Problems with milter_default_action = accept

Problems with milter_default_action = accept

Patrick Ben Koetter-2
We've run into a problem with a MILTER, which Postfix is supposed to ignore in
case of problems. To do so we've configured Postfix to use
milter_default_action = accept, when it communicates with the milter, like
this:

mymilter = {
    inet:127.0.0.1:6677,
    connect_timeout=10s,
    default_action=accept
    }

smtpd_milters =
    $mymilter

However it doesn't work and I'm trying to understand why. What kind of
reply/return code does Postfix (or libmilter) need from the milter to let it
'accept' the message in question?

A little background:
The real culprit here is some crappy mail marketing software, which creates
non RFC-conform headers containing Umlauts like this:

    Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2020 09:53:42 +0100 (Mitteleuropäische Zeit)

This causes problems in the MILTER application/library. Unfortunately we are
not in a position to tell that particular customer to use something else at
the moment. So I'd like to let Postfix accept messages when the milter runs
into problems.

TIA,

p@rick

--
[*] sys4 AG

https://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Schleißheimer Straße 26/MG,80333 München

Re: Problems with milter_default_action = accept

Wietse Venema
Patrick Ben Koetter:
> However it doesn't work and I'm trying to understand why. What kind of
> reply/return code does Postfix (or libmilter) need from the milter to let it
> 'accept' the message in question?

NONE.

milter_default_action specifies an action in the case
that Postfix has No Milter Response.

        Wietse