Postfix and Maildrop Config

Markus Rosjat
Hi there,

I#m trying to get Maildrop to work with postfix but:

  - if I run it in direct mode
    - it insists on a user as arg  even I have truesed user enabled and
      setuid bit is enabled

  - if I run it in indirect mode
     - I got told postfix/qmgr[1116]: warning: connect to transport
       private/maildrop: Connection refused

I followed the docs here and have a ldap directory for my user
authentication.

Since I noticed ppl don't really bother with less information I like to
point out that I'm totally new to the whole postfix thing so just trow
me a bone even you don't like the ways I describe the problem . please

regards

--
Markus Rosjat    fon: +49 351 8107223    mail: [hidden email]

G+H Webservice GbR Gorzolla, Herrmann
Königsbrücker Str. 70, 01099 Dresden

http://www.ghweb.de
fon: +49 351 8107220   fax: +49 351 8107227

Bitte prüfen Sie, ob diese Mail wirklich ausgedruckt werden muss! Before
you print it, think about your responsibility and commitment to the
ENVIRONMENT

Re: Postfix and Maildrop Config

Bill Cole-3
On 6 Sep 2017, at 8:28, Markus Rosjat wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I#m trying to get Maildrop to work with postfix but:
>
>  - if I run it in direct mode
>    - it insists on a user as arg  even I have truesed user enabled and
>      setuid bit is enabled
>
>  - if I run it in indirect mode
>     - I got told postfix/qmgr[1116]: warning: connect to transport
>       private/maildrop: Connection refused
>
> I followed the docs here and have a ldap directory for my user
> authentication.
>
> Since I noticed ppl don't really bother with less information I like
> to point out that I'm totally new to the whole postfix thing so just
> trow me a bone even you don't like the ways I describe the problem .
> please

Here's a bone: http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail

You have not provided enough solid information about your configuration
to let us help you efficiently. That section of the DEBUG_README file
specifically explains what info is generally needed.

Also, note what the distribution version of master.cf says:

    # maildrop. See the Postfix MAILDROP_README file for details.
    # Also specify in main.cf: maildrop_destination_recipient_limit=1

Finally, since maildrop is a component of the Courier MTA, you may find
more knowledge regarding its use in the Courier user community.
Obviously some Postfix users do use maildrop but it is not the most
common LDA choice for Postfix. I'd be surprised if it is even in the top
4.

Re: Postfix and Maildrop Config

Markus Rosjat
well I looked at MAILDROP_README ...didn't help much because it explains
the config and I did so. I will take a look at the debug readme but well
I can read my logs and it didnt help me even with a very verbose output.

for maildrop, I need to migrate courier maildirs so I need to support
.mailfilter files.

for the config, it's a thing in progress ...

thanks

Markus

Am 06.09.2017 um 15:06 schrieb Bill Cole:

> On 6 Sep 2017, at 8:28, Markus Rosjat wrote:
>
> Here's a bone: http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
>
> You have not provided enough solid information about your configuration
> to let us help you efficiently. That section of the DEBUG_README file
> specifically explains what info is generally needed.
>
> Also, note what the distribution version of master.cf says:
>
>     # maildrop. See the Postfix MAILDROP_README file for details.
>     # Also specify in main.cf: maildrop_destination_recipient_limit=1
>
> Finally, since maildrop is a component of the Courier MTA, you may find
> more knowledge regarding its use in the Courier user community.
> Obviously some Postfix users do use maildrop but it is not the most
> common LDA choice for Postfix. I'd be surprised if it is even in the top 4.

--
Markus Rosjat    fon: +49 351 8107223    mail: [hidden email]

G+H Webservice GbR Gorzolla, Herrmann
Königsbrücker Str. 70, 01099 Dresden

http://www.ghweb.de
fon: +49 351 8107220   fax: +49 351 8107227

Bitte prüfen Sie, ob diese Mail wirklich ausgedruckt werden muss! Before
you print it, think about your responsibility and commitment to the
ENVIRONMENT

Re: Postfix and Maildrop Config

stroller-6

> On 6 Sep 2017, at 14:06, Bill Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>  Obviously some Postfix users do use maildrop but it is not the most common LDA choice for Postfix. I'd be surprised if it is even in the top 4.

Perhaps this question is off topic, but what MTAs are more favoured, please?

I've been very happy with a fechmail ⇒ maildrop system, but have to set up a new server soon.

Stroller.

Re: Postfix and Maildrop Config

Robert Schetterer-2
Am 07.09.2017 um 17:09 schrieb Stroller:

>> On 6 Sep 2017, at 14:06, Bill Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Obviously some Postfix users do use maildrop but it is not the most common LDA choice for Postfix. I'd be surprised if it is even in the top 4.
>
> Perhaps this question is off topic, but what MTAs are more favoured, please?
>
> I've been very happy with a fechmail ⇒ maildrop system, but have to set up a new server soon.
>
> Stroller.

 see getmail

http://pyropus.ca/software/getmail/documentation.html#features

perhaps then no need for maildrop/procmail anymore, depends what you
goal add dovecot / sieve

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG, 80333 München

On 7 Sep 2017, at 11:09, Stroller wrote:

>> On 6 Sep 2017, at 14:06, Bill Cole
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  Obviously some Postfix users do use maildrop but it is not the most
>> common LDA choice for Postfix. I'd be surprised if it is even in the
>> top 4.
>
> Perhaps this question is off topic, but what MTAs are more favoured,
> please?

You may have misinterpreted my use of "it" in the second sentence... I
was not referring to Postfix (a Mail Transport Agent) but to maildrop (a
Local Delivery Agent.)

For Postfix, the LDAs that are surely more common are its own 'local'
and 'virtual' LDAs as well as LMTP (which isn't precisely a LDA but is
used like one.) I suspect that the Dovecot LDA (also known as 'deliver')
and procmail are very likely to be more common than maildrop for use
with Postfix.

On 7 Sep 2017, at 2:57, Markus Rosjat wrote:

> I will take a look at the debug readme but well I can read my logs

I made that specific suggestion because that is where you will find a
detailed list of what information should be included when seeking help
on this mailing list.

The purpose of providing 'postconf -nf' and 'postconf -Mf' output and
relevant non-verbose log entries is to get enough information to people
who are NOT new to Postfix so that we have some chance of seeing the
source of the problem. Simply asserting that you've followed the docs
and can read your logs does not constitute evidence that you have
*correctly* understood the docs or the logs. It also does not eliminate
the possibility that you've made a simple typo somewhere in your config
that a different set of eyes might catch.

> and it didnt help me even with a very verbose output.

Postfix verbose logging is rarely useful for working out. It is more
often a cause of excess noise that makes the actually relevant logging
harder to see.

Re: Postfix and Maildrop Config

stroller-6

> On 7 Sep 2017, at 22:05, Bill Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 7 Sep 2017, at 11:09, Stroller wrote:
>
>>> On 6 Sep 2017, at 14:06, Bill Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Obviously some Postfix users do use maildrop but it is not the most common LDA choice for Postfix. I'd be surprised if it is even in the top 4.
>>
>> Perhaps this question is off topic, but what MTAs are more favoured, please?
>
> You may have misinterpreted my use of "it" in the second sentence... I was not referring to Postfix (a Mail Transport Agent) but to maildrop (a Local Delivery Agent.)

No, I'm afraid I used the wrong terminology. I did indeed intend to ask about LDA's.D

> For Postfix, the LDAs that are surely more common are its own 'local' and 'virtual' LDAs as well as LMTP (which isn't precisely a LDA but is used like one.) I suspect that the Dovecot LDA (also known as 'deliver') and procmail are very likely to be more common than maildrop for use with Postfix.

Will look into these. Thanks.

Stroller.