Postfix stable release 2.9.0

Wietse Venema
[An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-2.9.0.html]

Postfix stable release 2.9.0 is available. The main changes in no
particular order are:

    * Support for long, non-repeating, queue IDs (queue file names).
      The main benefit of non-repeating names is simpler logfile
      analysis. See the description of "enable_long_queue_ids" in
      postconf(5) for details.

    * Memcache client support, and support to share postscreen(8)
      and verify(8) caches via the proxymap server. Details are in
      memcache_table(5) and MEMCACHE_README.

    * Gradual degradation: if a database is unavailable (can't open,
      most read or write errors) a Postfix daemon will log a warning
      and continue providing the services that don't depend on that
      table, instead of immediately terminating with a fatal error.
      To terminate immediately when a database file can't be opened,
      specify "daemon_table_open_error_is_fatal = yes".

    * Revised postconf(1) command. It warns about unused parameter
      name=value settings in main.cf or master.cf (likely mistakes),
      understands "dynamic" parameter names such as names that
      depend on the name of a master.cf entry (finally, "postconf
      -n" shows all parameter settings), and it can display main.cf
      and master.cf in a more user-friendly format (postconf -nf,
      postconf -Mf).

    * Read/write deadline support in the SMTP client and server to
      defend against application-level DOS attacks that very slowly
      write or read data one byte at a time.

You can find the updated Postfix source code at the mirrors listed
at http://www.postfix.org/.

Re: Postfix stable release 2.9.0

Ori Bani
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
> http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-2.9.0.html]
>
> Postfix stable release 2.9.0 is available. The main changes in no
> particular order are:

Does anyone know how soon Simon Mudd usually responds to releases like
this?  Not trying to hurry anyone, *just* asking.

Re: Postfix stable release 2.9.0

Reindl Harald-2

Am 01.02.2012 22:56, schrieb Ori Bani:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
>> http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-2.9.0.html]
>>
>> Postfix stable release 2.9.0 is available. The main changes in no
>> particular order are:
>>

> Does anyone know how soon Simon Mudd usually responds to releases like
> this?  Not trying to hurry anyone, *just* asking
who is Simon Mudd?

rebuild postfix usually is a work of 5 minutes
was there and distributed 2.8.8 two hours ago to 20 machines via RPM

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Reindl Harald <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 01.02.2012 22:56, schrieb Ori Bani:
>> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
>>> http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-2.9.0.html]
>>>
>>> Postfix stable release 2.9.0 is available. The main changes in no
>>> particular order are:
>>>

>> Does anyone know how soon Simon Mudd usually responds to releases like
>> this?  Not trying to hurry anyone, *just* asking
>
> who is Simon Mudd?
>
> rebuild postfix usually is a work of 5 minutes
> was there and distributed 2.8.8 two hours ago to 20 machines via RPM

No need to respond if you don't know the answer to the question.

Many people here know who Simon is.  See http://postfix.wl0.org/

Re: Postfix stable release 2.9.0

ml@smtp.fakessh.eu

--
 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC2626742
 gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key C2626742

 http://urlshort.eu fakessh @
 http://gplus.to/sshfake
 http://gplus.to/sshswilting
 http://gplus.to/john.swilting
 https://lists.fakessh.eu/mailman/
 This list is moderated by me, but all applications will be accepted
 provided they receive a note of presentation

Le jeudi 02 février 2012 à 03:13 +0100, ml a écrit :

> Le mercredi 01 février 2012 à 23:01 +0100, Reindl Harald a écrit :

> > > Does anyone know how soon Simon Mudd usually responds to releases like
> > > this?  Not trying to hurry anyone, *just* asking
> >
> > who is Simon Mudd?
> >
> > rebuild postfix usually is a work of 5 minutes
> > was there and distributed 2.8.8 two hours ago to 20 machines via RPM

i build with succes a rpm for postfix 2.9.0 for centos 5
for fine for me
The main work was done not just SJ Mudd i have adapts required.
I still have problems with the patch VDA standard is not to be applied
correctly error that prevents the construction of the rpm

still rpm source is disponible here
http://ns.fakessh.eu/rpms/postfix-2.9.0-1.pcre.pgsql.mysql.sasl2.dovecot.sqlite.rhel5.src.rpm

thanks

2012/2/1 ml <[hidden email]>:

> Le jeudi 02 février 2012 à 03:13 +0100, ml a écrit :

>> > who is Simon Mudd?
>> >
>> > rebuild postfix usually is a work of 5 minutes
>> > was there and distributed 2.8.8 two hours ago to 20 machines via RPM
>>

> i build with succes a rpm for postfix 2.9.0 for centos 5
> for fine for me
> The main work was done not just SJ Mudd i have adapts required.
> I still have problems with the patch VDA standard is not to be applied
> correctly error that prevents the construction of the rpm
>
> still rpm source is disponible here
> http://ns.fakessh.eu/rpms/postfix-2.9.0-1.pcre.pgsql.mysql.sasl2.dovecot.sqlite.rhel5.src.rpm

Yeeeeah, I'll stick with Simon, who I think can write a sentence that
I can read - even if his package will take longer.  Something about
the trust factor perhaps.

Le mercredi 01 février 2012 à 19:30 -0800, Ori Bani a écrit :

> 2012/2/1 ml <[hidden email]>:

> > i build with succes a rpm for postfix 2.9.0 for centos 5
> > for fine for me
> > The main work was done not just SJ Mudd i have adapts required.
> > I still have problems with the patch VDA standard is not to be applied
> > correctly error that prevents the construction of the rpm
> >
> > still rpm source is disponible here
> > http://ns.fakessh.eu/rpms/postfix-2.9.0-1.pcre.pgsql.mysql.sasl2.dovecot.sqlite.rhel5.src.rpm
>
> Yeeeeah, I'll stick with Simon, who I think can write a sentence that
> I can read - even if his package will take longer.  Something about
> the trust factor perhaps.

I assure you that my work is correct and that my rpm is ok

--
 http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC2626742
 gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key C2626742

 http://urlshort.eu fakessh @
 http://gplus.to/sshfake
 http://gplus.to/sshswilting
 http://gplus.to/john.swilting
 https://lists.fakessh.eu/mailman/
 This list is moderated by me, but all applications will be accepted
 provided they receive a note of presentation

Re: Postfix stable release 2.9.0

Simon Brereton-2

On Feb 1, 2012 11:20 PM, "ml" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le mercredi 01 février 2012 à 19:30 -0800, Ori Bani a écrit :

> > > i build with succes a rpm for postfix 2.9.0 for centos 5
> > > for fine for me
> > > The main work was done not just SJ Mudd i have adapts required.
> > > I still have problems with the patch VDA standard is not to be applied
> > > correctly error that prevents the construction of the rpm
> > >
> > > still rpm source is disponible here
> > > http://ns.fakessh.eu/rpms/postfix-2.9.0-1.pcre.pgsql.mysql.sasl2.dovecot.sqlite.rhel5.src.rpm
> >
> > Yeeeeah, I'll stick with Simon, who I think can write a sentence that
> > I can read - even if his package will take longer.  Something about
> > the trust factor perhaps.
>

> I assure you that my work is correct and that my rpm is ok

Sadly you weren't being judged on your work but on the quality of your second, or third, language..

The OP has decided - and he has that right - that only Mudd's rpm's will do.

I'm sure other people will thank you tho.

Simon

Re: Postfix stable release 2.9.0

Ori Bani
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Simon Brereton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 1, 2012 11:20 PM, "ml" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > Yeeeeah, I'll stick with Simon, who I think can write a sentence that
>> > I can read - even if his package will take longer.  Something about
>> > the trust factor perhaps.
>>

>> I assure you that my work is correct and that my rpm is ok
>
> Sadly you weren't being judged on your work but on the quality of your
> second, or third, language..

Having thought about it, I agree with you, I was a bit harsh given the
language barrier.  It's not fair to smart people who may not speak
English so well, but when you see an email from someone new that is
really hard to understand and not written in even simple sentences and
without spell check, well, you do have to make *some* judgments.
Anyway, sorry to "ml" (another reason to be iffy).

> The OP has decided - and he has that right - that only Mudd's rpm's will do.

Yes, as they've built a reputation for being quite reliable and well done.

Re: Postfix stable release 2.9.0

Nikolaos Milas
On 2/2/2012 12:01 πμ, Reindl Harald wrote:

> rebuild postfix usually is a work of 5 minutes
> was there and distributed 2.8.8 two hours ago to 20 machines via RPM

Hi,

Where can we find a 2.8.x .src.rpm with *standard* Centos 5 postfix
features (ldap, sasl, tls etc.)

Thanks,
Nick

Re: Postfix stable release 2.9.0

/dev/rob0
On Wed, Feb 01, 2012 at 09:00:56PM -0800, Ori Bani wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 8:43 PM, Simon Brereton
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The OP has decided - and he has that right - that only Mudd's
> > rpm's will do.
>
> Yes, as they've built a reputation for being quite reliable and
> well done.

Agreed, Simon does a good job with his SRPMs. But also agreed with
other posters: it is not difficult to edit Simon's spec file and roll
your own. I'm sure that is what he does with most new releases.
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/ -- system administration and consulting

Re: Postfix stable release 2.9.0

Simon J Mudd
[hidden email] (Ori Bani) writes:

> On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 5:58 AM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
> > http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-2.9.0.html]
> >
> > Postfix stable release 2.9.0 is available. The main changes in no
> > particular order are:
> >

> Does anyone know how soon Simon Mudd usually responds to releases like
> this?  Not trying to hurry anyone, *just* asking.

Hi. Best I answer I guess. As most of you probably realise I'm not
following postfix much now. Work and family means I have a lot less
time to do that, but also I started working on the rpms when there
were none. Now that situation is quite different.

So I've been poked that 2.9 is out (thanks) and I will have a look
over the next few days to see if I can build a 2.9 version of my rpms.
I've also updated the 2.8 version to 2.8.8, as they were a bit behind.
If others think that I should update the other older versions please
let me know.

So if people still have an interest in my rpms and find them out of date,
missing functionality etc, pleas poke me offlist directly and I'll respond
as and if I can.  It's great to see that postfix development is still
ongoing and if the work I've been doing is still useful for some then
I'll try and keep up to date.

Simon

Also look at: https://github.com/sjmudd/postfix-rpm where the source
of the rpm build scripts I use is kept.