Puzzling error: Mailbox file "too large"

Puzzling error: Mailbox file "too large"

Phil Stracchino
One of my daughters cannot receive mail because Postfix apparently
thinks her mailbox file is too large:

Oct 28 16:05:31 minbar postfix/local[4960]: 4EF344037B962:
to=<[hidden email]>, relay=local, delay=5.6,
delays=5.5/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=5.2.2, status=bounced (cannot update mailbox
/var/spool/mail/valkyrie for user valkyrie. error writing message: File
too large)

The file is only 50MB and contains just under a thousand messages.  That
doesn't seem fatally oversized to me.  The relevant filesystem is only
about 10% full and there's nothing wrong with the file permissions.
*I'm* not setting any mailbox size or disk usage quotas that I know about.

Has anyone else run into this error and figured out what caused it?  I'm
scratching my head right now.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: +1.603.293.8485
  Mobile:   +1.603.998.6958

SOLVED Re: Puzzling error: Mailbox file "too large"

Phil Stracchino
On 10/28/18 7:07 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Oct 28 16:05:31 minbar postfix/local[4960]: 4EF344037B962:
> to=<[hidden email]>, relay=local, delay=5.6,
> delays=5.5/0.01/0/0.01, dsn=5.2.2, status=bounced (cannot update mailbox
> /var/spool/mail/valkyrie for user valkyrie. error writing message: File
> too large)
>

> The file is only 50MB and contains just under a thousand messages.  That
> doesn't seem fatally oversized to me.  The relevant filesystem is only
> about 10% full and there's nothing wrong with the file permissions.
> *I'm* not setting any mailbox size or disk usage quotas that I know about.

Never mind, never mind - I just found the right search term to identify
the problem.  It's running into the hardcoded *DEFAULT* of 50MB for
mailbox_size_limit.

Of course, once I know *that*, the problem is easily solved.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: +1.603.293.8485
  Mobile:   +1.603.998.6958

Re: SOLVED Re: Puzzling error: Mailbox file "too large"

Benny Pedersen-2
Phil Stracchino skrev den 2018-10-29 00:14:

> Never mind, never mind - I just found the right search term to identify
> the problem.  It's running into the hardcoded *DEFAULT* of 50MB for
> mailbox_size_limit.
>
> Of course, once I know *that*, the problem is easily solved.

is it mbox local lda setup ?

change it to maildir to get that limit pr mail not pr file

postfix does not pr default accept 50MB emails

if thats a helping hint

so never mind ?