Redelivery Settings per Domain?

Drew Mazurek-2
Is it possible to configure different deferred mail delivery settings based on the domain the message is going to?  In our case, for generic messages being relayed out to the world, the defaults are fine.  However, for messages being relayed to our internal application, we require a minimal delay between failed message delivery attempts.  (On the order of 15 seconds.)  I found the tuning configuration options on this page: http://www.postfix.org/TUNING_README.html#hammer, but it looks like those settings are global.  Can they be set per domain or would I need to set up a second Postfix instance?

Thanks,
Drew

Re: Redelivery Settings per Domain?

Wietse Venema
Drew Mazurek:
> Is it possible to configure different deferred mail delivery settings based
> on the domain the message is going to?

No. One message can have more than one recipient, and the Postfix
scheduler does not know the destinations of a message until it reads
the file and resolves the destination. Postfix would waste a huge
amount of work to find out if a message should be delivered or not.

> However, for messages being relayed to our internal application,
> we require a minimal delay between failed message delivery attempts.
> (On the order of 15 seconds.)

If your requirements for different mail streams are so different,
consider using separate MTAs for the inbound and outbound mail
streams.  This not a lame suggestion: there are lots of sites that
separate their mail streams. It simplifies configuration, queue
management, filtering policies, digital signing and signature
verification, and so on.

        Wietse