Postfix and UUCP

Robert Wolfe
Hi all.

I run an old-school DOS-based BBS that uses the UUCP protocol to transfer internet email.  I would like to set up a Postfix box that sits on the internet, fetches and stores email and then forwards it via UUCP when the the BBS, running FX UUCICO, connects to transfer the mail and send out any new outbound mail.

So far, the only somewhat decent instructions I have found to do this are at:

http://www.postfix.org/UUCP_README.html

And

http://www.postfix.org/UUCP_README.html#lan-uucp .

Is this the only way that this can be done and if so, has anyone on the mailing list ever successfully implemented the setup documented here?

Re: Postfix and UUCP

Kiss Gábor
> I run an old-school DOS-based BBS that uses the UUCP protocol to transfer
> internet email.  I would like to set up a Postfix box that sits on the
> internet, fetches and stores email and then forwards it via UUCP when the the
> BBS, running FX UUCICO, connects to transfer the mail and send out any new
> outbound mail.
>
> So far, the only somewhat decent instructions I have found to do this are at:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/UUCP_README.html
>
> And
>
> http://www.postfix.org/UUCP_README.html#lan-uucp .
>
> Is this the only way that this can be done and if so, has anyone on the
> mailing list ever successfully implemented the setup documented here?

As I remember the only way to injecting mails into UUCP spool is
via command 'rmail'. You should use it anyway.

Gabor

Re: Postfix and UUCP

@lbutlr
On Mar 1, 2016, at 11:17 PM, Wolfe, Robert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Is this the only way that this can be done and if so, has anyone on the mailing list ever successfully implemented the setup documented here?

I last used UUCP for a similar purpose, to get email and USENET posts from an BBS out to the Internet (though it was not with postfix as far as I recall). I doubt that any development or improvements have been made to this, as UUCP is nearly never used and dates from the days of email addresses with ! or % in them.

The setup looks reasonably straightforward, what problems are you seeing there?

--
In the words of one of the founding Igors: 'We belong dead? Ecthcuthe
me? Where doeth it thay "we"?'