Re: Postfix - Timeout While Sending End of Data (slightly OT)

Re: Postfix - Timeout While Sending End of Data (slightly OT)

Barney Desmond
On 15 February 2010 18:41, Stan Hoeppner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I can't get to it without entering a CC and starting a 30 day trial.  The
> "bottom" of the page is white space.  I see no options anywhere on the page to
> get at the info without signing up.  This is kinda by design isn't it?  No pay,
> no play?  It's the whole point of the Experts Exchange website is it not?
>
> Due to your membership and cookies, even if you aren't logged in, you're
> probably still seeing a different page than those without a membership and prior
> cookies already on the the PC accessing the site.  It's a no go.

Apologies for pushing the OT thread.

Experts Exchange is viewable (at least) from google searches. I'm
pretty sure it's a referer-check, used to get plenty of good
google-juice for their content. As a convenient side-effect, you can
always scroll down to the bottom for the answers if you got there via
google search.

Hit the top result from this search, the answers will be visible.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Disable+inspect+esmtp+on+ASA+5505

Re: Postfix - Timeout While Sending End of Data (slightly OT)

Charles Marcus
On 2010-02-15 5:23 AM, Barney Desmond wrote:

> Apologies for pushing the OT thread.
>
> Experts Exchange is viewable (at least) from google searches. I'm
> pretty sure it's a referer-check, used to get plenty of good
> google-juice for their content. As a convenient side-effect, you can
> always scroll down to the bottom for the answers if you got there via
> google search.
>
> Hit the top result from this search, the answers will be visible.
> http://www.google.com/search?q=Disable+inspect+esmtp+on+ASA+5505

Not for me...

Re: Postfix - Timeout While Sending End of Data (slightly OT)

@lbutlr
On 15-Feb-2010, at 03:23, Barney Desmond wrote:
> Experts Exchange is viewable (at least) from google searches.

No it isn't. Experts Exchange is such a complete scam that I have it
blocked in my local /etc/hosts and excluded from google search results.

Re: Postfix - Timeout While Sending End of Data (slightly OT)

Ansgar Wiechers
On 2010-02-16 LuKreme wrote:
> On 15-Feb-2010, at 03:23, Barney Desmond wrote:
>> Experts Exchange is viewable (at least) from google searches.
>
> No it isn't.

Yes it is. It's also viewable if you change your browser's user agent
string to that of a search engine spider. How else do you think these
sites manage to stay on the search engines' radars?

> Experts Exchange is such a complete scam that I have it  blocked in my
> local /etc/hosts and excluded from google search results.

Well, that's certainly up to you (personally I don't like them either,
and I don't think the quality of their solutions is too hot in the first
place). However, that doesn't change anything about the fact that there
are ways to view Experts Exchange pages without having to log in.

Can we now drop this boring and entirely off-topic subject? Thanks.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky

On 16-Feb-2010, at 12:11, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
> On 2010-02-16 LuKreme wrote:
>> On 15-Feb-2010, at 03:23, Barney Desmond wrote:
>>> Experts Exchange is viewable (at least) from google searches.
>>
>> No it isn't.
>
> Yes it is.

The link you posted had no visible answer. It had a banner about
signing up and that was all (I checked from my laptop which has no /
etc/hosts/ and is not signed in to Google.

On 2010-02-16 LuKreme wrote:

> On 16-Feb-2010, at 12:11, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
>>>
>>> No it isn't.
>>
>> Yes it is.
>
> The link you posted had no visible answer. It had a banner about
> signing up and that was all (I checked from my laptop which has no
> /etc/hosts/ and is not signed in to Google.

I wasn't the one posting the link, but I checked it when DJ Lucas posted
it and checked it again just now, and it does havve a visible answer (at
the bottom of the page).

I'm using SeaMonkey and changed my browser's user agent string as
described before. I also tried the Google search approach and it yielded
the exact same results.

Can we now *please* stop discussing this silly topic? Or at least take
it off list? Thank you.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--Joel Spolsky

Re: Postfix - Timeout While Sending End of Data (slightly OT)

Sahil Tandon
On Tue, 16 Feb 2010, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:

> On 2010-02-16 LuKreme wrote:

> >> Yes it is.
> >
> > The link you posted had no visible answer. It had a banner about
> > signing up and that was all (I checked from my laptop which has no
> > /etc/hosts/ and is not signed in to Google.
>
> I wasn't the one posting the link, but I checked it when DJ Lucas posted
> it and checked it again just now, and it does havve a visible answer (at
> the bottom of the page).
>
> I'm using SeaMonkey and changed my browser's user agent string as
> described before. I also tried the Google search approach and it yielded
> the exact same results.
>
> Can we now *please* stop discussing this silly topic? Or at least take
> it off list? Thank you.

Yes, but for posterity and archives, Ansgar is correct and LuKreme is
wrong.  I just verified using SeaMonkey here.

Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>

On 2010-02-16 7:30 PM, Sahil Tandon wrote:
>> I wasn't the one posting the link, but I checked it when DJ Lucas posted
>> it and checked it again just now, and it does have a visible answer (at
>> the bottom of the page).

> Yes, but for posterity and archives, Ansgar is correct and LuKreme is
> wrong.  I just verified using SeaMonkey here.

While we're talking posterity... I don't see it (the answer)... but I
didn't bother to change my user agent string either, so I guess that's
the key - but the simple fact is, normal people won't bother taking the
time to do that...