Postfix on docker

Davide Perini

Hi all,
is there an official image of postfix on docker hub?

I can't find it, why?

Thanks,
Davide

Re: Postfix on docker

Wietse Venema
Davide Perini:
> Hi all,
> is there an official image of postfix on docker hub?
>
> I can't find it, why?

Postfix developers provide Postfix source.

Vendors provide binaries (and redistribute source).

Re: Postfix on docker

Davide Perini

Thanks for the answer but what are the "official vendors" for this purpose?
Docker hub does not work like this exactly. Most devs provides their own binaries in "official images".

Why it's not the same for postfix?

In any case is there some good image I can trust or that you can suggest?

Thanks,
Davide

Il 2019-09-26 18:01 Wietse Venema ha scritto:

Davide Perini:
Hi all,
is there an official image of postfix on docker hub?

I can't find it, why?

Postfix developers provide Postfix source.

Vendors provide binaries (and redistribute source).

Re: Postfix on docker

Wietse Venema
Davide Perini:
> Thanks for the answer but what are the "official vendors" for this
> purpose?
> Docker hub does not work like this exactly. Most devs provides their own
> binaries in "official images".
>
> Why it's not the same for postfix?

Because not all the world is LINUX? Postfix is a cross-platform
product. It is not practical to distribute binaries for every
environment. That's the job of the vendors.

Re: Postfix on docker

chrisalexthomas

I have a dockerised set of images and kubernetes deployments for you to look at if you're interested. They work well and serve my domains without much problem

https://github.com/orgs/kubernetes-mail-server/dashboard

Take a look, maybe there is some contribution you want to make.

Chris

On 26.09.19 18:11, Davide Perini wrote:

Thanks for the answer but what are the "official vendors" for this purpose?
Docker hub does not work like this exactly. Most devs provides their own binaries in "official images".

Why it's not the same for postfix?

In any case is there some good image I can trust or that you can suggest?

Thanks,
Davide

Il 2019-09-26 18:01 Wietse Venema ha scritto:

Davide Perini:
Hi all,
is there an official image of postfix on docker hub?

I can't find it, why?

Postfix developers provide Postfix source.

Vendors provide binaries (and redistribute source).

Re: Postfix on docker

Davide Perini

Don't want to argue, but this is the kind of answers that shows that you never used docker,
if so, why answer to the question?

Il 2019-09-26 18:13 Wietse Venema ha scritto:

Davide Perini:
Thanks for the answer but what are the "official vendors" for this
purpose?
Docker hub does not work like this exactly. Most devs provides their own
binaries in "official images".

Why it's not the same for postfix?

Because not all the world is LINUX? Postfix is a cross-platform
product. It is not practical to distribute binaries for every
environment. That's the job of the vendors.

Re: Postfix on docker

alexevon
David-

Just FYI-

I created a Dockerfile by pulling in Ubuntu:latest and  then ran apt install postfix and set it from there..  The docker is ran by multiple Mesos nodes without issue..

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 12:34 PM Davide Perini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Don't want to argue, but this is the kind of answers that shows that you never used docker,
if so, why answer to the question?

Il 2019-09-26 18:13 Wietse Venema ha scritto:

Davide Perini:
Thanks for the answer but what are the "official vendors" for this
purpose?
Docker hub does not work like this exactly. Most devs provides their own
binaries in "official images".

Why it's not the same for postfix?

Because not all the world is LINUX? Postfix is a cross-platform
product. It is not practical to distribute binaries for every
environment. That's the job of the vendors.

Re: Postfix on docker

chrisalexthomas

Ok davide,

does docker run on old cpu's, or how compatible is it with arm cpu's? ever run an alpha dec?

postfix just provide the code, which compiles into binaries, postfix don't get involved with packaging, thats the job of vendors.

thats why there are no official postfix docker images, cause this team (that I've never contributed to), only produce the source code.

then people like me use the versions which run on debian, package it into docker images and provide it like I did beforehand.

does that answer the question?

chris

On 26.09.19 18:34, Davide Perini wrote:

Don't want to argue, but this is the kind of answers that shows that you never used docker,
if so, why answer to the question?

Il 2019-09-26 18:13 Wietse Venema ha scritto:

Davide Perini:
Thanks for the answer but what are the "official vendors" for this
purpose?
Docker hub does not work like this exactly. Most devs provides their own
binaries in "official images".

Why it's not the same for postfix?

Because not all the world is LINUX? Postfix is a cross-platform
product. It is not practical to distribute binaries for every
environment. That's the job of the vendors.

Re: Postfix on docker

Davide Perini:
> Don't want to argue, but this is the kind of answers that shows that you
> never used docker,
> if so, why answer to the question?

I guess this demonstrates that some people have never used more
than one OS.

On a more sensible note, I'd be willing to collect build files that
create containers, but I would not distribute the binaries themselves,

        Wietse