Proper way to add LDAP support to an existing Postfix installation

Proper way to add LDAP support to an existing Postfix installation

Yeray Gutiérrez Cedrés-2
I'm running Postfix 2.3.8 in a Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 (Etch) box. I want
it to support LDAP but I don't know what would happen if I install the
postfix-ldap package via apt-get because of this:

# apt-get install --just-print postfix-ldap
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  libpcre3 postfix postfix-pcre

It says it would also install the postfix package, I don't know if it
would affect my already working configuration or not.

My other option is to reinstall it from source using:

# make makefiles CCARGS="-I/usr/local/include -DHAS_LDAP" \
    AUXLIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -lldap -L/usr/local/lib -llber"
# make
# make install

But I don't know if this would have also bad effects on my existing
postfix installation. What would be the proper way to do this?

Re: Proper way to add LDAP support to an existing Postfix installation

Barney Desmond
2009/8/17 Yeray Gutiérrez Cedrés <[hidden email]>:

> I'm running Postfix 2.3.8 in a Debian GNU/Linux 4.0 (Etch) box. I want
> it to support LDAP but I don't know what would happen if I install the
> postfix-ldap package via apt-get because of this:
>
> # apt-get install --just-print postfix-ldap
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>  libpcre3 postfix postfix-pcre
>
> It says it would also install the postfix package, I don't know if it
> would affect my already working configuration or not.
>
> My other option is to reinstall it from source using:
>
> # make makefiles CCARGS="-I/usr/local/include -DHAS_LDAP" \
>    AUXLIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -lldap -L/usr/local/lib -llber"
> # make
> # make install
>
> But I don't know if this would have also bad effects on my existing
> postfix installation. What would be the proper way to do this?

Aha, you've installed from source... I have a pessimistic suspicion
that the packaged version might well clobber your compiled version.
That said, if everything (the files) is in the same place then I guess
that shouldn't matter, but I've never installed Postfix from tarball
before.

Any particular reason you installed from source? The packaging page
indicates you get the same version anyway:
http://packages.debian.org/etch/postfix

If you can afford the work and downtime, you're probably better off
backing up your config and mailboxes, then replacing it with the
packaged version (without LDAP), get it working, then add LDAP.
</IMHO>