Postfix, Procmail, Mailman

John [H2O]
Hello,

I did a foolish thing and created a Mailman list with the same name as a user on my machine (actually, it was a decision to add the user later). The user is not human, but I need to be able to send email to the user now. I'm trying to use procmail to filter the emails before they get to mailman. I've had marginal success, please see:
http://www.nabble.com/procmail-before-mailman-tp17789754p17829328.html

I think my problem now may be in postfix, rather than Mailman. Does anyone have any ideas here??
THank you, john

Re: Postfix, Procmail, Mailman

Victor Duchovni
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:30:16AM -0700, washakie wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I did a foolish thing and created a Mailman list with the same name as a
> user on my machine (actually, it was a decision to add the user later). The
> user is not human, but I need to be able to send email to the user now. I'm
> trying to use procmail to filter the emails before they get to mailman. I've
> had marginal success, please see:
> http://www.nabble.com/procmail-before-mailman-tp17789754p17829328.html
>
> I think my problem now may be in postfix, rather than Mailman. Does anyone
> have any ideas here??

Rename the user or the list.

Re: Postfix, Procmail, Mailman

John [H2O]
Yes,

I was trying to avoid that, but I believe it will be the best solution now. Renaming the user is not an option, and - well - from what I've read:
http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/faq.html  (scroll to the bottom)

renaming a list is not a lot of fun!
-john

THank you, john

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:45:25AM -0700, washakie wrote:

> Yes,
>
> I was trying to avoid that, but I believe it will be the best solution now.
> Renaming the user is not an option, and - well - from what I've read:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/faq.html  (scroll to the bottom)
>
> renaming a list is not a lot of fun!

Your other choice is to arrange for the user and the list to have their
email addresses in different domains, in which case a common localpart
is not necessarily a problem.

Re: Postfix, Procmail, Mailman

John [H2O]

Victor Duchovni wrote

Your other choice is to arrange for the user and the list to have their
email addresses in different domains, in which case a common localpart
is not necessarily a problem.
So, I thought about trying this as well, but I can't seem to get it to work. I should use the 'virtual' table, correct?

Where my username==listname (localpart do you call that?), I have it set:

listname@machine.com listname

Then I tried to use a .forward in the listname $HOME directory, initiating procmail. But this didn't work either. I guess, I'm confused (well, I KNOW I'm confused - actually), because even if I set different domains, isn't the mail ultimately going to get routed to the same place? i.e. user=listname?

Hope that makes some sense..

Re: Postfix, Procmail, Mailman

Jorey Bump
washakie wrote, at 06/13/2008 02:59 PM:

> Victor Duchovni wrote:
>>
>> Your other choice is to arrange for the user and the list to have their
>> email addresses in different domains, in which case a common localpart
>> is not necessarily a problem.
>
> So, I thought about trying this as well, but I can't seem to get it to work.
> I should use the 'virtual' table, correct?
>
> Where my username==listname (localpart do you call that?), I have it set:
>
> [hidden email] listname
>
> Then I tried to use a .forward in the listname $HOME directory, initiating
> procmail. But this didn't work either. I guess, I'm confused (well, I KNOW
> I'm confused - actually), because even if I set different domains, isn't the
> mail ultimately going to get routed to the same place? i.e. user=listname?
>
> Hope that makes some sense..

It might be easier to offer advice if you tell us which address must not
change. For example, if the address is [hidden email], and you can
change this for the list, you can do:

  [hidden email]  foolist
  [hidden email]        foo

You also say that the user is not human, but renaming it is not an
option. Why is that? Is it the address you can't change, or the login?

Re: Postfix, Procmail, Mailman

John [H2O]

Jorey Bump wrote
It might be easier to offer advice if you tell us which address must not
change. For example, if the address is foo@example.com, and you can
change this for the list, you can do:

  foo@lists.example.com  foolist
  foo@example.com        foo

You also say that the user is not human, but renaming it is not an
option. Why is that? Is it the address you can't change, or the login?
The username is used for running variaous applications, and this cannot change. So, what I have is a list called 'operator' and a user called 'operator' on my machine 'hostname'.

Currently, I have it set up such that:

operator@hostname is delivered blindly to mailman for distribution to the 'operator' list.

I want to intercept 'operator@hostname' to first be filtered by procmail, then delivered to the list.

I could potential use virtual and have something like:

operator@hostname operator
operator@lists.hostname operator

but would that work? Or does that not accomplish anything?

*sigh* I think the easiest is going to be do just rename the list... :S

Thank for all the input.