Problem with eMail on Cloud Servers

Nick
   Hi,
      I've been searching all over (even on Postfix.org) to find
    out how I can change the Maildir format.

      My older server (Ubuntu v8.04), with the postfix version it
    installed, saved all messages into one file, but on the newer
    servers (v10.04 and v12.04), postfix saves the messages to
    separate files within one of three directories.

    How can I configure the new servers to use the one file format?
    (I know it's less efficient - so I've been told several times)

                       Thanks in advance for the help,
                                                       Nick. . .

Re: Problem with eMail on Cloud Servers

Zhang Huangbin

On Thursday, August 16, 2012 at 8:53 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> How can I configure the new servers to use the one file format?
> (I know it's less efficient - so I've been told several times)

We use Postfix + Dovecot for mail server.

To use Maildir format in Postfix, set home_mailbox=Maildir/ in Postfix main.cf.
In Dovecot, set "mail_location = maildir:/%Lh/:INDEX=/%Lh/".

If you need a quick mail server solution, take a look at www.iredmail.org instead of setup all components manually.

----
Zhang Huangbin
iRedMail: Open Source Mail Server Solution for Red Hat Enterprise Linux,
CentOS, Scientific Linux, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, openSUSE,
FreeBSD, OpenBSD: http://www.iredmail.org/

                                                      Nick. . .

Re: Problem with eMail on Cloud Servers

Stan Hoeppner
On 8/15/2012 11:44 PM, Rich wrote:
> I have wondered why you would want your email in one file.  I have always
> thought it was better to have a setup like cyrus that uses skiplist or
> berkley.db. sounds like that is what you have. You have some sort of
> mailstore. check to see if its cyrus MTA. Sounds like that is what you are
> running. Postfix does not have a mailstore.

Postfix will perform delivery to a local UNIX mailbox in complete
absence of any other mail handling application, what you call a
"mailstore".  The UNIX mailbox standard is quite old, after all.

See local(8) "MAILBOX DELIVERY".

Stan

Re: Problem with eMail on Cloud Servers

[hidden email]:

>    Hi,
>       I've been searching all over (even on Postfix.org) to find
>     out how I can change the Maildir format.
>
>       My older server (Ubuntu v8.04), with the postfix version it
>     installed, saved all messages into one file, but on the newer
>     servers (v10.04 and v12.04), postfix saves the messages to
>     separate files within one of three directories.
>
>     How can I configure the new servers to use the one file format?
>     (I know it's less efficient - so I've been told several times)

As requested in the welcome message, send "postconf -n"
output and we'll tell you which parameter to change.

        Wietse