Question about message_drop_headers and DKIM

Question about message_drop_headers and DKIM

J Doe
Hi,

I have a question regarding the message_drop_headers main.cf configuration parameter.

The man page states that it:

    “[specifies] names of message headers that the cleanup(8) daemon will
     remove after applying header_checks(5) and *BEFORE* invoking Milter
     applications...”

Checking man 8 cleanup I note this relates to:

    “...inbound mail...inserting into incoming mail queue...”

On the smtpd(8) server process, I have OpenDKIM configured to run as a Miller.  It currently notifies me in the log if DKIM signatures on incoming mail were found and if it was able to validate them.

BUT . . . If message_drop_headers is extracting some header information *BEFORE* running the OpenDKIM Milter, how is it that DKIM is not breaking ?  Isn’t that discarding header information that would be used in computing the DKIM signature ?

Thanks,

- J

Re: Question about message_drop_headers and DKIM

Wietse Venema
J Doe:
> BUT . . . If message_drop_headers is extracting some header
> information *BEFORE* running the OpenDKIM Milter, how is it that
> DKIM is not breaking ?

That is because the DKIM signature covers only the headers that
are mentioned in the signature.

        Wietse