Recipient address rejected(Very Strange)

Recipient address rejected(Very Strange)

Bijayant
Hello to list,

I am facing a very unique and strange problem with my POstfix virtual Mail Server. Sometimes i am getting the error "Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table", while the emailid exists( and is valid). This is happening to any email-id present in the system. During that period of time some mail is accepted by the Postfix for the same emailid, but some are being rejected with error

550 <[hidden email]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table (in reply to RCPT TO command))

Postfix is using hashfiles for lookup. I have CentOS-5 and postfix-2.2.10

Any idea why it is happening with randomly valid emailids.

Bijayant Kumar

Re: Recipient address rejected(Very Strange)

Wietse Venema
bijayant kumar:

> Hello to list,
>
> I am facing a very unique and strange problem with my POstfix virtual Mail
>- Server. Sometimes i am getting the error "Recipient address rejected: User
>-unknown in virtual mailbox table", while the emailid exists( and is valid).
>-This is happening to any email-id present in the system. During that period
>-of time some mail is accepted by the Postfix for the same emailid, but some
>-are being rejected with error
>
> 550 <[hidden email]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table (in reply to RCPT TO command))
>
> Postfix is using hashfiles for lookup. I have CentOS-5 and postfix-2.2.10
>
> Any idea why it is happening with randomly valid emailids.

See the mailing list welcome message, repeated below.

- Post output from the command:
    postconf -n

- Test the virtual mailbox table with the command:
    postmap -q emailaddress hash:/file/name

- Look in the mail logfile for warnings:
    http://www/postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#logging

Thank you for using Postfix.