RHS item separators in alias and virtual lists: comma or space okay?

RHS item separators in alias and virtual lists: comma or space okay?

Tom Browder
It's clear that list items in main.cf can be comma or space separated. Is that also true for alias and virtual lists?

Thanks.

-Tom

Re: RHS item separators in alias and virtual lists: comma or space okay?

Benny Pedersen-2
Tom Browder skrev den 2017-08-29 18:36:
> It's clear that list items in main.cf [1] can be comma or space
> separated. Is that also true for alias and virtual lists?

simple question, simple answer

postconf -nf
postconf -Mf

this can be used to create new configs with, just remember backup old
ones

Re: RHS item separators in alias and virtual lists: comma or space okay?

Tom Browder:
> It's clear that list items in main.cf can be comma or space separated. Is
> that also true for alias and virtual lists?

What is an alias or virtual list?

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 15:46 Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tom Browder:
> It's clear that list items in main.cf can be comma or space separated. Is
> that also true for alias and virtual lists?

What is an alias or virtual list?

I mean the RHS of aliases, e.g., as in simple mailing lists in the alias file:

needles:

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 16:10 Tom Browder <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 15:46 Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tom Browder:
> It's clear that list items in main.cf can be comma or space separated. Is
> that also true for alias and virtual lists?

What is an alias or virtual list?

I mean the RHS of aliases, e.g., as in simple mailing lists in the alias file:

needles:

It seems to work so I guess spaces instead of commas are ok.

Thanks.

-Tom

Tom Browder skrev den 2017-08-29 23:11:

>> needles:
>> [hidden email]
>> [hidden email]
>
> It seems to work so I guess spaces instead of commas are ok.

to test it:

postmap -q needless maptype:mapfile

postmap -q needless hash:/etc/mail/aliases

Re: RHS item separators in alias and virtual lists: comma or space okay?

Tom Browder:

> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 15:46 Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Tom Browder:
> > > It's clear that list items in main.cf can be comma or space separated.
> > Is
> > > that also true for alias and virtual lists?
> >
> > What is an alias or virtual list?
>

> I mean the RHS of aliases, e.g., as in simple mailing lists in the alias
> file:
>
> needles:
>   [hidden email]
>   [hidden email]

Email addresses must be separated with commas. That is not a Postfix
requirement, but a requirement that follows from email address syntax.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 09:10:26PM +0000, Tom Browder wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 15:46 Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Tom Browder:
> > > It's clear that list items in main.cf can be comma or space separated.
> > Is
> > > that also true for alias and virtual lists?
> >
> > What is an alias or virtual list?
>

> I mean the RHS of aliases, e.g., as in simple mailing lists in the alias
> file:
>
> needles:
>   [hidden email]
>   [hidden email]

Use commas, that's the separator in lists of email addresses in
RFC2822 headers, and is also used by the Postfix *SQL and LDAP
drivers to translate multiple results into a list of addresses.

You can add spaces after commas for readability, you can also
fold lines, which makes "diffs" easier to read.

    aliases:
        users: moe, larry, curly

    virtual:
        [hidden email]
                [hidden email],
                [hidden email],

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tom Browder:
>> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 15:46 Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > What is an alias or virtual list?
>>
>> I mean the RHS of aliases, e.g., as in simple mailing lists in the alias
>> file:
>>
>> needles:
>>   [hidden email]
>>   [hidden email]
>
> Email addresses must be separated with commas. That is not a Postfix
> requirement, but a requirement that follows from email address syntax.

Ah, okay, thanks!

-Tom

Re: RHS item separators in alias and virtual lists: comma or space okay?

Tom Browder
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 6:33 PM, Viktor Dukhovni
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 09:10:26PM +0000, Tom Browder wrote:
>> > Tom Browder:
>> > Is
>> I mean the RHS of aliases, e.g., as in simple mailing lists in the alias
>> needles:
>>   [hidden email]
>>   [hidden email]

> Use commas, that's the separator in lists of email addresses in
> RFC2822 headers, and is also used by the Postfix *SQL and LDAP
> drivers to translate multiple results into a list of addresses.
>
> You can add spaces after commas for readability, you can also
> fold lines, which makes "diffs" easier to read.
>
>     aliases:
>         users: moe, larry, curly
>
>     virtual:
>         [hidden email]