Postfix not sending to proper servers.

Marcelo Iturbe-2

Hello,
A client has a domain (sample.com) which resolves to the IP 190.190.168.54
The MX records this domain point to another IP completely different: 64.233.171.27

My postfix server houses the domain someotherdomain.com, the problem is that I am unable to send email to my clients domain.

When I look in the log files, I see that postfix is trying to send the email to the HOST and not the MX servers.
Sep  8 11:04:40 mailserver postfix/smtp[23528]: C6B494C421D: to=<[hidden email]>, relay=none, delay=1, status=deferred (connect to sample.com[190.190.168.54]: Connection refused)

The DNS table looks like

When I resolve using TYPE=MX all looks fine, in fact the client is able to receive email from other severs except this one postfix.

Why is the postfix server trying to connect to the host (web server) instead of the mail servers?

postconf -n produces:
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
config_directory = /etc/postfix
inet_interfaces = all
mail_spool_directory = /var/mail/
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mydestination = localhost
myorigin = /etc/mailname
recipient_delimiter = +
relayhost =
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtp_scache
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${queue_directory}/smtpd_scache
smtpd_use_tls = yes

PS. Sometimes (not often) the postfix servers delivers email succesfully, but it is less than 25% of the time.

Thanks.

Re: Postfix not sending to proper servers.

mouss-2
Marcelo Iturbe wrote:
> Hello,
> A client has a domain (sample.com) which resolves to the IP 190.190.168.54
> The MX records this domain point to another IP completely different:
> 64.233.171.27

I don't see the same IPs here.

$ host sample.com
sample.com has address 208.87.33.150
sample.com mail is handled by 10 nullmx.sample.com.
$ host nullmx.sample.com
nullmx.sample.com has address 209.181.247.105

> My postfix server houses the domain someotherdomain.com,

you work for South Media Group?

> the problem is that
> I am unable to send email to my clients domain.
>
> When I look in the log files, I see that postfix is trying to send the email
> to the HOST and not the MX servers.

The A record is used when no MX record is found (that's how mail works).
just because _you_ _now_ see an MX record doesn't mean that postfix
could find one at the time of the transaction.

> Sep  8 11:04:40 mailserver postfix/smtp[23528]: C6B494C421D: to=<
> [hidden email]>, relay=none, delay=1, status=deferred (connect to
> sample.com[190.190.168.54]: Connection refused)

you'll have to do some debugging to see if you have a DNS problem.

- if you are not running a local DNS server, consider running one
- if your DNS queries are forwarded to your SP, consider disabling this
- if your postfix has chrooted services, consider disabling chroot.
- if your system resolver has bugs, try from another system

> The DNS table looks like

it doesn't matter how it may look like to you. if you want help, show
the real domain.