Re queue failed email from deferred mail

Re queue failed email from deferred mail

Vernon Fort
I had an internal server problem which ended up with 1000 or so messages
sitting in the mail queue with a HOP-COUNT exceeded.  These are good
emails so i need to find a way to remove most of the Received lines in
the message header and re-queue (re-send) the email.  I'm thinking of
using postcat queueid to a temporary file - striping the Received lines
as i write out the file.  Then just resend the message.  Are there any
gotchas with this approach?

Thanks

Vernon

Re: Re queue failed email from deferred mail

Noel Jones-2
On 9/15/2009 8:02 AM, Vernon A. Fort wrote:

> I had an internal server problem which ended up with 1000 or so messages
> sitting in the mail queue with a HOP-COUNT exceeded. These are good
> emails so i need to find a way to remove most of the Received lines in
> the message header and re-queue (re-send) the email. I'm thinking of
> using postcat queueid to a temporary file - striping the Received lines
> as i write out the file. Then just resend the message. Are there any
> gotchas with this approach?
>
> Thanks
>
> Vernon

This sounds like a bad idea...  It's probably better to just
let them bounce back to the sender.

First you must find out why these have hop-count exceeded and
fix the problem.  Otherwise you'll just end up in the same
place again.

General procedure:
postcat -q QUEUEID > /tmp/file

Find the envelope sender and recipient(s) stored in the queued
file.  Don't use the From: or To: headers.

Strip the postfix envelope records from the tmp file.

Resubmit with
sendmail -i -f sender -- recip1 recip2 recip3 ... < /tmp/file

It's very important to use the envelop sender and
recipient(s), not the addresses listed in the From: or To: or
other headers.  The envelop sender and recipient(s) are listed
in the *** ENVELOPE RECORDS *** section of the queue file.

Postfix 2.7 and later has new options for the postcat command
that would make this a little easier.
http://www.postfix.org/postcat.1.html

Noel Jones wrote:

> On 9/15/2009 8:02 AM, Vernon A. Fort wrote:
>> I had an internal server problem which ended up with 1000 or so messages
>> sitting in the mail queue with a HOP-COUNT exceeded. These are good
>> emails so i need to find a way to remove most of the Received lines in
>> the message header and re-queue (re-send) the email. I'm thinking of
>> using postcat queueid to a temporary file - striping the Received lines
>> as i write out the file. Then just resend the message. Are there any
>> gotchas with this approach?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Vernon
>

> This sounds like a bad idea...  It's probably better to just let them
> bounce back to the sender.
>
> First you must find out why these have hop-count exceeded and fix the
> problem.  Otherwise you'll just end up in the same place again.
>
> General procedure:
> postcat -q QUEUEID > /tmp/file
>
> Find the envelope sender and recipient(s) stored in the queued file.
> Don't use the From: or To: headers.
>
> Strip the postfix envelope records from the tmp file.
>
> Resubmit with
> sendmail -i -f sender -- recip1 recip2 recip3 ... < /tmp/file
>
> It's very important to use the envelop sender and recipient(s), not
> the addresses listed in the From: or To: or other headers.  The
> envelop sender and recipient(s) are listed in the *** ENVELOPE RECORDS
> *** section of the queue file.
>
> Postfix 2.7 and later has new options for the postcat command that
> would make this a little easier.
> http://www.postfix.org/postcat.1.html
>
>   -- Noel Jones
The mail loop/hop problem WAS/IS fix.  Alot of these messages are
notifications which are time consuming to get reproduced.  I would
prefer to strip the needed stuff from the header and re-send/queue.

THANKS for the examples with the envelope - i was planning on using the
to/from from the header.  The envelope makes perfect since!

Vernon