Recommendations on an spf record?

Tom Browder
I'm reading about some conflicting opinions of the spf record (via a
TXT record) and wonder if there is a consensus view among the postfix
developers.

Thanks.

-Tom

Re: Recommendations on an spf record?

Alef Veld
What's the conflicting opinion ?

Sent from my iPhone

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Alef Veld <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's the conflicting opinion ?

Looking at a Wikipedia article:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework

But i guess spf is here to stay.

Thanks.

-Tom

Re: Recommendations on an spf record?

Phil Stracchino
On 08/18/17 11:33, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Alef Veld <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> What's the conflicting opinion ?
>
> Looking at a Wikipedia article:
>
>   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework

I fail to see anything in that article that would reach the level of a
"conflicting opinion".  Even Wikipedia's "Controversy" subheading is
stretching the point.  "Limitations" would be closer to the mark.

Is your point that SPF is not a perfect solution?  Because pretty much
everybody who uses it knows that and always has.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: +1.603.293.8485
  Mobile:   +1.603.998.6958

RE: Recommendations on an spf record?

Fazzina, Angelo
I was unaware of the controversy. I can tell you that for the specific example given :

(For example, a person who uses their home ISP's SMTP servers to send mail with their work email as the address.)

I was for years tagging and delivering on SPF failures with my appliances. Just recently I added filtering with a cloud appliance before my physical appliances and that only allows blocking on failures. So now I live with it.

I thought you had a problem you were trying to solve?
I learned about the limit of lookups being 10 and had to fix my TXT record and how some/all appliances can't deal with multiple TXT records for SPF, so I need one in DNS with multiple includes....

Anyway, good luck in finding the sweet spot.
-ALF

-Angelo Fazzina
Operating Systems Programmer / Analyst
University of Connecticut,  UITS, SSG, Server Systems
860-486-9075

On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Alef Veld <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What's the conflicting opinion ?

Looking at a Wikipedia article:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sender_Policy_Framework

But i guess spf is here to stay.

Thanks.

-Tom

Re: Recommendations on an spf record?

Byung-Hee HWANG (황병희, 黃炳熙)
In Article <CAFMGiz-JaC8icPXx53Yk6LY2EVVDtDSWrL_-KT306yyYx=[hidden email]>,
 Tom Browder <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm reading about some conflicting opinions of the spf record (via a

Seriously, i don't like SPF, sorry...

Sincerely, Byung-Hee.

--
^고맙습니다 _救濟蒼生_ 감사합니다_^))//