Re: about postfix reload

Aly Khimji
Usually a reload is sufficient.

Aly

------Original Message------
From: Li, Jilong (MU-Student)
Sender: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: about postfix reload
Sent: Jun 21, 2011 12:48 PM

 Hello,

After changing the file "main.cf", do I need to run "postfix reload" ? Or should I run "/etc/rc.d/init.d/postfix restart" ?

Thank you very much!

Re: about postfix reload

Benny Pedersen
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:54:22 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> Usually a reload is sufficient.

to be more clear:

if changes are done in main.cf then postfix reload
if changes in master.cf then stop postfix, and start postfix

Re: about postfix reload

Victor Duchovni
On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 06:50:32PM +0200, Benny Pedersen wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:54:22 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
>> Usually a reload is sufficient.
>
> to be more clear:
>
> if changes are done in main.cf then postfix reload
> if changes in master.cf then stop postfix, and start postfix

Actually, for most master.cf changes a reload is sufficient, IIRC a
stop/start is only needed when inet_interfaces changes resulting in a
different list of listen addresses for "inet" services that specify only
a port.

Re: about postfix reload

Benny Pedersen:
> On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 16:54:22 +0000, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Usually a reload is sufficient.
>
> to be more clear:
>
> if changes are done in main.cf then postfix reload
> if changes in master.cf then stop postfix, and start postfix

No, you can change master.cf without having to stop Postfix.

There a few main.cf parameters (such as inet_interfaces)
that require a master daemon restart. This is usually
documented (or reported in the maillog file).

        Wietse