Postfix stable release 3.5.0

Wietse Venema
[An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-3.5.0.html]

Postfix stable release 3.5.0 is available. Support has ended for
legacy release Postfix 3.1.

The main changes are below. See the RELEASE_NOTES file for further details.

  * Support for the haproxy v2 protocol. The Postfix implementation
    supports TCP over IPv4 and IPv6, as well as non-proxied
    connections; the latter are typically used for heartbeat tests.

  * Support to force-expire email messages. This introduces new
    postsuper(1) command-line options to request expiration, and
    additional information in mailq(1) or postqueue(1) output.

  * The Postfix SMTP and LMTP client support a list of nexthop
    destinations separated by comma or whitespace. These destinations
    will be tried in the specified order. Examples:

    /etc/postfix/main.cf:
        relayhost = foo.example, bar.example
        default_transport = smtp:foo.example, bar.example

Incompatible changes:

  * Logging: Postfix daemon processes now log the from= and to=
    addresses in external (quoted) form in non-debug logging (info,
    warning, etc.). This means that when an address localpart
    contains spaces or other special characters, the localpart will
    be quoted, for example:

        from=<"name with spaces"@example.com>

    Specify "info_log_address_format = internal" for backwards compatibility.

  * Postfix now normalizes IP addresses received with XCLIENT,
    XFORWARD, or with the HaProxy protocol, for consistency with
    direct connections to Postfix. This may change the appearance
    of logging, and the way that check_client_access will match
    subnets of an IPv6 address.

You can find the updated Postfix source code at the mirrors listed
at http://www.postfix.org/.

Re: Postfix stable release 3.5.0

Viktor Dukhovni
On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 10:16:13AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

> [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
> http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-3.5.0.html]
>
> Postfix stable release 3.5.0 is available. Support has ended for
> legacy release Postfix 3.1.

Congratulations and thanks for the continued support!

This is roughly (I am surely missing some early snapshots) number 1145
in a linear sequence of public snapshots starting with beta-19990122 (I
don't have a copy of anything earlier).

Including stable release updates and non-prod snapshots the total
tarball count rises to 1653.  A daunting volume of work over more than
21 years.  Much appreciated.

Re: Postfix stable release 3.5.0

Scott Kitterman-4

On March 16, 2020 10:49:26 PM UTC, Viktor Dukhovni <[hidden email]> wrote:

>On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 10:16:13AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
>> [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
>> http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-3.5.0.html]
>>
>> Postfix stable release 3.5.0 is available. Support has ended for
>> legacy release Postfix 3.1.
>
>Congratulations and thanks for the continued support!
>
>This is roughly (I am surely missing some early snapshots) number 1145
>in a linear sequence of public snapshots starting with beta-19990122 (I
>don't have a copy of anything earlier).
>
>Including stable release updates and non-prod snapshots the total
>tarball count rises to 1653.  A daunting volume of work over more than
>21 years.  Much appreciated.

Absolutely.

I've uploaded 3.5.0 to Debian Unstable and it's built on all 19 Linux architectures we build for.  That seems like a lot to me.  Cross-platform support doesn't happen by accident.

I'd also like to take special note of the long support for existing releases.  Because of the consistently high quality of postfix updates, we do post-Debian release updates for our stable users.  We've been able to provide them with a continuously improving experience through delivering these updates (a Debian oldstable user can install 3.1.15 from our repositories and 3.4.10 should be available for stable in a few days).  I really appreciate your continuing commitment to quality.

Scott K

Re: Postfix stable release 3.5.0

Viktor Dukhovni:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 10:16:13AM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:
>
> > [An on-line version of this announcement will be available at
> > http://www.postfix.org/announcements/postfix-3.5.0.html]
> >
> > Postfix stable release 3.5.0 is available. Support has ended for
> > legacy release Postfix 3.1.
>
> Congratulations and thanks for the continued support!
>
> This is roughly (I am surely missing some early snapshots) number 1145
> in a linear sequence of public snapshots starting with beta-19990122 (I
> don't have a copy of anything earlier).
>
> Including stable release updates and non-prod snapshots the total
> tarball count rises to 1653.  A daunting volume of work over more than
> 21 years.  Much appreciated.

You're welcome, and of course thanks for your contributions over
the years.

To get some iedea of the number of tarballs prior to the public beta:

  1  142562 May  7  1997 19970220.tar.gz (23 years ago)
129  394329 Jul 10  2000 19980107-alpha.tar.gz (closed alpha)
258   21619 Dec  8  1998 postfix-contrib-beta.tar.gz
259  591523 May  7  1999 postfix-beta-19981209.tar.gz

The last two are the split Postfix beta, with separate tarballs for
contributed code and IBM-original code. I guess this is a version that

Re: Postfix stable release 3.5.0

SysAdmin EM
Hello! excellent work, the option to bounce emails manually is very useful for me.

Never perform the update through the source code. I would like to know if I can get the src.rpm for Centos?

El lun., 16 de mar. de 2020 a la(s) 11:18, Wietse Venema ([hidden email]) escribió:
[...]

Wesley Peng-11
Nice work on the release. Thanks Wietse.

Mar 17, 2020, 21:39 by [hidden email]: