Postfix now in Slackware-current

/dev/rob0
Slackware Linux has switched to the Postfix MTA as its default MTA as
of an update to the development version today.

https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/ChangeLog.txt

"Default MTA" in Slackware terms means "the only MTA".  Sendmail
8.15.2 has been moved out of the main distro into "extra" packages,
and a new libmilter package has been created therefrom, for Postfix
milter support.

Postfix has been available in the Slackbuilds.org user build script
repository for many years, but there were a few issues with that
package for me.  I believe I have addressed those issues to my
satisfaction.  If anyone is interested, the new build script can be
found here:

https://mirrors.slackware.com/slackware/slackware64-current/source/n/postfix/postfix.SlackBuild

On my own Slackware-based servers for years, what I have done was
start with a patched Slackbuilds.org build script (to remove the
Slackware-isms of gzipped man pages and the hard-coded version
strings in configuration paths), and then for future upgrades, I
"make upgrade" from source.

The gzipped man pages are there, but the version-named directories
are referred to with symlinks.  "make upgrade" from source won't be
happy with the man pages, but otherwise might work (I admit, I have
not yet tried it.)

In any case I believe that the Slackware upgradepkg(8) process will
be safe, as it will invoke "postfix upgrade-configuration" in the
"doinst.sh" script.

Please let me know if you have any feedback.  While I am not the
actual package maintainer (in Slackware there is only one over all
packages), I can and will bring any issues to his attention.  Offlist
email per .signature below is fine, but for likely faster response,
see the URL below.
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/

Re: Postfix now in Slackware-current

Phil Stracchino
On 11/17/17 09:44, /dev/rob0 wrote:
> Slackware Linux has switched to the Postfix MTA as its default MTA as
> of an update to the development version today.

*THE STARS ARE RIGHT*

Ïa!  Ïa!  In darkness He comes!  He comes!

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications