Postfix installation guid

12

Postfix installation guid

Kranti Kiran Patnaik-2
Hi,

Can someone share a very good postfix 2.10 installation guide for managing 2-5million emails per day? My current postfix is unable to handle such large volume as lot of emails are getting stuck in the incoming folder and thus the deliveries are delayed upto 2-3 days. My current postfix configuration is on the following platform

OS: RHELRed Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga) 32bit
RAM: 4GB
Postfix: postfix-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2, postfix-pflogsumm-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2 (rpms installed which come through RHEL5.4)

Dovecot: dovecot-1.0.7-7.el5

output of postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
bounce_queue_lifetime = 0
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
default_destination_recipient_limit = 5
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
initial_destination_concurrency = 2
local_recipient_maps =
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
maximal_queue_lifetime = 0
message_size_limit = 19240000
non_smtpd_milters = unix:/var/run/dkim-milter/dkim-milter.sock, unix:/var/run/dk-milter/dk-milter.sock
notify_classes = bounce, delay, resource
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
queue_run_delay = 2m
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination, reject_unknown_sender_domain
smtpd_delay_reject = no
smtpd_error_sleep_time = 1s
smtpd_hard_error_limit = 20
smtpd_milters = unix:/var/run/dkim-milter/dkim-milter.sock, unix:/var/run/dk-milter/dk-milter.sock
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender = yes
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_soft_error_limit = 10
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

cat /etc/transport
yahoo.com       slow:yahoo.com
yahoo.us        slow:yahoo.us
yahoo.ca        slow:yahoo.ca
yahoo.fr        slow:yahoo.fr
yahoo.de        slow:yahoo.de
yahoo.es        slow:yahoo.es
gmail.com       gmail:gmail.com
msn.com         hotmail:msn.com
hotmail.com     hotmail:hotmail.com
cox.net         cox:cox.net
--------------------------------

cat /etc/postfix/virtual

----------------------------------
I am using dkim-milter also.

The same kind of configuration is there for my other smtp server and it processes fine, but in case of this server it is not able to handle bulk mails. How to resolve this issue.
--
Thanks & Regards,
Kranti Kiran Patnaik

Re: Postfix installation guid

tejas sarade
The most important thing when sorting out delay is to check logs for delay. It will give the processing time each Postfix component spent on email. Also check the full header of delayed mail.

Read this two manuals.

Postfix Performance tunning guide

Postfix Bottleneck analysis

Can you provide the current load and memory usage with current configuration. Because I see a lot of bottleneck with this configuration.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 6:09 PM, Kranti Kiran Patnaik <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Re: Postfix installation guide

Kranti Kiran Patnaik:

> Hi,
>
> Can someone share a very good postfix 2.10 installation guide for managing
> 2-5million emails per day? My current postfix is unable to handle such
> large volume as lot of emails are getting stuck in the incoming folder and
> thus the deliveries are delayed upto 2-3 days. My current postfix
> configuration is on the following platform
>
> cat /etc/transport
> yahoo.com       slow:yahoo.com
> yahoo.co.in     slow:yahoo.co.in
> yahoo.co.uk     slow:yahoo.co.uk
> yahoo.us        slow:yahoo.us
> yahoo.ca        slow:yahoo.ca
> yahoo.fr        slow:yahoo.fr
> yahoogroups.com slow:yahoogroups.com
> yahoo.co.nz     slow:yahoo.co.nz
> yahoo-inc.com   slow:yahoo-inc.com
> yahoo.de        slow:yahoo.de
> yahoo.co.kr     slow:yahoo.co.kr
> yahoo.es        slow:yahoo.es
> gmail.com       gmail:gmail.com
> msn.com         hotmail:msn.com
> hotmail.com     hotmail:hotmail.com
> cox.net         cox:cox.net

If you are sending 2.5M/day to Uahoo etc. then you need to make
arrangements with the receiving sites. Search for the Yahoo etc.
postmaster webpages.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/bulkv2.html
http://postmaster.aol.com/

etc.

Re: Postfix installation guid

lists@rhsoft.net

Am 23.11.2013 13:39, schrieb Kranti Kiran Patnaik:
> Can someone share a very good postfix 2.10 installation guide for managing 2-5million emails per day? My current
> postfix is unable to handle such large volume as lot of emails are getting stuck in the incoming folder and thus
> the deliveries are delayed upto 2-3 days. My current postfix configuration is on the following platform
>
> OS: RHELRed Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga) 32bit
> RAM: 4GB
> Postfix: postfix-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2, postfix-pflogsumm-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2 (rpms installed which come through RHEL5.4)

for that high traffic you need *exremly* fast disks
which means a RAID with as much disks as possible

i would go so far to say you need more than one MX
to spread the load

http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2011/02/10/understanding-disk-i-o-when-should-you-be-worried

Am 23.11.2013 15:25, schrieb Kranti Kiran Patnaik:

> I am going to have atleast 5 servers now to share the load, how do i split the MX?
> Can you guide me, do you have any documentation?
>
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM, [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
>     Am 23.11.2013 13:39, schrieb Kranti Kiran Patnaik:
>     > Can someone share a very good postfix 2.10 installation guide for managing 2-5million emails per day? My current
>     > postfix is unable to handle such large volume as lot of emails are getting stuck in the incoming folder and thus
>     > the deliveries are delayed upto 2-3 days. My current postfix configuration is on the following platform
>     >
>     > OS: RHELRed Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga) 32bit
>     > RAM: 4GB
>     > Postfix: postfix-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2, postfix-pflogsumm-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2 (rpms installed which come through RHEL5.4)
>
>     for that high traffic you need *exremly* fast disks
>     which means a RAID with as much disks as possible
>
>     i would go so far to say you need more than one MX
>     to spread the load
>
>     http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2011/02/10/understanding-disk-i-o-when-should-you-be-worried

* don't reply off-list
* don't top-post

https://www.google.at/search?q=email+MX+round+robin

if you meant to *send* 5 Mio mails per day that is another story
forget it - you will hit all sort of rate-limits until you
can not spread the outgoing messages over differnt source
IP's - in that case no further support of me because i hardly
can think of 5 Mio *legit* mails per day which is not spam

it is a bad idea if you are new in maintain a mailserver
start with such a big beast - that will not work

Re: Postfix installation guid

Kranti Kiran Patnaik-2
Hi

We will have all *legit* mails only. Currently we are sending around 1.5 - 2 million emails per day and 5 million would be an expansion. We handle these for our clients. So with current congestion going on, we are expanding. Bounces are being handled by a program already. I have to now configure these servers which can give better performance and no delays whatsoever. In the 4GB RAM it puts much of load currently, and hence going ahead with 16GB RAM and 1TB hard disks with 10k rpm servers. The servers are connected to a 100Mbit pipe, hence no bandwidth issue. With my postconf atleast can you tell me how to avoid delays so that i can fix the current problem that i have.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Am 23.11.2013 15:25, schrieb Kranti Kiran Patnaik:
> I am going to have atleast 5 servers now to share the load, how do i split the MX?
> Can you guide me, do you have any documentation?
>
> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 7:51 PM, [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>
>     Am 23.11.2013 13:39, schrieb Kranti Kiran Patnaik:
>     > Can someone share a very good postfix 2.10 installation guide for managing 2-5million emails per day? My current
>     > postfix is unable to handle such large volume as lot of emails are getting stuck in the incoming folder and thus
>     > the deliveries are delayed upto 2-3 days. My current postfix configuration is on the following platform
>     >
>     > OS: RHELRed Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.4 (Tikanga) 32bit
>     > RAM: 4GB
>     > Postfix: postfix-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2, postfix-pflogsumm-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2 (rpms installed which come through RHEL5.4)
>
>     for that high traffic you need *exremly* fast disks
>     which means a RAID with as much disks as possible
>
>     i would go so far to say you need more than one MX
>     to spread the load
>
>     http://blog.scoutapp.com/articles/2011/02/10/understanding-disk-i-o-when-should-you-be-worried

* don't reply off-list
* don't top-post

https://www.google.at/search?q=email+MX+round+robin

if you meant to *send* 5 Mio mails per day that is another story
forget it - you will hit all sort of rate-limits until you
can not spread the outgoing messages over differnt source
IP's - in that case no further support of me because i hardly
can think of 5 Mio *legit* mails per day which is not spam

> How do i take that information from my server? I am new to this,
> can you guide me

it is a bad idea if you are new in maintain a mailserver
start with such a big beast - that will not work

--
Thanks & Regards,
Kranti Kiran Patnaik
+91-924-633-52-62

Re: Postfix installation guide

Kranti Kiran Patnaik-2
THank You, we have filled these forms. But still we are facing delay in delivery, can you suggest with the postconf -n output that i have shared.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 7:50 PM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kranti Kiran Patnaik:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone share a very good postfix 2.10 installation guide for managing
> 2-5million emails per day? My current postfix is unable to handle such
> large volume as lot of emails are getting stuck in the incoming folder and
> thus the deliveries are delayed upto 2-3 days. My current postfix
> configuration is on the following platform
>
> cat /etc/transport
> yahoo.com       slow:yahoo.com
> yahoo.co.in     slow:yahoo.co.in
> yahoo.co.uk     slow:yahoo.co.uk
> yahoo.us        slow:yahoo.us
> yahoo.ca        slow:yahoo.ca
> yahoo.fr        slow:yahoo.fr
> yahoogroups.com slow:yahoogroups.com
> yahoo.co.nz     slow:yahoo.co.nz
> yahoo-inc.com   slow:yahoo-inc.com
> yahoo.de        slow:yahoo.de
> yahoo.co.kr     slow:yahoo.co.kr
> yahoo.es        slow:yahoo.es
> gmail.com       gmail:gmail.com
> msn.com         hotmail:msn.com
> hotmail.com     hotmail:hotmail.com
> cox.net         cox:cox.net

If you are sending 2.5M/day to Uahoo etc. then you need to make
arrangements with the receiving sites. Search for the Yahoo etc.
postmaster webpages.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/bulkv2.html
http://postmaster.aol.com/

etc.

Thanks & Regards,
Kranti Kiran Patnaik
+91-924-633-52-62

Re: Postfix installation guid

tejas sarade
w  : for load
free -m  : for memory usage.

First of all keep the default configuration, later on you can optimize it.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Kranti Kiran Patnaik <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

#w
 09:29:42 up 9 days,  6:48,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          4041       3018       1022          0        207       2415
-/+ buffers/cache:        395       3645
Swap:         6000          0       6000

FYI, currently mails are not being triggered in this server.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:30 PM, tejas sarade <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

--------------------------------

cat /etc/postfix/virtual

----------------------------------
I am using dkim-milter also.

The same kind of configuration is there for my other smtp server and it processes fine, but in case of this server it is not able to handle bulk mails. How to resolve this issue.
--
Thanks & Regards,
Kranti Kiran Patnaik

Thanks & Regards,
Kranti Kiran Patnaik
+91-924-633-52-62

Thanks & Regards,
Kranti Kiran Patnaik
+91-924-633-52-62

Re: Postfix installation guide

Kranti Kiran Patnaik:
> THank You, we have filled these forms. But still we are facing delay in
> delivery, can you suggest with the postconf -n output that i have shared.

The reason for delays is in the MAILLOG file.

Look for the breakdown of the "delays=a/b/c/d" logging.

   The format of the "delays=a/b/c/d" logging is as follows:

   o      a = time from message arrival to last active queue entry

   o      b = time from last active queue entry to connection setup

   o      c = time in connection setup, including DNS, EHLO and STARTTLS

   o      d = time in message transmission

If your "c" numbers are not a fraction of a second then that is
your problem.

Re: Postfix installation guide

Kranti Kiran Patnaik-2
Sir,

From my logs i found some as mentioned below.
delays=3994/44/0.09/1.5,
delays=4238/0.23/0/0.02
delays=2944/48/0.01/0.01
 delays=903/0.08/0/0.01
delays=4893/48/0/0.01

Please advise.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kranti Kiran Patnaik:
> THank You, we have filled these forms. But still we are facing delay in
> delivery, can you suggest with the postconf -n output that i have shared.

The reason for delays is in the MAILLOG file.

Look for the breakdown of the "delays=a/b/c/d" logging.

   The format of the "delays=a/b/c/d" logging is as follows:

   o      a = time from message arrival to last active queue entry

   o      b = time from last active queue entry to connection setup

   o      c = time in connection setup, including DNS, EHLO and STARTTLS

   o      d = time in message transmission

If your "c" numbers are not a fraction of a second then that is
your problem.

Thanks & Regards,
Kranti Kiran Patnaik
+91-924-633-52-62

Re: Postfix installation guid

tejas sarade
Then there is no point in collecting usage details now.
Can you tell me if the the source of the mails.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:32 PM, Kranti Kiran Patnaik <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I do see these kind of delays also in some lines.
delays=11656/252/0.06/0.02
delay=65892, delays=65875/14/0.15/2

Please advise.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Kranti Kiran Patnaik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sir,

From my logs i found some as mentioned below.
delays=3994/44/0.09/1.5,
delays=4238/0.23/0/0.02
delays=2944/48/0.01/0.01
 delays=903/0.08/0/0.01
delays=4893/48/0/0.01

Please advise.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
Kranti Kiran Patnaik:
> THank You, we have filled these forms. But still we are facing delay in
> delivery, can you suggest with the postconf -n output that i have shared.

The reason for delays is in the MAILLOG file.

Look for the breakdown of the "delays=a/b/c/d" logging.

   The format of the "delays=a/b/c/d" logging is as follows:

   o      a = time from message arrival to last active queue entry

   o      b = time from last active queue entry to connection setup

   o      c = time in connection setup, including DNS, EHLO and STARTTLS

   o      d = time in message transmission

If your "c" numbers are not a fraction of a second then that is
your problem.

Thanks & Regards,
Kranti Kiran Patnaik
+91-924-633-52-62

Thanks & Regards,
Kranti Kiran Patnaik
+91-924-633-52-62

Re: Postfix installation guide

Kranti Kiran Patnaik:
> Sir,
>
> >From my logs i found some as mentioned below.
> delays=3994/44/0.09/1.5,

That is your problem. If

1) You have master.cf transports with low process limit (or low
per-destinaton concurrency),

AND

2) Those transports have c/d delays that are more than a fraction
of a second,

THEN all mail will pile up in your queue, even when some mail can
be delivered in a fraction of a second.

        Wietse

> On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Kranti Kiran Patnaik:
> > > THank You, we have filled these forms. But still we are facing delay in
> > > delivery, can you suggest with the postconf -n output that i have shared.
> >
> > The reason for delays is in the MAILLOG file.
> >
> > Look for the breakdown of the "delays=a/b/c/d" logging.
> >
> >    The format of the "delays=a/b/c/d" logging is as follows:
> >
> >    o      a = time from message arrival to last active queue entry
> >
> >    o      b = time from last active queue entry to connection setup
> >
> >    o      c = time in connection setup, including DNS, EHLO and STARTTLS
> >
> >    o      d = time in message transmission
> >
> > If your "c" numbers are not a fraction of a second then that is
> > your problem.
> >
> >         Wietse
> >

> --
> Thanks & Regards,
> Kranti Kiran Patnaik
> +91-924-633-52-62

> message and any attachments.
> transmitted by this email.

Re: Postfix installation guide

Kranti Kiran Patnaik-2
 cat /etc/postfix/master.cf
#
# Postfix master process configuration file.  For details on the format
# of the file, see the master(5) manual page (command: "man 5 master").
#
# ==========================================================================
# service type  private unpriv  chroot  wakeup  maxproc command + args
#               (yes)   (yes)   (yes)   (never) (100)
# ==========================================================================
smtp      inet  n       -       n       -       150       smtpd
2525      inet  n       -       n       -       150       smtpd
slow      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
gmail      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
hotmail      unix  -       -       n       -      -       smtp
cox      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
secureserver.net        unix    -       -       n       -       -       smtp

#cat /etc/postfix/main.cf
smtpd_milters = unix:/var/run/dkim-milter/dkim-milter.sock, unix:/var/run/dk-milter/dk-milter.sock
non_smtpd_milters = unix:/var/run/dkim-milter/dkim-milter.sock, unix:/var/run/dk-milter/dk-milter.sock
smtpd_banner = smtp1.conrepmail.com
smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender = yes
notify_classes = bounce, delay, resource
#maximal_queue_lifetime = 1d
#maximal_backoff_time = 5000s
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination, reject_unknown_sender_domain
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_security_options=noanonymous
transport_maps=hash:/etc/postfix/transport
smtpd_delay_reject=no
queue_run_delay = 2m
slow_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit=$slow_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit
slow_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit=1
slow_destination_recipient_limit=1
slow_destination_concurrency_limit=2
slow_destination_rate_delay=10s
#smtp_destination_concurrency_limit=2
gmail_destination_rate_delay=20s
hotmail_destination_rate_delay=30s
cox_destination_rate_delay=30s
gmail_destination_concurrency_limit=2
hotmail_destination_concurrency_limit=2
cox_destination_concurrency_limit=2
default_destination_concurrency_limit=5
default_destination_recipient_limit=5
#default_process_limit=150
slow_process_limit=50
gmail_destination_recipient_limit=5
gmail_process_limit=50
hotmail_destination_recipient_limit=5
hotmail_process_limit=50
cox_destination_recipient_limit=5
cox_process_limit=50
initial_destination_concurrency=2
smtpd_error_sleep_time=1s
smtpd_soft_error_limit=10
smtpd_hard_error_limit=20
secureserver.net_destination_rate_delay=30s
secureserver.net_destination_concurrency_limit=2
secureserver.net_destination_recipient_limit=1
secureserver.net_process_limit=50

Can you advise which one to change?

Kranti Kiran Patnaik:

--
Thanks & Regards,
Kranti Kiran Patnaik

Re: Postfix installation guide

tejas sarade
Mails are spending too much time in incoming queue.
May be this will help.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Kranti Kiran Patnaik <[hidden email]> wrote:
I do see these kind of delays also in some lines.
delays=11656/252/0.06/0.02
delay=65892, delays=65875/14/0.15/2

Please advise.

On Sat, Nov 23, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Kranti Kiran Patnaik <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sir,

From my logs i found some as mentioned below.