Postfix [Postfwd2 error]

Emanuel
Hello,

In /var/log/maillog i see this error, which produce an excessive cpu usage

postfwd2/policy[4807]: warning: Complex regular subexpression recursion
limit (32766) exceeded at /opt/postfix/postfwd/sbin/postfwd2 line 1168,
<$fh> line 230.?

any ideas?

Re: Postfix [Postfwd2 error]

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Apr 12, 2018, at 3:35 PM, Emanuel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In /var/log/maillog i see this error, which produce an excessive cpu usage
>
> postfwd2/policy[4807]: warning: Complex regular subexpression recursion limit (32766) exceeded at /opt/postfix/postfwd/sbin/postfwd2 line 1168, <$fh> line 230.?
>
> any ideas?

Avoid complex regular expressions.

Re: Postfix [Postfwd2 error]

Emanuel
Hello, thanks for reply.

any idea what file to review???

Regards,

El 12/04/18 a las 16:39, Viktor Dukhovni escribió:
> Avoid complex regular expressions.

Re: Postfix [Postfwd2 error]

Bill Cole-3
On 12 Apr 2018, at 15:43, Emanuel wrote:

> Hello, thanks for reply.
>
> any idea what file to review???

The error message tells you, after a fashion:

> postfwd2/policy[4807]: warning: Complex regular subexpression
> recursion limit (32766) exceeded at /opt/postfix/postfwd/sbin/postfwd2
> line 1168, <$fh> line 230.?

Perhaps ask whoever maintains "postfwd2" what they mean by "<$fh>" ?

Re: Postfix [Postfwd2 error]

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Apr 12, 2018, at 5:57 PM, Bill Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> postfwd2/policy[4807]: warning: Complex regular subexpression recursion limit (32766) exceeded at /opt/postfix/postfwd/sbin/postfwd2 line 1168, <$fh> line 230.?
>
> Perhaps ask whoever maintains "postfwd2" what they mean by "<$fh>" ?

The "<$fh>" is not the issue. The problem is on line 1168 of the postfwd2
Perl script, while matching a regular expression against line 230 of the
file handle <$fh>.

So the think to check with the author of postfwd2 is what's going on
with the regular expresssion on line 1168.

Re: Postfix [Postfwd2 error]

Bill Cole-3
On 12 Apr 2018, at 18:20, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

>> On Apr 12, 2018, at 5:57 PM, Bill Cole
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> postfwd2/policy[4807]: warning: Complex regular subexpression
>>> recursion limit (32766) exceeded at
>>> /opt/postfix/postfwd/sbin/postfwd2 line 1168, <$fh> line 230.?
>>
>> Perhaps ask whoever maintains "postfwd2" what they mean by "<$fh>" ?
>
> The "<$fh>" is not the issue. The problem is on line 1168 of the
> postfwd2
> Perl script, while matching a regular expression against line 230 of
> the
> file handle <$fh>.

One would expect that I'd recognize that error message but it seems that
I need to write MORE bad Perl. In my defense, I don't use postfwd2 and
didn't know it was written in Perl.

> So the thing to check with the author of postfwd2 is what's going on
> with the regular expression on line 1168.

That is a scary one. It seems like an attempt to express all of the
leniencies in a config format in a single regex, where a preliminary
canonicalization (reducing all runs of whitespace to a single space
maybe?) would eliminate the need for some of the complexities.

But yes, that's really an issue to take up with the author and/or other
postfwd2 users. The postfwd.org site indicates that a user mailing list
exists.

Re: Postfix [Postfwd2 error]

Jan P. Kessler

>> So the thing to check with the author of postfwd2 is what's going on
>> with the regular expression on line 1168.
>
> That is a scary one. It seems like an attempt to express all of the
> leniencies in a config format in a single regex, where a preliminary
> canonicalization (reducing all runs of whitespace to a single space
> maybe?) would eliminate the need for some of the complexities.

postfwd takes regular expressions from a user's configuration file.
These expressions were malformed (starting from line 230 in the config
file).

> But yes, that's really an issue to take up with the author and/or
> other postfwd2 users. The postfwd.org site indicates that a user
> mailing list exists.

Yep, that's the right place for it. Sorry, for the "noise" :)