Postfix stable release 3.4.2

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Wietse Venema
[An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-3.4.2.html]

Postfix stable release 3.4.2 is available.

  * DANE trust anchor file support was broken after the Postfix 3.4
    TLS library overhaul. Fix by Scott Kitterman.

  * LINUX5 is supported, based on sanity checks with a Rawhide
    prerelease.

  * Fixes for two null pointer reads in warnings for errors that
    never happen (in code from 7 and 18 years ago, respectively).

The plan is to maintain zero code difference between the stable
release and the development release, until there have been no
bug-of-the-week patches for much more than several weeks.

You can find the updated Postfix source code at the mirrors listed
at http://www.postfix.org/.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Francesc Peñalvez-2
when will this version be published? on the web is not yet the source or
the change list

*************************************************************************************************
Este mensaje y todos los archivos adjuntos son confidenciales y de uso exclusivo por parte
de su/sus destinatario/s. Si usted ha recibido este mensaje por error, le agradecemos que
lo notifique inmediatamente al remitente y destruya el mensaje. Queda prohibida cualquier
modificación, edición, uso o divulgación no autorizados. El Emisor no se hace responsable
de este mensaje si ha sido modificado, distorsionado, falsificado, infectado por un virus o
editado o difundido sin autorización.


***********************************************************************************************
This message and any attachments are confidential and intended for the named addressee(s) only.
If you have received this message in error, please notify immediately the sender, then delete
the message. Any unauthorized modification, edition, use or dissemination is prohibited.
The sender shall not be liable for this message if it has been modified, altered, falsified, infected
by a virus or even edited or disseminated without authorization.
***********************************************************************************************

El 10/03/2019 a las 23:19, Wietse Venema escribió:

> [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
> http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-3.4.2.html]
>
> Postfix stable release 3.4.2 is available.
>
>    * DANE trust anchor file support was broken after the Postfix 3.4
>      TLS library overhaul. Fix by Scott Kitterman.
>
>    * LINUX5 is supported, based on sanity checks with a Rawhide
>      prerelease.
>
>    * Fixes for two null pointer reads in warnings for errors that
>      never happen (in code from 7 and 18 years ago, respectively).
>
> The plan is to maintain zero code difference between the stable
> release and the development release, until there have been no
> bug-of-the-week patches for much more than several weeks.
>
> You can find the updated Postfix source code at the mirrors listed
> at http://www.postfix.org/.
>
> Wietse


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Wietse Venema
Francesc Pe?alvez:
> when will this version be published? on the web is not yet the source or
> the change list

It is released on www.porcupine.org. If you get it from a
Postfix mirror, then you will have to wait up to 24 hours.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Francesc Peñalvez-2
there is an error in that web if i choose the link of wietse own site
the link download is this
ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/mirrors/postfix-release/index.html

*************************************************************************************************
Este mensaje y todos los archivos adjuntos son confidenciales y de uso exclusivo por parte
de su/sus destinatario/s. Si usted ha recibido este mensaje por error, le agradecemos que
lo notifique inmediatamente al remitente y destruya el mensaje. Queda prohibida cualquier
modificación, edición, uso o divulgación no autorizados. El Emisor no se hace responsable
de este mensaje si ha sido modificado, distorsionado, falsificado, infectado por un virus o
editado o difundido sin autorización.


***********************************************************************************************
This message and any attachments are confidential and intended for the named addressee(s) only.
If you have received this message in error, please notify immediately the sender, then delete
the message. Any unauthorized modification, edition, use or dissemination is prohibited.
The sender shall not be liable for this message if it has been modified, altered, falsified, infected
by a virus or even edited or disseminated without authorization.
***********************************************************************************************

El 11/03/2019 a las 0:07, Wietse Venema escribió:
> Francesc Pe?alvez:
>> when will this version be published? on the web is not yet the source or
>> the change list
> It is released on www.porcupine.org. If you get it from a
> Postfix mirror, then you will have to wait up to 24 hours.
>
> Wietse


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Francesc Peñalvez-2
Is there a simple way to make a deb package from source or do an update
from a deb package?

*************************************************************************************************
Este mensaje y todos los archivos adjuntos son confidenciales y de uso exclusivo por parte
de su/sus destinatario/s. Si usted ha recibido este mensaje por error, le agradecemos que
lo notifique inmediatamente al remitente y destruya el mensaje. Queda prohibida cualquier
modificación, edición, uso o divulgación no autorizados. El Emisor no se hace responsable
de este mensaje si ha sido modificado, distorsionado, falsificado, infectado por un virus o
editado o difundido sin autorización.


***********************************************************************************************
This message and any attachments are confidential and intended for the named addressee(s) only.
If you have received this message in error, please notify immediately the sender, then delete
the message. Any unauthorized modification, edition, use or dissemination is prohibited.
The sender shall not be liable for this message if it has been modified, altered, falsified, infected
by a virus or even edited or disseminated without authorization.
***********************************************************************************************

El 11/03/2019 a las 0:21, Francesc Peñalvez escribió:

> there is an error in that web if i choose the link of wietse own site
> the link download is this
> ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/mirrors/postfix-release/index.html
>
> *************************************************************************************************
>
> Este mensaje y todos los archivos adjuntos son confidenciales y de uso
> exclusivo por parte
> de su/sus destinatario/s. Si usted ha recibido este mensaje por error,
> le agradecemos que
> lo notifique inmediatamente al remitente y destruya el mensaje. Queda
> prohibida cualquier
> modificación, edición, uso o divulgación no autorizados. El Emisor no
> se hace responsable
> de este mensaje si ha sido modificado, distorsionado, falsificado,
> infectado por un virus o
> editado o difundido sin autorización.
>
>
> ***********************************************************************************************
>
> This message and any attachments are confidential and intended for the
> named addressee(s) only.
> If you have received this message in error, please notify immediately
> the sender, then delete
> the message. Any unauthorized modification, edition, use or
> dissemination is prohibited.
> The sender shall not be liable for this message if it has been
> modified, altered, falsified, infected
> by a virus or even edited or disseminated without authorization.
> ***********************************************************************************************
>
>
> El 11/03/2019 a las 0:07, Wietse Venema escribió:
>> Francesc Pe?alvez:
>>> when will this version be published? on the web is not yet the
>>> source or
>>> the change list
>> It is released on www.porcupine.org. If you get it from a
>> Postfix mirror, then you will have to wait up to 24 hours.
>>
>>     Wietse
>


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Wietse Venema
Francesc Pe?alvez:
> Is there a simple way to make a deb package from source or do an update
> from a deb package?

Postfix is platform neutral, so I don't do deb, rpm, pkg, or
other package managers. That is the job for distibutions.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by Francesc Peñalvez-2
Francesc Pe?alvez:
> there is an error in that web if i choose the link of wietse own site
> the link download is this
> ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/mirrors/postfix-release/index.html

Using Chrome? use http://ftp.porcupine.org/mirrors/postfix-release/index.html

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

@lbutlr
In reply to this post by Francesc Peñalvez-2
Please stop sending this nonsense to the list.

> On 10 Mar 2019, at 17:21, Francesc Peñalvez <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> *************************************************************************************************
> Este mensaje y todos los archivos adjuntos son confidenciales y de uso exclusivo por parte
> de su/sus destinatario/s. Si usted ha recibido este mensaje por error, le agradecemos que
> lo notifique inmediatamente al remitente y destruya el mensaje. Queda prohibida cualquier
> modificación, edición, uso o divulgación no autorizados. El Emisor no se hace responsable
> de este mensaje si ha sido modificado, distorsionado, falsificado, infectado por un virus o
> editado o difundido sin autorización.
>
>
> ***********************************************************************************************
> This message and any attachments are confidential and intended for the named addressee(s) only.
> If you have received this message in error, please notify immediately the sender, then delete
> the message. Any unauthorized modification, edition, use or dissemination is prohibited.
> The sender shall not be liable for this message if it has been modified, altered, falsified, infected
> by a virus or even edited or disseminated without authorization.
> ***********************************************************************************************

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

PGNet Dev
In reply to this post by Wietse Venema
On 3/10/19 3:19 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>    * LINUX5 is supported, based on sanity checks with a Rawhide
>      prerelease.

fyi, still

        cd postfix-3.4.2
                make tidy
                make -f Makefile.in MAKELEVEL= Makefiles
                 (echo "# Do not edit -- this file documents how Postfix was built for your machine."; /bin/sh makedefs) >makedefs.tmp
                 ATTENTION:
                 ATTENTION: Unknown system type: Linux 5.0.0-lp150.5.g6bc6477-default
                 ATTENTION:
                 make: *** [Makefile.in:31: Makefiles] Error 1
                 make: *** [Makefile:22: Makefiles] Error 2

checking,

        grep Linux makedefs
                #       Do not build with Linux EPOLL support.
                #       is unavailable on some recent Linux distributions.
                    Linux.1*)   SYSTYPE=LINUX1
                    Linux.2*)   SYSTYPE=LINUX2
        ??  Linux.[34].*) SYSTYPE=LINUX$RELEASE_MAJOR
                # The following was validated in 2014 on FreeBSD/Linux and Solaris 9.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Francesc Peñalvez-2
In reply to this post by Wietse Venema
sure i use it thanks!!

the question of whether there is a simple way to make a deb package, is
that I have a somewhat complicated configuration and I would not like to
lose it or run two postfix one in the local directory and the deb
package in normal sbin, so I asked if there is some simple way to pass
the source to package deb

*************************************************************************************************
Este mensaje y todos los archivos adjuntos son confidenciales y de uso exclusivo por parte
de su/sus destinatario/s. Si usted ha recibido este mensaje por error, le agradecemos que
lo notifique inmediatamente al remitente y destruya el mensaje. Queda prohibida cualquier
modificación, edición, uso o divulgación no autorizados. El Emisor no se hace responsable
de este mensaje si ha sido modificado, distorsionado, falsificado, infectado por un virus o
editado o difundido sin autorización.


***********************************************************************************************
This message and any attachments are confidential and intended for the named addressee(s) only.
If you have received this message in error, please notify immediately the sender, then delete
the message. Any unauthorized modification, edition, use or dissemination is prohibited.
The sender shall not be liable for this message if it has been modified, altered, falsified, infected
by a virus or even edited or disseminated without authorization.
***********************************************************************************************

El 11/03/2019 a las 0:34, Wietse Venema escribió:
> Francesc Pe?alvez:
>> there is an error in that web if i choose the link of wietse own site
>> the link download is this
>> ftp://ftp.porcupine.org/mirrors/postfix-release/index.html
> Using Chrome? use http://ftp.porcupine.org/mirrors/postfix-release/index.html
>
> Wietse


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by PGNet Dev
PGNet Dev:
> On 3/10/19 3:19 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
> >    * LINUX5 is supported, based on sanity checks with a Rawhide
> >      prerelease.
>
> fyi, still

Sorry, I forgot to update the makedefs script.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Francesc Peñalvez-2
In reply to this post by @lbutlr

Sorry its my firm,i erease when send mail to this list


smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Benny Pedersen-2
Francesc Peñalvez skrev den 2019-03-11 00:44:
> Sorry its my firm,i erease when send mail to this list

and there is freemail where forced signatures is not done
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

John Stoffel-2
In reply to this post by PGNet Dev
>>>>> "PGNet" == PGNet Dev <[hidden email]> writes:

PGNet> On 3/10/19 3:19 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
>> * LINUX5 is supported, based on sanity checks with a Rawhide
>> prerelease.

PGNet> fyi, still

PGNet> cd postfix-3.4.2
PGNet> make tidy
PGNet> make -f Makefile.in MAKELEVEL= Makefiles
PGNet> (echo "# Do not edit -- this file documents how Postfix was built for your machine."; /bin/sh makedefs) >makedefs.tmp
PGNet> ATTENTION:
PGNet> ATTENTION: Unknown system type: Linux 5.0.0-lp150.5.g6bc6477-default
PGNet> ATTENTION:
PGNet> make: *** [Makefile.in:31: Makefiles] Error 1
PGNet> make: *** [Makefile:22: Makefiles] Error 2

PGNet> checking,

PGNet> grep Linux makedefs
PGNet> #       Do not build with Linux EPOLL support.
PGNet> #       is unavailable on some recent Linux distributions.
PGNet>    Linux.1*)   SYSTYPE=LINUX1
PGNet>    Linux.2*)   SYSTYPE=LINUX2
PGNet> ??  Linux.[34].*) SYSTYPE=LINUX$RELEASE_MAJOR
PGNet> # The following was validated in 2014 on FreeBSD/Linux and Solaris 9.


And we're going to run into this exact same problem the next time
Linus bumps the major version, which happened when he went to 3., and
to 4.x.  Maybe it's make more sense to assume that all new releases
are compatible, and only add in a nother switch statement when you
know there's an issue?

John
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Ralph Seichter-2
* John Stoffel:

> And we're going to run into this exact same problem the next time
> Linus bumps the major version

Looking at the Linux Kernel development history, you see that major
versions have been released years apart. Version 5 has only just
arrived.

> Maybe it's make more sense to assume that all new releases are
> compatible, and only add in a nother switch statement when you know
> there's an issue?

Personally, I prefer Wietse to run QA and change the build when he is
satisfied things are working. You can always make local changes if you
are in a hurry, some years down the road. ;-)

-Ralph
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Bastian Blank-3
On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 05:28:15PM +0100, Ralph Seichter wrote:
> * John Stoffel:
> > And we're going to run into this exact same problem the next time
> > Linus bumps the major version
> Looking at the Linux Kernel development history, you see that major
> versions have been released years apart. Version 5 has only just
> arrived.

The large problem is, that on Linux the version of the kernel only
defines the kernel interface.  It however does not show if the libc for
userspace contains a syscal wrapper to make it usable.  You can upgrade
one without the other for a wide variety of combinations.  There are
even multiple libc implementations available.

This is different to all the BSD, where kernel and libc are defined as
one unit and need to be updated in particular order to not break stuff.

Let's assume you are running Linux 5.0 with glibc 2.2.  Linux 5.0
support epoll_create, glibc 2.2 does not contain a syscall wrapper, so
it is not usable from userspace.  What will you do?

> > Maybe it's make more sense to assume that all new releases are
> > compatible, and only add in a nother switch statement when you know
> > there's an issue?
> Personally, I prefer Wietse to run QA and change the build when he is
> satisfied things are working. You can always make local changes if you
> are in a hurry, some years down the road. ;-)

QA for what?  QA that the libc interface did not change suddenly?

Bastian

--
Four thousand throats may be cut in one night by a running man.
                -- Klingon Soldier, "Day of the Dove", stardate unknown
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Ralph Seichter-2
* Bastian Blank:

> The large problem is, that on Linux the version of the kernel only
> defines the kernel interface.

I hope you'll understand that I'm not interested in discussing the
perceived shortcomings of Linux kernel and libc packaging/versioning on
the Postfix mailing list.

My point is that I'd rather wait for Wietse to perform tests when a new
major kernel version, libc version, OpenSSL version, etc. comes around
than to assume that somehow all will turn out well, as was previously
implied. One of the hallmarks of Postfix is reliability, and I think
that should continue to be a focus.

-Ralph
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Scott Kitterman-4
In reply to this post by Wietse Venema
On Sunday, March 10, 2019 06:19:42 PM Wietse Venema wrote:
> Postfix stable release 3.4.2 is available.
>
>   * DANE trust anchor file support was broken after the Postfix 3.4
>     TLS library overhaul. Fix by Scott Kitterman.

I'm not sure how you feel about retroactive history revisions, but I didn't
write the fix, just forwarded from a fellow Debian developer.  The fix was
actually by:

intrigeri <[hidden email]>

(yes, not a 'real name', but how he's known in the FOSS world)

I'd prefer not to take credit for someone else's work, but understand if you
don't want to go back and change things 'in the past'.

Scott K
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Wietse Venema
Scott Kitterman:

> On Sunday, March 10, 2019 06:19:42 PM Wietse Venema wrote:
> > Postfix stable release 3.4.2 is available.
> >
> >   * DANE trust anchor file support was broken after the Postfix 3.4
> >     TLS library overhaul. Fix by Scott Kitterman.
>
> I'm not sure how you feel about retroactive history revisions, but I didn't
> write the fix, just forwarded from a fellow Debian developer.  The fix was
> actually by:
>
> intrigeri <[hidden email]>
>
> (yes, not a 'real name', but how he's known in the FOSS world)
>
> I'd prefer not to take credit for someone else's work, but understand if you
> don't want to go back and change things 'in the past'.

I can update the files that I can update.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix stable release 3.4.2

Scott Kitterman-4


On March 11, 2019 9:29:07 PM UTC, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Scott Kitterman:
>> On Sunday, March 10, 2019 06:19:42 PM Wietse Venema wrote:
>> > Postfix stable release 3.4.2 is available.
>> >
>> >   * DANE trust anchor file support was broken after the Postfix 3.4
>> >     TLS library overhaul. Fix by Scott Kitterman.
>>
>> I'm not sure how you feel about retroactive history revisions, but I
>didn't
>> write the fix, just forwarded from a fellow Debian developer.  The
>fix was
>> actually by:
>>
>> intrigeri <[hidden email]>
>>
>> (yes, not a 'real name', but how he's known in the FOSS world)
>>
>> I'd prefer not to take credit for someone else's work, but understand
>if you
>> don't want to go back and change things 'in the past'.
>
>I can update the files that I can update.
>
> Wietse

Thanks.  I certainly can't ask for more than that.

Scott K