Problem with Black List

12

Problem with Black List

Sasa-8
Hi, from some days I have a problem with black list and in particular with
list.dsbl.org and cbl.abuseat.org, but is strangely that on the black list
web site the IP address isn't present with CBL Lookup Utility, the returned
mail say:

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [hidden email]
Remote-MTA: dns; mail.test.it
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host
    [81.xxx.xxx.xxx] blocked using cbl.abuseat.org

Thanks.

------

   Salvatore.

Re: Problem with Black List

Ralf Hildebrandt
* Sasa <[hidden email]>:

> Hi, from some days I have a problem with black list and in particular with
> list.dsbl.org and cbl.abuseat.org, but is strangely that on the black list
> web site the IP address isn't present with CBL Lookup Utility, the
> returned mail say:
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; [hidden email]
> Remote-MTA: dns; mail.test.it
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host
>    [81.xxx.xxx.xxx] blocked using cbl.abuseat.org

Show the real IP.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt ([hidden email])          [hidden email]
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155
What's the most effective Windows NT remote management tool?
A car.

Re: Problem with Black List

Sasa-8
..the real IP is:

81.174.15.157

Thanks.

------

   Salvatore.

>> Hi, from some days I have a problem with black list and in particular
>> with
>> list.dsbl.org and cbl.abuseat.org, but is strangely that on the black
>> list
>> web site the IP address isn't present with CBL Lookup Utility, the
>> returned mail say:
>>
>> Final-Recipient: rfc822; [hidden email]
>> Remote-MTA: dns; mail.test.it
>> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host
>>    [81.xxx.xxx.xxx] blocked using cbl.abuseat.org
>
> Show the real IP.
>
> --
> Ralf Hildebrandt ([hidden email])
> [hidden email]
> Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450
> 570-155
> http://www.arschkrebs.de
> What's the most effective Windows NT remote management tool?
> A car.

Re: Problem with Black List

Ralf Hildebrandt
* Sasa <[hidden email]>:
> ..the real IP is:
>
> 81.174.15.157

So maybe it was listed but isn't anymore.
CBL doesn't have a history...

>>> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host
>>>    [81.xxx.xxx.xxx] blocked using cbl.abuseat.org

http://openrbl.org/client/#81.174.15.157
I don't see it listed, either.

--
Ralf Hildebrandt ([hidden email])          [hidden email]
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155
http://www.arschkrebs.de
I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. - Groucho Marx

Re: Problem with Black List

Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman

Re: Problem with Black List

Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:

> * Sasa <[hidden email]>:
>
>> ..the real IP is:
>>
>> 81.174.15.157
>>

> So maybe it was listed but isn't anymore.
> CBL doesn't have a history...

or the error text is wrong...   maybe he is being rejected for "generic
rDNS"?
     http://postmaster.aol.com/guidelines/bestprac.html

$ host 81.174.15.157
157.15.174.81.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
81-174-15-157.staticnet.ngi.it

> http://openrbl.org/client/#81.174.15.157
> I don't see it listed, either.

Re: Problem with Black List

Sasa-8
I have make the control on CBL site on the same time that mail is blocked
and in that moment the IP ins't listed, then this IP address is another my
mail server and from this mail server isn't certainly the spam source.
This problem is present also on another mail server that use the same black
list.
I do not understand how it is possible this situation !
Thanks.

------

   Salvatore.

> So maybe it was listed but isn't anymore.
> CBL doesn't have a history...

> http://openrbl.org/client/#81.174.15.157
> I don't see it listed, either.
>
> --
> Ralf Hildebrandt ([hidden email])
> [hidden email]
> Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450
> 570-155
> http://www.arschkrebs.de
> I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury. - Groucho Marx

Re: Problem with Black List

Sasa-8
Hi, I am concordant about 'generic rDNS' that must to solved but I have two
dubious:

- why this problem is occasionally ? if the dns resolution is incorrect is
always incorrect
- why in on the same time that mail is blocked the IP ins't listed on CBL ?

Thanks.

------

   Salvatore.

>> So maybe it was listed but isn't anymore.
>> CBL doesn't have a history...
>>

> or the error text is wrong...   maybe he is being rejected for "generic
> rDNS"?
>     http://postmaster.aol.com/guidelines/bestprac.html
>
> $ host 81.174.15.157
> 157.15.174.81.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
> 81-174-15-157.staticnet.ngi.it

>> http://openrbl.org/client/#81.174.15.157
>> I don't see it listed, either.

Re: Problem with Black List

mouss-2
Sasa wrote:
> Hi, I am concordant about 'generic rDNS' that must to solved but I
> have two dubious:
>
> - why this problem is occasionally ? if the dns resolution is
> incorrect is always incorrect
> - why in on the same time that mail is blocked the IP ins't listed on
> CBL ?

the problem is on the server that blocks you. if its behaviour is not
consistent, then there's something wrong on that server, not on your side.

if your IP gets listed on cbl from time to time, then it is possible
that the remote server is using a "cached" version (they may do rsync
periodically) and are thus using "out of date" listings.

Re: Problem with Black List

Sasa-8
..sorry but in my first post I have drop:

sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org (in reply to RCPT TO command)

..the (in reply to RCPT TO command) can be important for to detect my
problem ?
Thanks.

------

   Salvatore.

Sasa wrote:
> ..sorry but in my first post I have drop:
>
> sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org (in reply to RCPT TO command)
>
> ..the (in reply to RCPT TO command) can be important for to detect my
> problem ?

In general, you need to show log lines as you see them (do not cut a line).

Re: Problem with Black List

Bill Cole-3
At 8:16 PM +0200 5/7/08, Sasa  imposed structure on a stream of
electrons, yielding:
>Hi, I am concordant about 'generic rDNS' that must to solved but I
>have two dubious:
>
>- why this problem is occasionally ? if the dns resolution is
>incorrect is always incorrect
>- why in on the same time that mail is blocked the IP ins't listed on CBL ?

Another possibility is that the site that is getting the bad lookup
is using a DNS server that is telling intentional lies.

There has recently been a spreading trend among ISP's of using their
customer-facing DNS resolvers to generate revenue by returning A
records pointing to their own special webservers in place of any
NXDOMAIN results that they get when resolving customer A queries.
This means that an error in the hostname part of a URL put into a web
browser gets a pretty page from the ISP's site explaining the
mistake, usually along with ads, correction suggestions, and a search
form.

Sites that have chosen to conserve their resources (arguably
unwisely) by using their ISP's resolvers rather than running their
own honest ones and who do not specify the result indicating a
listing (i.e. 127.0.0.2 for simple DNSBL's) in their configuration
can end up rejecting mail as a result, because they see any result as
a listing.

--
Bill Cole

Re: Problem with Black List

Sasa-8
I am sorry for my distraction !
Now the complete error message modify something about solution for my
problem ?
Thanks.

------

   Salvatore.

>> ..sorry but in my first post I have drop:
>>
>> sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org (in reply to RCPT TO command)
>>
>> ..the (in reply to RCPT TO command) can be important for to detect my
>> problem ?
>

> In general, you need to show log lines as you see them (do not cut a
> line).

Re: Problem with Black List

mouss-2
Sasa wrote:
> I am sorry for my distraction !
> Now the complete error message modify something about solution for my
> problem ?

maybe yes, maybe not.

if you don't show the complete message, there's no way to know.

Re: Problem with Black List

Sasa-8
Hi, the complete error message is:

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [hidden email]
Remote-MTA: dns; mail.test.it
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host
    [81.174.15.157] blocked using cbl.abuseat.org

Thanks.

------

   Salvatore.

>> Now the complete error message modify something about solution for my
>> problem ?
>
> maybe yes, maybe not.
>
> if you don't show the complete message, there's no way to know.

Re: Problem with Black List

Arne Hoffmann-2
Sasa wrote:

> Final-Recipient: rfc822; [hidden email]
> Remote-MTA: dns; mail.test.it
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host
>    [81.174.15.157] blocked using cbl.abuseat.org

Write a mail to [hidden email] and ask them to fix the problem.

Re: Problem with Black List

Sasa-8
Hi, unfortunately also for domain.it I am the postmaster !
Thanks.

------

   Salvatore.

Sasa wrote:
> Hi, the complete error message is:
>
> Final-Recipient: rfc822; [hidden email]
> Remote-MTA: dns; mail.test.it
> Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable; Client host
>    [81.174.15.157] blocked using cbl.abuseat.org

Citing myself, with emphasis on few words:

cut a line).

If you want help on the postfix mailing lists, show postfix logs.

Re: Problem with Black List

Sasa-8
Hi, this is postfix logs:

May  5 14:44:44 localhost postfix/smtpd[20350]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
81-174-15-157.staticnet.ngi.it[81.174.15.157]: 554 5.7.1 Service
unavailable; Client host [81.174.15.157] blocked using cbl.abuseat.org;
from=<[hidden email]> to=<[hidden email]> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail.domain.it>

Thanks.

------

   Salvatore.

Sasa wrote:
> Hi, this is postfix logs:
>
> May  5 14:44:44 localhost postfix/smtpd[20350]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT
> from 81-174-15-157.staticnet.ngi.it[81.174.15.157]: 554 5.7.1 Service
> unavailable; Client host [81.174.15.157] blocked using
> cbl.abuseat.org; from=<[hidden email]> to=<[hidden email]> proto=ESMTP
> helo=<mail.domain.it>

- show output of 'postconf -n'
- how does this system (the one that rejects the client. that is, the
one that generated the log above) perform DNS resolution?
 * do you run a DNS server (caching or whatever) or do you query one at
an ISP or some other party (opendns for instance)?
 * if you run a DNS server, what server is this (BIND9, ...)? and does
it forward requests to your ISP or some other party?

12