Postfix mail logging stops and starts

Yukthi Systems

​Hi All,

 We are facing an issue where the mail logging stops
and starts at regular intervals without an intervention, there
is no error and the email system keeps working, but only
problem is we keep missing the logs between intervals
when there is no mail logging happening, please suggest.​

Regards
Yukthi

Re: Postfix mail logging stops and starts

Dominic Raferd
On 19 September 2017 at 08:55, Yukthi Systems <[hidden email]> wrote:

We are facing an issue where the mail logging stops
and starts at regular intervals without an intervention, there
is no error and the email system keeps working, but only
problem is we keep missing the logs between intervals
when there is no mail logging happening, please suggest.​

​This is unlikely to be postfix-related. Consider:

- do other system processes continue logging while mail logging is stopped?
- how regular are the intervals without mail logging?
- is there plenty of space in the log filesystem?​ (maybe space runs out from time to time?)
- what distro / logging software (e.g. rsyslog, syslog-ng) / init system (e.g. systemd, Sys-V)?

Re: Postfix mail logging stops and starts

Yukthi Systems:
> ?Hi All,
>
>  We are facing an issue where the mail logging stops
> and starts at regular intervals without an intervention, there
> is no error and the email system keeps working, but only
> problem is we keep missing the logs between intervals
> when there is no mail logging happening, please suggest.?

systemd will rate-limit logging even if you think you are using
rsyslog or other. systemd is not part of Postfix.

Re: Postfix mail logging stops and starts

> On Sep 19, 2017, at 3:55 AM, Yukthi Systems <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We are facing an issue where the mail logging stops
> and starts at regular intervals without an intervention, there
> is no error and the email system keeps working, but only
> problem is we keep missing the logs between intervals
> when there is no mail logging happening, please suggest.​

If log rotation regularly causes the syslog server to
recreate the logging socket, and that log socket is
outside the chroot jail, then chrooted processes will
cease to be able to log.

If a "postfix reload" causes logging to start working
again, and you have chroot enabled for some services
(e.g the queue manager), then that's the most likely
problem.