Postfix send only server

Souji Thenria
Hi,

is there a way to set up a postfix send-only server, and still be able to connect from the out side to it?
When I serched this topic all I found was setting the "inet_interfaces = loopback-only", but than I would only be able to send mails from the localhost (the postfix server it self).

To be more detailed:
In my case I have two servers, and I want one to recieve mails and the other should only send mails. So I installed postfix on both servers and dovecot on the one which should be able to recieve the mails. Additional I setedup SASL authentification between the send only smtp server and the one wihch have Dovecot installed.
I hope that's no to confusing...

Souji Thenria <[hidden email]>

Re: Postfix send only server

Wietse Venema
Souji Thenria:
> Hi,
>
> is there a way to set up a postfix send-only server, and still be
> able to connect from the out side to it?

Connect to a Postfix SMTP server and do what: send email to it?
Yes, that is possible. There are many ways to limit which clients
can send email to a Postfix SMTP server: client IP address, SASL
authentication, TLS client certificates, with or without using VPN,
SSH tunnel, ...

        Wietse

> When I serched this topic all I found was setting the "inet_interfaces = loopback-only", but than I would only be able to send mails from the localhost (the postfix server it self).
>
> To be more detailed:
> In my case I have two servers, and I want one to recieve mails and the other should only send mails. So I installed postfix on both servers and dovecot on the one which should be able to recieve the mails. Additional I setedup SASL authentification between the send only smtp server and the one wihch have Dovecot installed.
> I hope that's no to confusing...

> Souji Thenria <[hidden email]>

Re: Postfix send only server

On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 04:39:48PM +0200, Souji Thenria wrote:

> To be more detailed:
> In my case I have two servers, and I want one to recieve mails and the
> other should only send mails. So I installed postfix on both servers
> and dovecot on the one which should be able to recieve the mails.
> Additional I setedup SASL authentification between the send only smtp
> server and the one wihch have Dovecot installed.  I hope that's no to
> confusing...

By send-only, you seem to mean no local mailboxes, all mail is forwarded
to remote systems.  That's fine.  You can still run an SMTP listener.

The null-client write at:

    http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html#split

explains how to configure a Postfix instance to have all mail sent to a
"smarthost", by making sure that $mydestination (and, but this is the
default $virtual_mailbox_domains) is empty.  But you can also not specify
a "relayhost" and use MX hosts for outbound delivery, ...

It also suggests disabling inbound SMTP, but that's optional.

See also BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README, STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README and
ADDRESS_CLASS_README.

Re: Postfix send only server

Souji Thenria
On Tue, 1 Sep 2020 14:03:12 -0400
Viktor Dukhovni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 01, 2020 at 04:39:48PM +0200, Souji Thenria wrote:
>
> > To be more detailed:
> > In my case I have two servers, and I want one to recieve mails and the
> > other should only send mails. So I installed postfix on both servers
> > and dovecot on the one which should be able to recieve the mails.
> > Additional I setedup SASL authentification between the send only smtp
> > server and the one wihch have Dovecot installed.  I hope that's no to
> > confusing...
>
> By send-only, you seem to mean no local mailboxes, all mail is forwarded
> to remote systems.  That's fine.  You can still run an SMTP listener.
>
> The null-client write at:
>
>     http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html#split
>
> explains how to configure a Postfix instance to have all mail sent to a
> "smarthost", by making sure that $mydestination (and, but this is the
> default $virtual_mailbox_domains) is empty.  But you can also not specify
> a "relayhost" and use MX hosts for outbound delivery, ...
>
> It also suggests disabling inbound SMTP, but that's optional.
>
> See also BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README, STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README and
> ADDRESS_CLASS_README.
>
> --
>     Viktor.

Ok thanks, that looks like what I was looking for.

--
Souji