Postfix tarball uninstall

Paul van der Linden-4
Hi,
I had installed postfix from the tarball, but made some mistakes. So to be
sure everything is correct I want to reinstall Postfix (probably from a
package), so I first need to uninstall it. But there is no make
uninstall/remove or some removal program, is there any way to uninstall it
properly?

greetings,
Paul

Re: Postfix tarball uninstall

Wietse Venema
Paul:
> Hi,
> I had installed postfix from the tarball, but made some mistakes. So to be
> sure everything is correct I want to reinstall Postfix (probably from a
> package), so I first need to uninstall it. But there is no make
> uninstall/remove or some removal program, is there any way to uninstall it
> properly?

The answer depends on whose tarball you have installed.

Re: Postfix tarball uninstall

Victor Duchovni
On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 12:21:15PM +0100, Paul wrote:

> I had installed postfix from the tarball, but made some mistakes. So to be
> sure everything is correct I want to reinstall Postfix (probably from a
> package), so I first need to uninstall it. But there is no make
> uninstall/remove or some removal program, is there any way to uninstall it
> properly?

The "postfix-files" file found in $config_directory, or in the most
recent versions of Postfix in $daemon_directory, contains a list of all
the files that are installed when Postfix is instaled from source.

"cd" to the directory that contains the "postfix-files" file and in
a POSIX shell (ksh, bash, or "sh" on most systems) run:

    eval "$(postconf command_directory daemon_directory html_directory \
            mailq_path manpage_directory newaliases_path readme_directory \
            sendmail_path | sed -e 's/ = /=/; s,^,export ,')"
    perl -F: -lane '
        next if ($F[1] eq "d" || $F[5] =~ /o/); # directory or obsolete
    next unless $F[0] =~ m{^\$(\w+)}; # comment
        next unless defined($path = $ENV{$1}); # keep
        $F[0] =~ s/\$(\w+)/$path/; # expand;
        next unless (-l $F[0] || -f _); # link or file
        printf "%s\n", $F[0];
    ' postfix-files

this will output the list of files to remove.

I've installed the source tarball from postfix.org

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:30:30 -0500, Victor Duchovni wrote:

> The "postfix-files" file found in $config_directory, or in the most
> recent versions of Postfix in $daemon_directory, contains a list of all
> the files that are installed when Postfix is instaled from source.
>
> "cd" to the directory that contains the "postfix-files" file and in
> a POSIX shell (ksh, bash, or "sh" on most systems) run:
>
>     eval "$(postconf command_directory daemon_directory html_directory \
>    mailq_path manpage_directory newaliases_path readme_directory \
>    sendmail_path | sed -e 's/ = /=/; s,^,export ,')"
>     perl -F: -lane '
> next if ($F[1] eq "d" || $F[5] =~ /o/); # directory or obsolete
>     next unless $F[0] =~ m{^\$(\w+)}; # comment
> next unless defined($path = $ENV{$1}); # keep
> $F[0] =~ s/\$(\w+)/$path/; # expand;
> next unless (-l $F[0] || -f _); # link or file
> printf "%s\n", $F[0];
>     ' postfix-files
>
> this will output the list of files to remove.

That will only list the files which are installed, but it also configures
FreeBSD to use it as it's MTA, that will not be uninstalled by just
removing to files I guess.

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 05:37:00PM +0100, Paul wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:30:30 -0500, Victor Duchovni wrote:
>
> > The "postfix-files" file found in $config_directory, or in the most
> > recent versions of Postfix in $daemon_directory, contains a list of all
> > the files that are installed when Postfix is instaled from source.
> >
> > "cd" to the directory that contains the "postfix-files" file and in
> > a POSIX shell (ksh, bash, or "sh" on most systems) run:
> >
> >     eval "$(postconf command_directory daemon_directory html_directory \
> >    mailq_path manpage_directory newaliases_path readme_directory \
> >    sendmail_path | sed -e 's/ = /=/; s,^,export ,')"
> >     perl -F: -lane '
> > next if ($F[1] eq "d" || $F[5] =~ /o/); # directory or obsolete
> >     next unless $F[0] =~ m{^\$(\w+)}; # comment
> > next unless defined($path = $ENV{$1}); # keep
> > $F[0] =~ s/\$(\w+)/$path/; # expand;
> > next unless (-l $F[0] || -f _); # link or file
> > printf "%s\n", $F[0];
> >     ' postfix-files
> >
> > this will output the list of files to remove.
>
> That will only list the files which are installed, but it also configures
> FreeBSD to use it as it's MTA, that will not be uninstalled by just
> removing to files I guess.

The Postfix "tarball" from "postfix.org" does not do any such thing. Which
"it" did you have in mind?

Re: Postfix tarball uninstall

J.P. Trosclair
Paul wrote:
> That will only list the files which are installed, but it also configures
> FreeBSD to use it as it's MTA, that will not be uninstalled by just
> removing to files I guess.

That should be easy to deal with. These settings are changed in a file
called mailer.conf.

Here's the documentation from FreeBSD on the topic:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/mail-changingmta.html

Re: Postfix tarball uninstall

Paul van der Linden-4
>The Postfix "tarball" from "postfix.org" does not do any such thing. Which
>"it" did you have in mind?

It putted itself in some weird manner in my startup.

>That should be easy to deal with. These settings are changed in a file
>called mailer.conf.

I already changed that, but still it gotten booten up from my system
I've set all sendmail startup scripts to no, so it doesn't start anything,
completely no sendmail isn't an option too

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 06:58:35PM +0100, Paul wrote:

> >The Postfix "tarball" from "postfix.org" does not do any such thing. Which
> >"it" did you have in mind?
>
> It putted itself in some weird manner in my startup.
>
> >That should be easy to deal with. These settings are changed in a file
> >called mailer.conf.
>
> I already changed that, but still it gotten booten up from my system
> I've set all sendmail startup scripts to no, so it doesn't start anything,
> completely no sendmail isn't an option too

Well you de-installed Postfix, the rest is up to you. Install a new MTA of
your choice, perhaps another version of Postfix, perhaps something else.