Re: Do you know an FOSS email system for kids?

Re: Do you know an FOSS email system for kids?

Dedeco Balaco Baco

>>> I have a system I wrote for my kids and nephews/nieces.  It
>>> builds on top of mimedefang with mysql backend.  I cannot share
>>> the UI for the database manipulations but can give you the
>>> database layout and example queries. It used a CMS on Apache that
>>> did the ability to whitelist/blacklist, etc.
>>>
>>> I can package up the snippets under GPLv2 and some documentation
>>>  if that's a solution you are interested in pursuing.  If you
>>> are interested in publishing it further, even if 3 people ever
>>> use it, I'll be more helpful as I like to surface code I've
>>> written for public benefit.
>>>
>> Please do it, KAM! I would like to see the details of your solution
>> in practical ways, both for users and for its administrators. And
>> if I make any changes to it, I will make them public somehow, of
>> course.
>>
>> A detail that does not matter much to me: do you have a reason to
>> choose GPLv2 instead of GPLv3? I have read two section in the
>> article about GPL in Wikipedia:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPLv2#Version_2 and
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPLv3#Version_3 .
>
> I picked GPLv2 based on the licensing for MIMEDefang to keep the
> original author's wishes specifically v2 or later.
>
> The code is stable and has some nice tricks for SQL from MIMEDefang.
>
> It's a good starting point but I wouldn't oversell it.  I
> specifically cannot include the UI but have included example queries
>  for the quick introduction of a UI and the hooks for the report to
> include links to a website for the one click blacklist/whitelist for
>  parents.

Kam, I am still a bit puzzled with what I should do. I have seen the README file inside your attachment, and it mentions Sendmail several times. But it does not mention Postfix. Is it possible to install Mimedefang and BeggarMail with Postfix? I have read that Postfix aims to be an alternative to Sendmail. But for me, that never installed either, it is a doubt if this is possible. And if it isn't, the discussion may become offtopic to this list.

I have also downloaded Mimedefang and read some of its documentation. It seems very flexible with its install and work directories - which is something I will surely use. Before I play with Mimedefang, should I set up a working mail server with Postfix? Or with Sendmail? Please tell, if you know.

You mentioned that you cannot give the source for the interface you use. May I ask: what is the reason for that? No problem, an interface is something that should not be too hard for me. But how exactly you do it?

Regards (:

Re: Do you know an FOSS email system for kids?

Kevin A. McGrail
On 4/30/2017 12:48 PM, Dedeco Balaco Baco wrote:
> Kam, I am still a bit puzzled with what I should do. I have seen the
> README file inside your attachment, and it mentions Sendmail several
> times. But it does not mention Postfix. Is it possible to install
> Mimedefang and BeggarMail with Postfix? I have read that Postfix aims
> to be an alternative to Sendmail. But for me, that never installed
> either, it is a doubt if this is possible. And if it isn't, the
> discussion may become offtopic to this list.
Postfix supports the milter specification and can be used with
MIMEDefang.  Apologies if the README is confusing.  Treat then as
interchangeable.

> I have also downloaded Mimedefang and read some of its documentation. It seems very flexible with its install and work directories - which is something I will surely use. Before I play with Mimedefang, should I set up a working mail server with Postfix? Or with Sendmail? Please tell, if you know.
You can use either.  The milter specification was invented by sendmail
so likely I slip into saying sendmail.  But I've used sendmail and
postfix without technical concern.  Typically it becomes a question of
licensing.

> You mentioned that you cannot give the source for the interface you use. May I ask: what is the reason for that? No problem, an interface is something that should not be too hard for me. But how exactly you do it?
It has commercial code and graphics we didn't license for distribution.
Plus I didn't feel it appropriate to bring up licensing on the postfix
list.  And as you said, I didn't feel a UI was a big deal to implement.

Regards,
KAM

Re: Do you know an FOSS email system for kids?

Dedeco Balaco Baco
>> Kam, I am still a bit puzzled with what I should do. I have seen
>> the README file inside your attachment, and it mentions Sendmail
>> several times. But it does not mention Postfix. Is it possible to
>> install Mimedefang and BeggarMail with Postfix? I have read that
>> Postfix aims to be an alternative to Sendmail. But for me, that
>> never installed either, it is a doubt if this is possible. And if
>> it isn't, the discussion may become offtopic to this list.
>
> Postfix supports the milter specification and can be used with
> MIMEDefang.  Apologies if the README is confusing.  Treat then as
> interchangeable.

It was not confusing. My doubts are mostly because of my little familiarity with everything around here. Good that Postfix supports it.

>> I have also downloaded Mimedefang and read some of its
>> documentation. It seems very flexible with its install and work
>> directories - which is something I will surely use. Before I play
>> with Mimedefang, should I set up a working mail server with
>> Postfix? Or with Sendmail? Please tell, if you know.
>
> You can use either.  The milter specification was invented by
> sendmail so likely I slip into saying sendmail.  But I've used
> sendmail and postfix without technical concern.  Typically it becomes
> a question of licensing.

Good.

>> You mentioned that you cannot give the source for the interface you
>> use. May I ask: what is the reason for that? No problem, an
>> interface is something that should not be too hard for me. But how
>> exactly you do it?
>
> It has commercial code and graphics we didn't license for
> distribution. Plus I didn't feel it appropriate to bring up licensing
> on the postfix list.  And as you said, I didn't feel a UI was a big
> deal to implement.

But what did you use to make this interface? Before reading some documentation about Beggarmail and Mimedefang, I thought about using PHP. Now I am not sure that would be a practical solution.

On 4/30/2017 2:12 PM, Dedeco Balaco Baco wrote:
> But what did you use to make this interface? Before reading some documentation about Beggarmail and Mimedefang, I thought about using PHP. Now I am not sure that would be a practical solution.

PHP would be a straightforward way to go.  Any language / framework that
allows you to build input forms and toggles and store them in a
database. I've used numerous solutions.

Off the cuff, I'd likely look at http://www.codeigniter.com/

Regards,
KAM