual configuration, I'm in !
>> IMO, so long as services cling to text files for configuration rather
>> than configuration via an API such tools are *impossible*
>
> Postfix has a configuration API - postconf -e
> It's not a full API, in that it doesn't prevent you from doing
> meaningless or stupid things, and you can't alter transports with it,
> but for the 600-odd configuration settings, it works fine.
>
> Any "UI" that wants to stand a chance at managing postfix properly
> should use postconf.

bet to disagree. postconf doesn't manage "unknown" variables. given that
my main.cf is full of these...

12