Postfix running on private IP address behind VPN

Postfix running on private IP address behind VPN

Thomas Herrmann
Hello Postfix-users,

currently, I have two postfix servers running for my domain:
- one on a physical server with a single, public IPv4 address (and
proper DNS setup) that just accepts mails and delivers them to
- the second one in my private LAN (where mails are delivered locally to
the imap server).

This setup has various disadvantages, so I am thinking about about the
following setup:

Only one postfix in my private LAN, with a VPN connection to the public
server, and some port forwardings so that my private postfix
installation "appears" to run on the public IP address.

Are there any known problems with this setup? I think it will probably
just work, but I am afraid of private IP addresses showing up in mail
headers that might trigger some spam detection mechanisms, or other
non-obvious issues. Does postfix write its own, local IP address into
outgoing mail? Should the last "received by" header of my outgoing mail
match with the IP/hostname I am sending the mail from?

Regards,
Thomas Herrmann

Re: Postfix running on private IP address behind VPN

King Cao
received mail from Internet  ==> L4 ==> private postfix ==> L4 ==> deliver to internet

postfix will write "hostname" in "received by" field and "remote hostname and IP" in "received from" field. That's fine for incoming mail from internet. (you can use a proper hostname for your postfix)
For outgoing mail, your MTA(Postfix) MUST contain valid public IP, otherwise your mail will be rejected by other MTA. However, you still can use port forwarding on L4.

If you support TLS, take care of your certificate file which must match your domain.

Regards,
King

2013/8/16 Thomas Herrmann <[hidden email]>
[...]

Thomas Herrmann

Re: Postfix running on private IP address behind VPN

Grilliot_40
Virtual private networks make your internet connection safe by hiding your online identity. I always prefer connecting to VPN when accessing public networks but have just bought the kodi player so need to have a paid vpn for kodi. Not finding any good service. Could anyone help?