Re: FYI: Logging mail on Postfix 3.4 and Mojave (OSX 10.11)

Re: FYI: Logging mail on Postfix 3.4 and Mojave (OSX 10.11)

Bill Cole-3
On 30 Nov 2018, at 10:24, rachalmers wrote:

> This streams in real time, and works ok:
> log stream --predicate '(process == "smtpd") || (process == "smtp")' --info
>
> gratefully accepted from the Apple user community.

If you want ALL Postfix messages, this would do it:

log stream  --info --predicate 'senderImagePath CONTAINS "postfix"'

Re: FYI: Logging mail on Postfix 3.4 and Mojave (OSX 10.11)

rachalmers
So this works thanks Bill.
I think. I’m struggling now to find out why since upgrading that any mail into here for any address on Robert-chalmers.uk is being refused with a server configuration error. Almost nothing has changed? Certainly in the cf files.
I notice master is failing occasionally but haven’t tracked down why yet. Seems to be related to incoming mail?!

-----
Robert Chalmers
https://robert-chalmers.uk
[hidden email]
@R_A_Chalmers

On 30 Nov 2018, at 5:53 pm, Bill Cole <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 30 Nov 2018, at 10:24, rachalmers wrote:

This streams in real time, and works ok:
log stream --predicate '(process == "smtpd") || (process == "smtp")' --info

gratefully accepted from the Apple user community.

If you want ALL Postfix messages, this would do it:

log stream  --info --predicate 'senderImagePath CONTAINS "postfix"'

Re: FYI: Logging mail on Postfix 3.4 and Mojave (OSX 10.11)

Wietse Venema
Robert Chalmers:
> So this works thanks Bill.
> I think. I?m struggling now to find out why since upgrading that any mail into here for any address on Robert-chalmers.uk is being refused with a server configuration error. Almost nothing has changed? Certainly in the cf files.
> I notice master is failing occasionally but haven?t tracked down why yet. Seems to be related to incoming mail?!

Usually, the Postfix SMTP server replies with "server configuration
error" after it has logged problem details. If you don't share that
information, then you won't get help.

Re: FYI: Logging mail on Postfix 3.4 and Mojave (OSX 10.11)

rachalmers
Yes well, I’m trying to get to the bottom of this logging business so I can find out what’s going on.
I did see something somewhere about formatting the output as —style mail or something like that. The existing output is very verbose.
As soon as I can trace what’s happening I’ll be able to trace the problem I’m sure.
I’ll share what I can shortly.

__________
Robert Chalmers
https://robert-chalmers.uk
[hidden email]
@R_A_Chalmers

On 1 Dec 2018, at 1:37 pm, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:

Robert Chalmers:
So this works thanks Bill.
I think. I?m struggling now to find out why since upgrading that any mail into here for any address on Robert-chalmers.uk is being refused with a server configuration error. Almost nothing has changed? Certainly in the cf files.
I notice master is failing occasionally but haven?t tracked down why yet. Seems to be related to incoming mail?!

Usually, the Postfix SMTP server replies with "server configuration
error" after it has logged problem details. If you don't share that
information, then you won't get help.

   Wietse