Relay Error?

kbajwa
CentOS 5.2
Postfix 2.3.3 (comes packaged with OS)
Dovecot 1.1.1

Did a fresh install and created a new web site: http://www.imwell-usa.com.
The web site has an email address for 'Contact Us'. When I try to send an
email from the web page (from Win XP PC), I get the following error:
--------
An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1
[hidden email]: Relay excess denied. Please check the messge
recipient and try again.
--------

I have read both Postfix & Dovecot documentation and have followed their
installation instructions. I believe that my setting for the 'relayhost' are
not correct, however, since I am pretty new, I do not want to make a change
the recommended settings and end up with open relay.

You can try sending an email from: http://www.imwell-usa.com/contact_us.html
page and see the error.

Please let me know what change I need & then I can study the setting on my
own. Below are settings for 'postfix' & 'dovecot':

Thanks,

Kirti

[root@www ~]# postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
home_mailbox = Maildir/
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
mail_owner = postfix
mailbox_command = /usr/libexec/dovecot/deliver
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
mydomain = imwell-usa.com
myhostname = mail.imwell-usa.com
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
myorigin = $mydomain
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
relay_domains =
relayhost =
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated,
reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
[root@www ~]#
[root@www ~]#
[root@www ~]# dovecot -n
# 1.1.1: /etc/dovecot.conf
listen: [*]
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
imap_client_workarounds(default): delay-newmail outlook-ide netscape-eoh
imap_client_workarounds(imap): delay-newmail outlook-ide netscape-eoh
imap_client_workarounds(pop3):
pop3_client_workarounds(default):
pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
auth default:
  mechanisms: plain login
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd
  socket:
    type: listen
    client:
      path: /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
      mode: 432
      user: postfix
      group: postfix
[root@www ~]#

Re: Relay Error?

Brian Evans - Postfix List
kbajwa wrote:

> CentOS 5.2
> Postfix 2.3.3 (comes packaged with OS)
> Dovecot 1.1.1
>
> Did a fresh install and created a new web site: http://www.imwell-usa.com.
> The web site has an email address for 'Contact Us'. When I try to send an
> email from the web page (from Win XP PC), I get the following error:
> --------
> An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1
> [hidden email]: Relay excess denied. Please check the messge
> recipient and try again.
> --------

The page you mentioned uses a simple mailto: link.  This calls the Mail
Client of the machine.
This simply means your client may be misconfigured.

I've sent a test mail and it was not returned.  Postfix seems to be
running as it's supposed to.

Brian

> [...]
> listen: [*]
> login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
> login_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
> login_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
> mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir
> mail_executable(default): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(imap): /usr/libexec/dovecot/imap
> mail_executable(pop3): /usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3
> mail_plugin_dir(default): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(imap): /usr/lib/dovecot/imap
> mail_plugin_dir(pop3): /usr/lib/dovecot/pop3
> imap_client_workarounds(default): delay-newmail outlook-ide netscape-eoh
> imap_client_workarounds(imap): delay-newmail outlook-ide netscape-eoh
> imap_client_workarounds(pop3):
> pop3_client_workarounds(default):
> pop3_client_workarounds(imap):
> pop3_client_workarounds(pop3): outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh

Re: Relay Error?

kbajwa wrote:
> CentOS 5.2
> Postfix 2.3.3 (comes packaged with OS)
> Dovecot 1.1.1
>
> Did a fresh install and created a new web site: http://www.imwell-usa.com.
> The web site has an email address for 'Contact Us'. When I try to send an
> email from the web page (from Win XP PC), I get the following error:

what you see on your mail client does not matter. the real truth is in
postfix logs.

(my Thunderbird sometimes tells me ".... is not an IMAP server". duh...
next time I promiss it: I'll take a screenshot!).

> --------
> An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.7.1
> [hidden email]: Relay excess denied. Please check the messge
> recipient and try again.
> --------

something is insulting you (it talks about mess and excess :).

you need to configure your MUA to connect to your postfix, and you need
to make sure it really does (traffic isn't diverted by some
firewall/router/proxy/AV/...). the logs are the right place to look for
evidence.

> [snip]

RE: Relay Error?

kbajwa
Mouss:

I deleted /var/log/maillog file, rebooted the system and tried to send the
email from (using Win XP PC) the web site. Same error message.

I checked the log file "/va/log/maillog", no error message logged (see
below). I assume this the log file where Postfix logs messages.

Then I check any new email for account [hidden email]. I received
confirmation that there was no message for this account on the server. I
normally use MS Outlook to check messages but for this test I used
Thunderbird.

In the logs, it does show that there is an inquiry to check new messages for
the above email account.

Any other suggestions are highly appreciated!

Kirti

Jul 24 15:03:51 www dovecot: Dovecot v1.1.1 starting up
Jul 24 15:03:53 www postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
Jul 24 15:03:53 www postfix/master[4792]: daemon started -- version 2.3.3,
configuration /etc/postfix

Jul 24 15:07:37 www dovecot: pop3-login: Login: user=<contactus>,
method=PLAIN, rip=192.168.0.64, lip=65.103.190.105, TLS
Jul 24 15:07:37 www dovecot: POP3(contactus): Disconnected: Logged out
top=0/0, retr=0/0, del=0/0, size=0

Re: Relay Error?

Sahil Tandon
kbajwa <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

> I deleted /var/log/maillog file, rebooted the system and tried to send the
> email from (using Win XP PC) the web site. Same error message.

What SMTP server are you using on the client?  As Brian already told you,
that is probably the source of your error.  I just sent an email to the
address [hidden email] with no problem; do you see it in your mail
client?

> I checked the log file "/va/log/maillog", no error message logged (see
> below). I assume this the log file where Postfix logs messages.

Maybe because the message never made it past your client's SMTP server.

> Then I check any new email for account [hidden email]. I received
> confirmation that there was no message for this account on the server. I
> normally use MS Outlook to check messages but for this test I used
> Thunderbird.
>
> In the logs, it does show that there is an inquiry to check new messages for
> the above email account.

This has nothing to do with Postfix; your IMAP server is logging this message.

[...]

Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>

RE: Relay Error? - Problem Solved!!!!!

kbajwa
Hi Everybody:

First thanks to everybody who responded.

I am posting this message to future readers will benefits from it.    The
problem is with AVG anti-virus application. It seems that AVG allows
out-going email messages from MS Outlook but not from Thunderbird.

Once I removed AVG, everything works.

Kirti