Question with Postfix and SPF

Marcelo Vieira-3
Hello,

I have a question related with Postfix and SPF.

I have a server configured to check SPF MTA. Two domains uses that MTA.

When I receive an e-mail from outside (gmail / hotmail etc ...) the
verification of
SPF is ok. When sending an e-mail from a domain that exists in the MTA to
another, the SPF isnt checked, nor any information is written on logs.

E-mails exchanged between different domains on the same MTA should have
their SPF checked?

Re: Question with Postfix and SPF

Reindl Harald-2
Am 08.03.2012 16:44, schrieb Marcelo Vieira:
> I have a question related with Postfix and SPF.
> I have a server configured to check SPF MTA. Two domains uses that MTA.
>
> When I receive an e-mail from outside (gmail / hotmail etc ...) the verification of
> SPF is ok. When sending an e-mail from a domain that exists in the MTA to
> another, the SPF isnt checked, nor any information is written on logs.
> E-mails exchanged between different domains on the same MTA should have
> their SPF checked?

you are not understanding what SPF means
SENDER POLICY framework

why should this affect internal communication or trusted senders (mynetwork)
hopefully your machine trusts itself :-)

Re: Question with Postfix and SPF

Scott Kitterman-4
On Thursday, March 08, 2012 12:44:55 PM Marcelo Vieira wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question related with Postfix and SPF.
>
> I have a server configured to check SPF MTA. Two domains uses that MTA.
>
> When I receive an e-mail from outside (gmail / hotmail etc ...) the
> verification of
> SPF is ok. When sending an e-mail from a domain that exists in the MTA to
> another, the SPF isnt checked, nor any information is written on logs.
>
> E-mails exchanged between different domains on the same MTA should have
> their SPF checked?

You should probably take this up on an SPF related list.  See
http://www.openspf.org/Forums for information on how to subscribe to the spf-
help mailing list.

Scott K

Re: Question with Postfix and SPF

Marcelo Vieira:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question related with Postfix and SPF.
>
> I have a server configured to check SPF MTA. Two domains uses that MTA.
>
> When I receive an e-mail from outside (gmail / hotmail etc ...) the
> verification of
> SPF is ok. When sending an e-mail from a domain that exists in the MTA to
> another, the SPF isnt checked,

SPF is concerned with the details of an SMTP session (primarily,
the sender IP address, and the HELO command).  SMTP is not normally
used to deliver mail between domains on the same MTA. In the absence
of an SMTP sesion, there will be no SMTP session details to check.

> nor any information is written on logs.

On the contrary, Postfix logs profusely what is happening, but
none of that involves SMTP.

> E-mails exchanged between different domains on the same MTA should have
> their SPF checked?

How is that supposed to work, absent SMTP session details?

        Wietse