Postfix TLS and M$ Outlook Express

Michael Hallager
Has anyone else here found incompatibilities between these two?

My TLS implementation works fine sending from KDE Kmail, but I can't use
Outlook Express' secure option.

Re: Postfix TLS and M$ Outlook Express

Scott Kitterman-4
On Wednesday 20 August 2008 20:01, Michael wrote:
> Has anyone else here found incompatibilities between these two?
>
> My TLS implementation works fine sending from KDE Kmail, but I can't use
> Outlook Express' secure option.

Depending on the version of OE involved (I believe the current version finally
support TLS) you'll need to enable SMTPS on port 465 to support OE via SSL.

Scott K

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 01:07:12 Dave wrote:
> Hello,
> When i used outlook express and tls it worked fine. There's sasl issues
> with OE, if your using sasl i do have a fix for those i'll have to look in
> my main.cf, but it's an issue.
> Dave.

SASL works for me with OE.

It's TLS that is failing. I will come back to the list with more info like
error messages etc.

Re: Postfix TLS and M$ Outlook Express

Brian Evans - Postfix List
Michael wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 01:07:12 Dave wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> When i used outlook express and tls it worked fine. There's sasl issues
>> with OE, if your using sasl i do have a fix for those i'll have to look in
>> my main.cf, but it's an issue.
>> Dave.
>>

> SASL works for me with OE.
>
> It's TLS that is failing. I will come back to the list with more info like
> error messages etc.

Please review the DEBUG_README.
Particularly http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#sniffer for your case.

Also read http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail.

Brian

Michael wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 01:07:12 Dave wrote:
>> Hello,
>> When i used outlook express and tls it worked fine. There's sasl issues
>> with OE, if your using sasl i do have a fix for those i'll have to look in
>> my main.cf, but it's an issue.
>> Dave.
>
> SASL works for me with OE.
>
> It's TLS that is failing. I will come back to the list with more info like
> error messages etc.

Make sure you DON'T check the "use secure authentication" or
"Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" box. That's a MS thingy.

With some versions of OE, postfix will need to listen on the
"smtps" port 465.  See the example for enabling tls wrappermode:
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#server_enable

OpenSSL is a great tool for testing TLS connectivity.  You can
get a windows version here:
http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html

To test port 25 or 587 STARTTLS support:
openssl s_client -connect hostname:port -starttls smtp

To test port 465 wrappermode:
openssl s_client -connect hostname:465

If it works, you should see a couple of screens of SSL
handshake info followed by the postfix greeting banner.

Noel Jones

Re: Postfix TLS and M$ Outlook Express

Jerry-107
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 11:34:14 -0500
Noel Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Michael wrote:
>> On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 01:07:12 Dave wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> When i used outlook express and tls it worked fine. There's sasl
>>> issues with OE, if your using sasl i do have a fix for those i'll
>>> have to look in my main.cf, but it's an issue.
>>> Dave.
>>
>> SASL works for me with OE.
>>
>> It's TLS that is failing. I will come back to the list with more
>> info like error messages etc.
>
>Make sure you DON'T check the "use secure authentication" or
>"Secure Password Authentication (SPA)" box. That's a MS thingy.
>
>With some versions of OE, postfix will need to listen on the
>"smtps" port 465.  See the example for enabling tls wrappermode:
>http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#server_enable
>
>OpenSSL is a great tool for testing TLS connectivity.  You can
>get a windows version here:
>http://www.slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html
>
>To test port 25 or 587 STARTTLS support:
>openssl s_client -connect hostname:port -starttls smtp
>
>To test port 465 wrappermode:
>openssl s_client -connect hostname:465
>
>If it works, you should see a couple of screens of SSL
>handshake info followed by the postfix greeting banner.
I found this. I am not sure if it will benefit you or not.

http://www.usenet-forums.com/mailing-postfix-users/180570-re-tls-outlook-express-port-587-a.html

--
Jerry

Re: Postfix TLS and M$ Outlook Express

Scott Kitterman-4
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:39:47 +1200 "Michael Hallager"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

Note the port number (25).  More than one person has suggested you need to
set up smtps on port 465.  You do.

>For some unknown reason POP3 also fails as well with SSL selected.
>
>Both work fine with TLS set under KDE Kmail.

Kmail does TLS on port 25 just fine.

>>> It's TLS that is failing. I will come back to the list with more info
>>> like
>>> error messages etc.
>>>

>> Please review the DEBUG_README.
>> Particularly http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#sniffer for your
>> case.
>>
>> Also read http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail.

Note that the Postfix logs will likely be more useful than the error
messages you've posted so far.  I suggest another read of the DEBUG_README.

Scott K