Recommendations for antivirus

Mailinglist-24
I'm running a server on average week we receive 14,000, send 19,000, and in total deferred/bounced/rejected 5,000 -- Can you guys recommend a good antivirus that will work well with postfix. Meaning efficient in processing emails without dropping them into oblivion or kill the server CPU and/or Memory? Any suggestions will be fantastic!

Regards,
Alvin

RE: Recommendations for antivirus

Terry Gilsenan

I recommend Amavisd-new and clam.

===[Disclaimer]===
This electronic transmission, including any attachments, is confidential, may contain privileged information and should be read or retained only by the intended recipient. If you received this message in error, please delete it from your system and notify the sender immediately. Any review, dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.
===[End]===

Re: Recommendations for antivirus

Erwan David
Le 16/01/2013 23:17, Terry Gilsenan a écrit :

> [...]
You may also use clamav as a milter.

Re: Recommendations for antivirus

Ned Slider
On 16/01/13 22:20, Erwan David wrote:

> Le 16/01/2013 23:17, Terry Gilsenan a écrit :

Another recommendation for ClamAV.

As ClamAV is used predominantly in mail setups, their signature database
seems to do fairly well against email-borne threats. Further, it's easy
to create and add your own signatures allowing you to respond
immediately to an outbreak rather than waiting for signatures to get
added to official updates.

Re: Recommendations for antivirus

Jamie Griffin
* Ned Slider <[hidden email]> [2013-01-17 04:25:04 +0000]:

 clamav with Sanesecurity signatures - search google for them. easy to install.

Primary Key: 4096R/1D31DC38 2011-12-03
Key Fingerprint: A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D  B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38

Re: Recommendations for antivirus

Frank Bonnet
On 01/17/2013 09:25 AM, Jamie Griffin wrote:

> * Ned Slider <[hidden email]> [2013-01-17 04:25:04 +0000]:

I use a paid antivirus that runs very well with postfix : VAMS from
www.centralcommand.com
It also have an antispam feature but I do not use it.

Re: Recommendations for antivirus

Robert Schetterer-2
Am 16.01.2013 22:55, schrieb TFML:
> I'm running a server on average week we receive 14,000, send 19,000, and in total deferred/bounced/rejected 5,000 -- Can you guys recommend a good antivirus that will work well with postfix. Meaning efficient in processing emails without dropping them into oblivion or kill the server CPU and/or Memory? Any suggestions will be fantastic!
>
> Regards,
> Alvin

clamav-milter/clamd works well here, should work without problems with
your small average of mail

Best Regards
MfG Robert Schetterer

--
[*] sys4 AG

http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

Re: Recommendations for antivirus

DTNX Postmaster
On Jan 17, 2013, at 09:25, Jamie Griffin wrote:

> * Ned Slider <[hidden email]> [2013-01-17 04:25:04 +0000]:

We use ClamAV here as well with clamav-milter, although we found the
Sanesecurity signatures to be too strict to use for straight rejection.
YMMV, of course, be sure to at least test :-)

Cya,
Jona

Re: Recommendations for antivirus

Mailinglist-24
Thanks, I'm in the process of testing those suggested applications!

On Jan 17, 2013, at 7:07 AM, DTNX Postmaster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 17, 2013, at 09:25, Jamie Griffin wrote:
>
>> * Ned Slider <[hidden email]> [2013-01-17 04:25:04 +0000]:

Jeroen Geilman
On 01/16/2013 10:55 PM, TFML wrote:
> I'm running a server on average week we receive 14,000, send 19,000, and in total deferred/bounced/rejected 5,000

Are you certain of those numbers ?

For any publically-reachable MX host, the amount of spam rejected is AT
LEAST 10 times the amount of desirable mail accepted.

Over 90% of all mail is spam, sadly; this is near-universal.

Of course, you might be deploying a non-postfix solution as MX frontend,
like Barracuda, but for an exposed MX host, 14:5 Ham/Spam is an entirely
unbelievable ratio.

--
J.