Question about relay_domains parameter

J Doe
Hello,

I currently have my server configured to perform virtual domain hosting.  It forwards mail addressed to addresses for my virtual domain (ex: example.com), to Gmail accounts.

    Mail —> [hidden email] —> [hidden email]

I was reading more about the relay_domains parameter in “man 5 postconf”.  It states:

    “[specifies] destination domains (and subdomains thereof) this system
    will relay mail *TO*”

I note that on Postfix 3.0 and later (my server is Postfix 3.1.0), this value defaults to an empty value.  When I specify “postconf | grep -i relay_domains”, I note that if the compatibility_level is 2 or higher (which my server is configured to), the value defaults to $mydestination.

I have mydestination configured to “localhost”.

How is it, then, that my server is successfully forwarding to Gmail ?  Would I not have to specify the Gmail DNS names in relay_hosts ?  Should I explicitly configure that ?

Thanks,

- J

Re: Question about relay_domains parameter

Noel Jones-2
On 11/1/2017 8:41 PM, J Doe wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I currently have my server configured to perform virtual domain hosting.  It forwards mail addressed to addresses for my virtual domain (ex: example.com), to Gmail accounts.
>
>     Mail —> [hidden email] —> [hidden email]
>
> I was reading more about the relay_domains parameter in “man 5 postconf”.  It states:
>
>     “[specifies] destination domains (and subdomains thereof) this system
>     will relay mail *TO*”
>
> I note that on Postfix 3.0 and later (my server is Postfix 3.1.0), this value defaults to an empty value.  When I specify “postconf | grep -i relay_domains”, I note that if the compatibility_level is 2 or higher (which my server is configured to), the value defaults to $mydestination.

Yes, "relay_domains=$mydestination" was intended to mirror
(historical) behavior of sendmail(TM).  It has also been a source of
confusion, so the default was changed to empty some time ago.

> Would I not have to specify the Gmail DNS names in relay_hosts ?  Should I explicitly configure that ?

Not unless you own the gmail.com domain.  ;)

IIRC you're using virtual_alias_maps to rewrite local addresses to
gmail addresses.  If that's right, your domain should be listed in
virtual_alias_domains, with the user mappings listed in
virtual_alias_maps.

This is covered in ADDRESS_CLASS_README and the config examples.
http://www.postfix.org/STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html