Re: NOTIFY=SUCCESS on lmtp

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Jul 26, 2017, at 8:36 AM, Matus UHLAR - fantomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have read the DSN README, and I'm searching if there's a better
> alternative than disabling DSNs at all.

My advice is to disable DSN at the edge of each administrative
domain.  Remote senders that request SUCCESS notifications from
their sending MTA will be notified of success when your edge
MTA accepts their mail.  What happens after that is your problem
not theirs.

Conversely, when sending mail, I generally also suppress any "DSN"
advertised by other systems, and return SUCCESS to any of my users
once mail becomes the responsibility of the remote domain.

Thus on "inbound" edge servers I have:

        smtpd_discard_ehlo_keywords = dsn,silent-discard

And on "outbound" edge servers I have:

        smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords = dsn,silent-discard

Re: NOTIFY=SUCCESS on lmtp

Matus UHLAR - fantomas

On 26.07.17 10:59, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
>My advice is to disable DSN at the edge of each administrative
>domain.  Remote senders that request SUCCESS notifications from
>their sending MTA will be notified of success when your edge
>MTA accepts their mail.  What happens after that is your problem
>not theirs.

I would prefer to usethis as last resort. some servers only pass mail to
another systems after scanning, and I would prefer to keep the possibility
of sending DSN when mail is considered safe.
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.