Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Asif Iqbal-9
Failing to receive mail in [hidden email]

Feb 23 18:40:02 mail postfix/smtpd[16962]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from remote.example.net[192.168.18.193]: 550 5.1.1 <[hidden email]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table; from=<[hidden email]> to=<[hidden email]> proto=ESMTP helo=<remote.example.net>

I am using postfix 2.6.6 on CentOS 6.7. My recipient_delimiter is `+'

I just migrated from qmail to postfix.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Re: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Feb 23, 2017, at 6:49 PM, Asif Iqbal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Failing to receive mail in [hidden email]

This looks like email to the user "iqbala" with an extension of
"sysadmin" using qmail's "-" as a delimiter.

> Feb 23 18:40:02 mail postfix/smtpd[16962]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from remote.example.net[192.168.18.193]: 550 5.1.1 <[hidden email]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table; from=<[hidden email]> to=<[hidden email]> proto=ESMTP helo=<remote.example.net>
>
> I am using postfix 2.6.6 on CentOS 6.7. My recipient_delimiter is `+'
>
> I just migrated from qmail to postfix.
>
> Any suggestion is appreciated.

If you've migrated from qmail, you should probably keep "-" as your
recipient delimiter to maintain as much backwards-compatible behaviour
as possible.

Otherwise you'll need an explicit alias for each actively used "-"
address extension.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 6:54 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you've migrated from qmail, you should probably keep "-" as your
recipient delimiter to maintain as much backwards-compatible behaviour
as possible.

Otherwise you'll need an explicit alias for each actively used "-"
address extension.

I eventually want to change the default `+' to `-'. But I will need to find out if there is any dependency
on postfix side that might break? I am using mailman which has `-' in the list name.

In the meantime, If I understand you correctly, just use an alias entry like below as a quick workaround?

 iqbala-sysadmin: iqbala

I do not have too many of those, so that would work now without breaking anything.

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?