Postfix, mailman, and aliases problem

James Dore
Hi list,

I recently migrated our mailman server from an old SLES 11 box to Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, and installed Mailman from the Ubuntu repositories along with Postfix and other prerequisites. Mailman itself is working fine, but I have a handful of regular email aliases in /etc/aliases which do not receive mail, and when examining the logs, get bounced with a “User unknown” error. What did I screw up?

(I’ve checked my aliases and they’re good, and I’ve run the newaliases command numerous times).

Cheers,
James

--
James Dore,
IT Officer,
New College Oxford

RE: Postfix, mailman, and aliases problem

Dino Edwards
Are you using system users or virtual users in your system? /etc/aliases are for system users in the system. You may be looking for virtual_alias_maps instead?

IT Officer,
New College Oxford

Re: Postfix, mailman, and aliases problem

chaouche yacine
Make sure you're using the /etc/aliases is actually used as your alias_database

root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ # postconf alias_database
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ #

Here's mine

root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ # cat /etc/aliases
# /etc/aliases
mailer-daemon: postmaster
postmaster: root
nobody: root
hostmaster: root
usenet: root
news: root
webmaster: root
www: root
ftp: root
abuse: root
noc: root
security: root
root: serveur
clamav: root

root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ #

Check that the map is working correctly :

root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ # postalias -q mailer-daemon /etc/aliases
postmaster
root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ #

On Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:18 PM, James Dore <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi list,

I recently migrated our mailman server from an old SLES 11 box to Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, and installed Mailman from the Ubuntu repositories along with Postfix and other prerequisites. Mailman itself is working fine, but I have a handful of regular email aliases in /etc/aliases which do not receive mail, and when examining the logs, get bounced with a “User unknown” error. What did I screw up?

(I’ve checked my aliases and they’re good, and I’ve run the newaliases command numerous times).

Cheers,
James

--
James Dore,
IT Officer,
New College Oxford

Re: Postfix, mailman, and aliases problem

James Dore
Same:

console@corelli:/var/log$ postconf alias_database
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

> On 26 Oct 2017, at 15:30, chaouche yacine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Make sure you're using the /etc/aliases is actually used as your alias_database
>

> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ # postconf alias_database
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ #
>
> Here's mine
>
> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ # cat /etc/aliases
> # /etc/aliases
> mailer-daemon: postmaster
> postmaster: root
> nobody: root
> hostmaster: root
> usenet: root
> news: root
> webmaster: root
> www: root
> ftp: root
> abuse: root
> noc: root
> security: root
> root: serveur
> clamav: root
>
> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ #
>

> Check that the map is working correctly :
>
> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ # postalias -q mailer-daemon /etc/aliases
> postmaster
> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ #
>

> On Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:18 PM, James Dore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi list,
>
> I recently migrated our mailman server from an old SLES 11 box to Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, and installed Mailman from the Ubuntu repositories along with Postfix and other prerequisites. Mailman itself is working fine, but I have a handful of regular email aliases in /etc/aliases which do not receive mail, and when examining the logs, get bounced with a “User unknown” error. What did I screw up?
>
> (I’ve checked my aliases and they’re good, and I’ve run the newaliases command numerous times).
>
> Cheers,
> James
>
> --
> James Dore,
> IT Officer,
> New College Oxford

Re: Postfix, mailman, and aliases problem

Wilfried.Essig@Essignetz.de
Hi,

what is alias_maps?

Willi

Am 26.10.2017 um 16:36 schrieb James Dore:

> Same:
>
> console@corelli:/var/log$ postconf alias_database
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

>> On 26 Oct 2017, at 15:30, chaouche yacine <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Make sure you're using the /etc/aliases is actually used as your alias_database
>>

>> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ # postconf alias_database
>> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
>> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ #
>>
>> Here's mine
>>
>> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ # cat /etc/aliases
>> # /etc/aliases
>> mailer-daemon: postmaster
>> postmaster: root
>> nobody: root
>> hostmaster: root
>> usenet: root
>> news: root
>> webmaster: root
>> www: root
>> ftp: root
>> abuse: root
>> noc: root
>> security: root
>> root: serveur
>> clamav: root
>>
>> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ #
>>

>> Check that the map is working correctly :
>>
>> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ # postalias -q mailer-daemon /etc/aliases
>> postmaster
>> root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ #
>>

>> On Thursday, October 26, 2017 3:18 PM, James Dore <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> Hi list,
>>
>> I recently migrated our mailman server from an old SLES 11 box to Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, and installed Mailman from the Ubuntu repositories along with Postfix and other prerequisites. Mailman itself is working fine, but I have a handful of regular email aliases in /etc/aliases which do not receive mail, and when examining the logs, get bounced with a “User unknown” error. What did I screw up?
>>
>> (I’ve checked my aliases and they’re good, and I’ve run the newaliases command numerous times).
>>
>> Cheers,
>> James
>>
>> --
>> James Dore,
>> IT Officer,
>> New College Oxford

Re: Postfix, mailman, and aliases problem

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 26.10.17 14:30, chaouche yacine wrote:
>Make sure you're using the /etc/aliases is actually used as your alias_database

alias_database only configures which file is upraded when newaliases is run,
nothing more and nothing less.

if you want postfix to use the alias database, you must add it into
alias_maps.

>root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ # postconf alias_database
>alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
>root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ #
>Here's mine
>
>root@messagerie[10.10.10.19] ~ # cat /etc/aliases
># /etc/aliases
>mailer-daemon: postmaster
>postmaster: root
>nobody: root
>hostmaster: root
>usenet: root
>news: root
>webmaster: root
>www: root
>ftp: root
>abuse: root
>noc: root
>security: root
>root: serveur
>clamav: root

run:

postconf alias_maps

Micro$oft random number generator: 0, 0, 0, 4.33e+67, 0, 0, 0...