Postfix transition to new server

Shelley Waltz
I ma moving my mail services smtp/amavisd/spamassassin/cyrus-imapd to a
new server.  I plan to do this 10 users at a time rather than in one fell
swoop.
I did this a few years ago and it went well, but things are a bit
different since the addition of amavisd and spamassassin.

Here is what I plan ...
Keep all users on the old server (postfix-2.0.18) and for those moving to
the new server, create a forwarding alias in /etc/postfix/aliases which
will
forward their mail to the new server (postfix-2.3.3) to be received and
processed for spam/virus and put in imap inbox.

My question is related to the forwarding and the headers on the forwarded
mail. Postfix will add headers which will make the mail look like it is
local since it has already been received.  I wish the forwarded mail to
look like it did before being received by the old server since I want to
be able to test my new server smtp/amavisd ... to ensure it works well for
internal as well as externally received mail.

Is there a way to have this happen - can one tell postfix not to add any
headers on forwarded mail?  Is there a way to accomplish this in some
other way?

{ Shelley Waltz
  Center for Advanced Biotechnology and Medicine
  Rutgers University / UMDNJ
  679 Hoes Lane
  Piscataway, NJ 08854-5638
  732 235 3346 };

Re: Postfix transition to new server

mouss-2
Shelley Waltz wrote:

> I ma moving my mail services smtp/amavisd/spamassassin/cyrus-imapd to a
> new server.  I plan to do this 10 users at a time rather than in one fell
> swoop.
> I did this a few years ago and it went well, but things are a bit
> different since the addition of amavisd and spamassassin.
>
> Here is what I plan ...
> Keep all users on the old server (postfix-2.0.18) and for those moving to
> the new server, create a forwarding alias in /etc/postfix/aliases which
> will
> forward their mail to the new server (postfix-2.3.3) to be received and
> processed for spam/virus and put in imap inbox.
>
> My question is related to the forwarding and the headers on the forwarded
> mail. Postfix will add headers which will make the mail look like it is
> local since it has already been received.  I wish the forwarded mail to
> look like it did before being received by the old server since I want to
> be able to test my new server smtp/amavisd ... to ensure it works well for
> internal as well as externally received mail.

in your spamassassin, configure internal_networks correctly and it
should be ok.

> Is there a way to have this happen - can one tell postfix not to add any
> headers on forwarded mail?

If you really insist on this, then you can use header_checks with an
IGNORE action, on the new server (do not do this on the server that
receives mail from the internet. otherwise, you lose the information
about the sending client).

>   Is there a way to accomplish this in some
> other way?

if your problem is to get spamassassin to correctly parse the message,
then use internal_networks.

Re: Postfix transition to new server

Shelley Waltz
Ok, thanks this is very helpful.  I read through the spamassassin conf
docs and here is what I conclude, tell me if I am wrong ...

I have old server which is a trusted host(relays spam, but does not
originate spam) which has IP aaa.bbb.ccc.11.  This host is also a MX for
my domain.

I have a new server which is a trusted host and a MX for my domain which
has IP aaa.bbb.ccc.12.

so, in the /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf on new server I would put

trusted_networks 127.0.0.1
trusted_networks aaa.bbb.ccc.0/24  !my class C

internal_networks 127.0.0.1
internal_networks aaa.bbb.ccc.11! old server/MX
internal_networks aaa.bbb.ccc.12! new server/MX