Quick question

blue_cowdawg
I know you can bind smptd to a specific address for outgoing email.  Is
it possible (or even feasible) to run multiple smtpd sessions, tying
each one to a specific IP address and routing email based on domain
name?

For instance:

          {most users} ---> smtpd instance 1
          {verizon.net}  --> smtpd instance 2

I'm having issues sending email to verizon.net destinations and my ISP
has offered me a third (!) IP address to use.  Verizon keeps insisting I
have no rDNS records and my IP is dynamically allocated.  Both
statements are false.

--

Peter L. Berghold   <[hidden email]>
Blogs:http://3d-art.berghold.net  ,

RE: Quick question

Robert Wolfe
Not sure, but this _MIGHT_ be what you need (YMMV):

http://www.kutukupret.com/2010/01/02/postfix-bind-sender-domain-to-dedicated-outgoing-ip-address/

I know you can bind smptd to a specific address for outgoing email.  Is
it possible (or even feasible) to run multiple smtpd sessions, tying
each one to a specific IP address and routing email based on domain
name?

For instance:

          {most users} ---> smtpd instance 1
          {verizon.net}  --> smtpd instance 2

I'm having issues sending email to verizon.net destinations and my ISP
has offered me a third (!) IP address to use.  Verizon keeps insisting I
have no rDNS records and my IP is dynamically allocated.  Both
statements are false.

--

Peter L. Berghold   <[hidden email]>
Blogs:http://3d-art.berghold.net  ,
http://puppet-blog.beghold.net ,http://nix.berghold.net
Passionate Gourmet Cook, Brewer of Beer, DogbEnthusiast and IT
Professional

E.F.A. Project, and is believed to be clean.

http://smtp.rivernet.us/cgi-bin/learn-msg.cgi?id=379561201A5.A05F4&token=662e8a6b420143d057ce0c96fa0ac549

Re: Quick question

Viktor Dukhovni
On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 04:21:07PM +0000, Wolfe, Robert wrote:

> Not sure, but this _MIGHT_ be what you need (YMMV):
>
> http://www.kutukupret.com/2010/01/02/postfix-bind-sender-domain-to-dedicated-outgoing-ip-address/

I read the OP's message as wanting to use a particular IP address
for sending *to* verizon.com (recipient not sender dependent).

We don't have a "smtp_bind_address_maps" feature, so this does
require a separate "smtp" transport in master.cf.

Selecting a transport by the recipient address is how Postfix works
normally.

Re: Quick question

Peter Ajamian
On 08/29/2015 03:48 AM, Peter L. Berghold wrote:
> I know you can bind smptd to a specific address for outgoing email.  Is
> it possible (or even feasible) to run multiple smtpd sessions, tying
> each one to a specific IP address and routing email based on domain
> name?

Yes, and examples of how to do that have been given in this mailing list
in the past.

> I'm having issues sending email to verizon.net destinations and my ISP
> has offered me a third (!) IP address to use.  Verizon keeps insisting I
> have no rDNS records and my IP is dynamically allocated.  Both
> statements are false.

They are likely referring to fcrdns and not just checking for a PTR
record.  See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward-confirmed_reverse_DNS

As for your IP being "dynamic", they probably have your IP block listed
in a policy RBL and so the solution there is to tell them that it is
*not* dynamic and to please remove your IP from their policy list.  If
your current IP is on their list then it is likely that any IP you get
from your ISP will also be on the same list, so trying different IPs
from your same ISP will not be very likely to help.

Peter