Relay access denied

bronto
I have a new postfix installation on a new installation of Ubuntu 8.04.

I have it set up and receiving email.  Up until now I've been using
webmail, but now that it's "live" I want to use Thunderbird.  The
server in question lives at my office, and I am testing this from home.

Sending and receiving any email internal or external works via webmail
Sending and receiving internal email works using tbird
sending external email (i.e., yahoo.com) does not work.  "Relay Access
Denied".

What am I missing?  Here's my main.cf:

# See /usr/share/postfix/main.cf.dist for a commented, more complete version

# Debian specific:  Specifying a file name will cause the first
# line of that file to be used as the name.  The Debian default
# is /etc/mailname.
#myorigin = /etc/mailname

smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
biff = no

# appending .domain is the MUA's job.
append_dot_mydomain = no

# Uncomment the next line to generate "delayed mail" warnings
#delay_warning_time = 4h

readme_directory = no

# TLS parameters
smtpd_tls_cert_file=/etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
smtpd_tls_key_file=/etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
smtpd_use_tls=yes

# See /usr/share/doc/postfix/TLS_README.gz in the postfix-doc package for
# information on enabling SSL in the smtp client.

myhostname = sub.csd-bes.net
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
myorigin = /etc/mailname
mydestination = sub.csd-bes.net, localhost.csd-bes.net,localhost
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +
virtual_alias_maps =
hash:/etc/postfix/virtual,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
home_mailbox = Maildir/
debug_peer_list = sub.csd-bes.net

unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

Thanks

Rob

Re: Relay access denied

Scott Kitterman-4
On Saturday 21 June 2008 19:57, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have a new postfix installation on a new installation of Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> I have it set up and receiving email.  Up until now I've been using
> webmail, but now that it's "live" I want to use Thunderbird.  The
> server in question lives at my office, and I am testing this from home.
>
> Sending and receiving any email internal or external works via webmail
> Sending and receiving internal email works using tbird
> sending external email (i.e., yahoo.com) does not work.  "Relay Access
> Denied".
>
> What am I missing?  Here's my main.cf:

You need to add SMTP Authentication.  See the Ubuntu Server Guide for setup
information:

http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/postfix.html

Scott K

Re: Relay access denied

[hidden email] wrote:

> I have a new postfix installation on a new installation of Ubuntu 8.04.
>
> I have it set up and receiving email.  Up until now I've been using
> webmail, but now that it's "live" I want to use Thunderbird.  The
> server in question lives at my office, and I am testing this from home.
>
> Sending and receiving any email internal or external works via webmail
> Sending and receiving internal email works using tbird
> sending external email (i.e., yahoo.com) does not work.  "Relay Access
> Denied".
>
> What am I missing?

to send mail to external domains from external clients (this is
"relay"), you need some form of authentication. see the SASL README for
how to setup SASL. without authentication, this would be "open relay"
which is no more acceptable (since many years).

if you can't send mail to your domain, then you did not configure
postfix to handle that domain.

>   Here's my main.cf:

don't send main.cf. send output of 'postconf 'n. also send full relevant
log lines.

Re: Relay access denied

bronto
Quoting Scott Kitterman <[hidden email]>:

> On Saturday 21 June 2008 19:57, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I have a new postfix installation on a new installation of Ubuntu 8.04.
>>
>> I have it set up and receiving email.  Up until now I've been using
>> webmail, but now that it's "live" I want to use Thunderbird.  The
>> server in question lives at my office, and I am testing this from home.
>>
>> Sending and receiving any email internal or external works via webmail
>> Sending and receiving internal email works using tbird
>> sending external email (i.e., yahoo.com) does not work.  "Relay Access
>> Denied".
>>
>> What am I missing?  Here's my main.cf:
>
> You need to add SMTP Authentication.  See the Ubuntu Server Guide for setup
> information:
>
> http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/postfix.html
>
> Scott K

I went through these step by step and it still doesn't work.  Here's postconf:

2bounce_notice_recipient = postmaster
access_map_reject_code = 554
address_verify_default_transport = $default_transport
address_verify_local_transport = $local_transport
address_verify_map =
address_verify_negative_cache = yes
address_verify_negative_expire_time = 3d
address_verify_negative_refresh_time = 3h
address_verify_poll_count = 3
address_verify_poll_delay = 3s
address_verify_positive_expire_time = 31d
address_verify_positive_refresh_time = 7d
address_verify_relay_transport = $relay_transport
address_verify_relayhost = $relayhost
address_verify_sender = $double_bounce_sender
address_verify_sender_dependent_relayhost_maps =
$sender_dependent_relayhost_maps
address_verify_service_name = verify
address_verify_transport_maps = $transport_maps
address_verify_virtual_transport = $virtual_transport
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
allow_mail_to_commands = alias, forward
allow_mail_to_files = alias, forward
allow_min_user = no
allow_percent_hack = yes
allow_untrusted_routing = no
alternate_config_directories =
always_bcc =
anvil_rate_time_unit = 60s
anvil_status_update_time = 600s
append_at_myorigin = yes
append_dot_mydomain = no
application_event_drain_time = 100s
authorized_flush_users = static:anyone
authorized_mailq_users = static:anyone
authorized_submit_users = static:anyone
backwards_bounce_logfile_compatibility = yes
berkeley_db_create_buffer_size = 16777216
berkeley_db_read_buffer_size = 131072
best_mx_transport =
biff = no
body_checks =
body_checks_size_limit = 51200
bounce_notice_recipient = postmaster
bounce_queue_lifetime = 5d
bounce_service_name = bounce
bounce_size_limit = 50000
bounce_template_file =
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
canonical_classes = envelope_sender, envelope_recipient,
header_sender, header_recipient
canonical_maps =
cleanup_service_name = cleanup
command_directory = /usr/sbin
command_execution_directory =
command_expansion_filter =
1234567890!@%-_=+:,./abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
command_time_limit = 1000s
config_directory = /etc/postfix
connection_cache_protocol_timeout = 5s
connection_cache_service_name = scache
connection_cache_status_update_time = 600s
connection_cache_ttl_limit = 2s
cyrus_sasl_config_path =
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
daemon_timeout = 18000s
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
debug_peer_list = amd64.csd-bes.net
default_database_type = hash
default_delivery_slot_cost = 5
default_delivery_slot_discount = 50
default_delivery_slot_loan = 3
default_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit = 1
default_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback = 1
default_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback = 1
default_destination_rate_delay = 0s
default_destination_recipient_limit = 50
default_extra_recipient_limit = 1000
default_minimum_delivery_slots = 3
default_privs = nobody
default_process_limit = 100
default_rbl_reply = $rbl_code Service unavailable; $rbl_class
[$rbl_what] blocked using $rbl_domain${rbl_reason?; $rbl_reason}
default_recipient_limit = 20000
default_recipient_refill_delay = 5s
default_recipient_refill_limit = 100
default_transport = smtp
default_verp_delimiters = +=
defer_code = 450
defer_service_name = defer
defer_transports =
delay_logging_resolution_limit = 2
delay_notice_recipient = postmaster
delay_warning_time = 0h
deliver_lock_attempts = 20
deliver_lock_delay = 1s
destination_concurrency_feedback_debug = no
detect_8bit_encoding_header = yes
disable_dns_lookups = no
disable_mime_input_processing = no
disable_mime_output_conversion = no
disable_verp_bounces = no
disable_vrfy_command = no
dont_remove = 0
double_bounce_sender = double-bounce
duplicate_filter_limit = 1000
empty_address_recipient = MAILER-DAEMON
empty_address_relayhost_maps_lookup_key = <>
enable_original_recipient = yes
error_notice_recipient = postmaster
error_service_name = error
execution_directory_expansion_filter =
1234567890!@%-_=+:,./abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
expand_owner_alias = no
export_environment = TZ MAIL_CONFIG LANG
fallback_transport =
fallback_transport_maps =
fast_flush_domains = $relay_domains
fast_flush_purge_time = 7d
fast_flush_refresh_time = 12h
fault_injection_code = 0
flush_service_name = flush
fork_attempts = 5
fork_delay = 1s
forward_expansion_filter =
1234567890!@%-_=+:,./abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
forward_path = $home/.forward${recipient_delimiter}${extension},
$home/.forward
frozen_delivered_to = yes
hash_queue_depth = 1
hash_queue_names = deferred, defer
header_address_token_limit = 10240
header_checks =
header_size_limit = 102400
helpful_warnings = yes
home_mailbox = Maildir/
hopcount_limit = 50
html_directory = no
ignore_mx_lookup_error = no
import_environment = MAIL_CONFIG MAIL_DEBUG MAIL_LOGTAG TZ XAUTHORITY
DISPLAY LANG=C
in_flow_delay = 1s
inet_interfaces = all
inet_protocols = ipv4
initial_destination_concurrency = 5
internal_mail_filter_classes =
invalid_hostname_reject_code = 501
ipc_idle = 5s
ipc_timeout = 3600s
ipc_ttl = 1000s
line_length_limit = 2048
lmtp_bind_address =
lmtp_bind_address6 =
lmtp_body_checks =
lmtp_cname_overrides_servername = no
lmtp_connect_timeout = 0s
lmtp_connection_cache_destinations =
lmtp_connection_cache_on_demand = yes
lmtp_connection_cache_time_limit = 2s
lmtp_connection_reuse_time_limit = 300s
lmtp_data_done_timeout = 600s
lmtp_data_init_timeout = 120s
lmtp_data_xfer_timeout = 180s
lmtp_defer_if_no_mx_address_found = no
lmtp_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit =
$default_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit
lmtp_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
lmtp_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback =
$default_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback
lmtp_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback =
$default_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback
lmtp_destination_rate_delay = $default_destination_rate_delay
lmtp_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit
lmtp_discard_lhlo_keyword_address_maps =
lmtp_discard_lhlo_keywords =
lmtp_enforce_tls = no
lmtp_generic_maps =
lmtp_header_checks =
lmtp_host_lookup = dns
lmtp_initial_destination_concurrency = $initial_destination_concurrency
lmtp_lhlo_name = $myhostname
lmtp_lhlo_timeout = 300s
lmtp_line_length_limit = 990
lmtp_mail_timeout = 300s
lmtp_mime_header_checks =
lmtp_mx_address_limit = 5
lmtp_mx_session_limit = 2
lmtp_nested_header_checks =
lmtp_pix_workaround_delay_time = 10s
lmtp_pix_workaround_maps =
lmtp_pix_workaround_threshold_time = 500s
lmtp_pix_workarounds = disable_esmtp,delay_dotcrlf
lmtp_quit_timeout = 300s
lmtp_quote_rfc821_envelope = yes
lmtp_randomize_addresses = yes
lmtp_rcpt_timeout = 300s
lmtp_rset_timeout = 20s
lmtp_sasl_auth_cache_name =
lmtp_sasl_auth_cache_time = 90d
lmtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
lmtp_sasl_auth_soft_bounce = yes
lmtp_sasl_mechanism_filter =
lmtp_sasl_password_maps =
lmtp_sasl_path =
lmtp_sasl_security_options = noplaintext, noanonymous
lmtp_sasl_tls_security_options = $lmtp_sasl_security_options
lmtp_sasl_tls_verified_security_options = $lmtp_sasl_tls_security_options
lmtp_sasl_type = cyrus
lmtp_send_xforward_command = no
lmtp_sender_dependent_authentication = no
lmtp_skip_5xx_greeting = yes
lmtp_starttls_timeout = 300s
lmtp_tcp_port = 24
lmtp_tls_CAfile =
lmtp_tls_CApath =
lmtp_tls_cert_file =
lmtp_tls_dcert_file =
lmtp_tls_dkey_file = $lmtp_tls_dcert_file
lmtp_tls_enforce_peername = yes
lmtp_tls_exclude_ciphers =
lmtp_tls_fingerprint_cert_match =
lmtp_tls_fingerprint_digest = md5
lmtp_tls_key_file = $lmtp_tls_cert_file
lmtp_tls_loglevel = 0
lmtp_tls_mandatory_ciphers = medium
lmtp_tls_mandatory_exclude_ciphers =
lmtp_tls_mandatory_protocols = SSLv3, TLSv1
lmtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = no
lmtp_tls_per_site =
lmtp_tls_policy_maps =
lmtp_tls_scert_verifydepth = 9
lmtp_tls_secure_cert_match = nexthop
lmtp_tls_security_level =
lmtp_tls_session_cache_database =
lmtp_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
lmtp_tls_verify_cert_match = hostname
lmtp_use_tls = no
lmtp_xforward_timeout = 300s
local_command_shell =
local_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit =
$default_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit
local_destination_concurrency_limit = 2
local_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback =
$default_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback
local_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback =
$default_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback
local_destination_rate_delay = $default_destination_rate_delay
local_destination_recipient_limit = 1
local_header_rewrite_clients = permit_inet_interfaces
local_initial_destination_concurrency = $initial_destination_concurrency
local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps
local_transport = local:$myhostname
luser_relay =
mail_name = Postfix
mail_owner = postfix
mail_release_date = 20080216
mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
mail_version = 2.5.1
mailbox_command =
mailbox_command_maps =
mailbox_delivery_lock = fcntl, dotlock
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mailbox_transport =
mailbox_transport_maps =
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
maps_rbl_domains =
maps_rbl_reject_code = 554
masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
masquerade_domains =
masquerade_exceptions =
max_idle = 100s
max_use = 100
maximal_backoff_time = 4000s
maximal_queue_lifetime = 5d
message_reject_characters =
message_size_limit = 10240000
message_strip_characters =
milter_command_timeout = 30s
milter_connect_macros = j {daemon_name} v
milter_connect_timeout = 30s
milter_content_timeout = 300s
milter_data_macros = i
milter_default_action = tempfail
milter_end_of_data_macros = i
milter_end_of_header_macros = i
milter_helo_macros = {tls_version} {cipher} {cipher_bits}
{cert_subject} {cert_issuer}
milter_macro_daemon_name = $myhostname
milter_macro_v = $mail_name $mail_version
milter_mail_macros = i {auth_type} {auth_authen} {auth_author} {mail_addr}
milter_protocol = 2
milter_rcpt_macros = i {rcpt_addr}
milter_unknown_command_macros =
mime_boundary_length_limit = 2048
mime_header_checks = $header_checks
mime_nesting_limit = 100
minimal_backoff_time = 300s
multi_recipient_bounce_reject_code = 550
mydestination = amd64.csd-bes.net, localhost.csd-bes.net,localhost
mydomain = csd-bes.net
myhostname = mail.csd-bes.net
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
mynetworks_style = subnet
myorigin = /etc/mailname
nested_header_checks = $header_checks
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
non_fqdn_reject_code = 504
non_smtpd_milters =
notify_classes = resource, software
owner_request_special = yes
parent_domain_matches_subdomains =
debug_peer_list,fast_flush_domains,mynetworks,permit_mx_backup_networks,qmqpd_authorized_clients,relay_domains,smtpd_access_maps
permit_mx_backup_networks =
pickup_service_name = pickup
plaintext_reject_code = 450
prepend_delivered_header = command, file, forward
process_id_directory = pid
propagate_unmatched_extensions = canonical, virtual
proxy_interfaces =
proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination
$virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps
$virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains
$canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps
$relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks
proxy_write_maps = $smtp_sasl_auth_cache_name $lmtp_sasl_auth_cache_name
qmgr_clog_warn_time = 300s
qmgr_fudge_factor = 100
qmgr_message_active_limit = 20000
qmgr_message_recipient_limit = 20000
qmgr_message_recipient_minimum = 10
qmqpd_authorized_clients =
qmqpd_client_port_logging = no
qmqpd_error_delay = 1s
qmqpd_timeout = 300s
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
queue_file_attribute_count_limit = 100
queue_minfree = 0
queue_run_delay = 300s
queue_service_name = qmgr
rbl_reply_maps =
readme_directory = no
receive_override_options =
recipient_bcc_maps =
recipient_canonical_classes = envelope_recipient, header_recipient
recipient_canonical_maps =
recipient_delimiter = +
reject_code = 554
relay_clientcerts =
relay_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit =
$default_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit
relay_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
relay_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback =
$default_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback
relay_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback =
$default_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback
relay_destination_rate_delay = $default_destination_rate_delay
relay_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit
relay_domains = $mydestination
relay_domains_reject_code = 554
relay_initial_destination_concurrency = $initial_destination_concurrency
relay_recipient_maps =
relay_transport = relay
relayhost =
relocated_maps =
remote_header_rewrite_domain =
require_home_directory = no
resolve_dequoted_address = yes
resolve_null_domain = no
resolve_numeric_domain = no
rewrite_service_name = rewrite
sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/examples
send_cyrus_sasl_authzid = no
sender_bcc_maps =
sender_canonical_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender
sender_canonical_maps =
sender_dependent_relayhost_maps =
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
service_throttle_time = 60s
setgid_group = postdrop
show_user_unknown_table_name = yes
showq_service_name = showq
smtp_always_send_ehlo = yes
smtp_bind_address =
smtp_bind_address6 =
smtp_body_checks =
smtp_cname_overrides_servername = no
smtp_connect_timeout = 30s
smtp_connection_cache_destinations =
smtp_connection_cache_on_demand = yes
smtp_connection_cache_time_limit = 2s
smtp_connection_reuse_time_limit = 300s
smtp_data_done_timeout = 600s
smtp_data_init_timeout = 120s
smtp_data_xfer_timeout = 180s
smtp_defer_if_no_mx_address_found = no
smtp_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit =
$default_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit
smtp_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
smtp_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback =
$default_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback
smtp_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback =
$default_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback
smtp_destination_rate_delay = $default_destination_rate_delay
smtp_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit
smtp_discard_ehlo_keyword_address_maps =
smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords =
smtp_enforce_tls = no
smtp_fallback_relay = $fallback_relay
smtp_generic_maps =
smtp_header_checks =
smtp_helo_name = $myhostname
smtp_helo_timeout = 300s
smtp_host_lookup = dns
smtp_initial_destination_concurrency = $initial_destination_concurrency
smtp_line_length_limit = 990
smtp_mail_timeout = 300s
smtp_mime_header_checks =
smtp_mx_address_limit = 5
smtp_mx_session_limit = 2
smtp_nested_header_checks =
smtp_never_send_ehlo = no
smtp_pix_workaround_delay_time = 10s
smtp_pix_workaround_maps =
smtp_pix_workaround_threshold_time = 500s
smtp_pix_workarounds = disable_esmtp,delay_dotcrlf
smtp_quit_timeout = 300s
smtp_quote_rfc821_envelope = yes
smtp_randomize_addresses = yes
smtp_rcpt_timeout = 300s
smtp_rset_timeout = 20s
smtp_sasl_auth_cache_name =
smtp_sasl_auth_cache_time = 90d
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtp_sasl_auth_soft_bounce = yes
smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter =
smtp_sasl_password_maps =
smtp_sasl_path = private/auth-client
smtp_sasl_tls_security_options = $smtp_sasl_security_options
smtp_sasl_tls_verified_security_options = $smtp_sasl_tls_security_options
smtp_sasl_type = dovecot
smtp_send_xforward_command = no
smtp_sender_dependent_authentication = no
smtp_skip_5xx_greeting = yes
smtp_skip_quit_response = yes
smtp_starttls_timeout = 300s
smtp_tls_CAfile =
smtp_tls_CApath =
smtp_tls_cert_file =
smtp_tls_dcert_file =
smtp_tls_dkey_file = $smtp_tls_dcert_file
smtp_tls_enforce_peername = yes
smtp_tls_exclude_ciphers =
smtp_tls_fingerprint_cert_match =
smtp_tls_fingerprint_digest = md5
smtp_tls_key_file = $smtp_tls_cert_file
smtp_tls_loglevel = 0
smtp_tls_mandatory_ciphers = medium
smtp_tls_mandatory_exclude_ciphers =
smtp_tls_mandatory_protocols = SSLv3, TLSv1
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtp_tls_per_site =
smtp_tls_policy_maps =
smtp_tls_scert_verifydepth = 9
smtp_tls_secure_cert_match = nexthop, dot-nexthop
smtp_tls_security_level =
smtp_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
smtp_tls_verify_cert_match = hostname
smtp_use_tls = no
smtp_xforward_timeout = 300s
smtpd_authorized_verp_clients = $authorized_verp_clients
smtpd_authorized_xclient_hosts =
smtpd_authorized_xforward_hosts =
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
smtpd_client_connection_count_limit = 50
smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 0
smtpd_client_event_limit_exceptions =
${smtpd_client_connection_limit_exceptions:$mynetworks}
smtpd_client_message_rate_limit = 0
smtpd_client_new_tls_session_rate_limit = 0
smtpd_client_port_logging = no
smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit = 0
smtpd_client_restrictions =
smtpd_data_restrictions =
smtpd_delay_open_until_valid_rcpt = yes
smtpd_delay_reject = yes
smtpd_discard_ehlo_keyword_address_maps =
smtpd_discard_ehlo_keywords =
smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions =
smtpd_enforce_tls = no
smtpd_error_sleep_time = 1s
smtpd_etrn_restrictions =
smtpd_expansion_filter =
\t\40!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~
smtpd_forbidden_commands = CONNECT GET POST
smtpd_hard_error_limit = 20
smtpd_helo_required = no
smtpd_helo_restrictions =
smtpd_history_flush_threshold = 100
smtpd_junk_command_limit = 100
smtpd_milters =
smtpd_noop_commands =
smtpd_null_access_lookup_key = <>
smtpd_peername_lookup = yes
smtpd_policy_service_max_idle = 300s
smtpd_policy_service_max_ttl = 1000s
smtpd_policy_service_timeout = 100s
smtpd_proxy_ehlo = $myhostname
smtpd_proxy_filter =
smtpd_proxy_timeout = 100s
smtpd_recipient_limit = 1000
smtpd_recipient_overshoot_limit = 1000
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient = yes
smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender = no
smtpd_restriction_classes =
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no
smtpd_sasl_authenticated_header = no
smtpd_sasl_exceptions_networks =
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
smtpd_sasl_path = smtpd
smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = $smtpd_sasl_security_options
smtpd_sasl_type = cyrus
smtpd_sender_login_maps =
smtpd_sender_restrictions =
smtpd_soft_error_limit = 10
smtpd_starttls_timeout = 300s
smtpd_timeout = 300s
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/cacert.pem
smtpd_tls_CApath =
smtpd_tls_always_issue_session_ids = yes
smtpd_tls_ask_ccert = no
smtpd_tls_auth_only = no
smtpd_tls_ccert_verifydepth = 9
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/smtpd.crt
smtpd_tls_dcert_file =
smtpd_tls_dh1024_param_file =
smtpd_tls_dh512_param_file =
smtpd_tls_dkey_file = $smtpd_tls_dcert_file
smtpd_tls_exclude_ciphers =
smtpd_tls_fingerprint_digest = md5
smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/smtpd.key
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_tls_mandatory_ciphers = medium
smtpd_tls_mandatory_exclude_ciphers =
smtpd_tls_mandatory_protocols = SSLv3, TLSv1
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_req_ccert = no
smtpd_tls_security_level =
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
smtpd_tls_wrappermode = no
smtpd_use_tls = yes
soft_bounce = no
stale_lock_time = 500s
stress =
strict_7bit_headers = no
strict_8bitmime = no
strict_8bitmime_body = no
strict_mime_encoding_domain = no
strict_rfc821_envelopes = no
sun_mailtool_compatibility = no
swap_bangpath = yes
syslog_facility = mail
syslog_name = postfix
tls_daemon_random_bytes = 32
tls_export_cipherlist = ALL:+RC4:@STRENGTH
tls_high_cipherlist = ALL:!EXPORT:!LOW:!MEDIUM:+RC4:@STRENGTH
tls_low_cipherlist = ALL:!EXPORT:+RC4:@STRENGTH
tls_medium_cipherlist = ALL:!EXPORT:!LOW:+RC4:@STRENGTH
tls_null_cipherlist = eNULL:!aNULL
tls_random_bytes = 32
tls_random_exchange_name = ${data_directory}/prng_exch
tls_random_prng_update_period = 3600s
tls_random_reseed_period = 3600s
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
trace_service_name = trace
transport_retry_time = 60s
trigger_timeout = 10s
undisclosed_recipients_header = To: undisclosed-recipients:;
unknown_address_reject_code = 450
unknown_client_reject_code = 450
unknown_hostname_reject_code = 450
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
unknown_relay_recipient_reject_code = 550
unknown_virtual_alias_reject_code = 550
unknown_virtual_mailbox_reject_code = 550
unverified_recipient_reject_code = 450
unverified_sender_reject_code = 450
verp_delimiter_filter = -=+
virtual_alias_domains = $virtual_alias_maps
virtual_alias_expansion_limit = 1000
virtual_alias_maps =
hash:/etc/postfix/virtual,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
virtual_alias_recursion_limit = 1000
virtual_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit =
$default_destination_concurrency_failed_cohort_limit
virtual_destination_concurrency_limit = $default_destination_concurrency_limit
virtual_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback =
$default_destination_concurrency_negative_feedback
virtual_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback =
$default_destination_concurrency_positive_feedback
virtual_destination_rate_delay = $default_destination_rate_delay
virtual_destination_recipient_limit = $default_destination_recipient_limit
virtual_gid_maps =
virtual_initial_destination_concurrency = $initial_destination_concurrency
virtual_mailbox_base =
virtual_mailbox_domains = $virtual_mailbox_maps
virtual_mailbox_limit = 51200000
virtual_mailbox_lock = fcntl, dotlock
virtual_mailbox_maps =
virtual_minimum_uid = 100
virtual_transport = virtual
virtual_uid_maps =

I continued through the howto on that page to the SASL configuration,
I am using dovecot.  After doing those steps, dovecot would not
restart.  The howto says to set:

path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth-client

but that path is nonexistent on my server.  What did I miss where?

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Re: Relay access denied

Sahil Tandon
[hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Quoting Scott Kitterman <[hidden email]>:
>
>> On Saturday 21 June 2008 19:57, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> I have a new postfix installation on a new installation of Ubuntu 8.04.
>>>
>>> I have it set up and receiving email.  Up until now I've been using
>>> webmail, but now that it's "live" I want to use Thunderbird.  The
>>> server in question lives at my office, and I am testing this from home.
>>>
>>> Sending and receiving any email internal or external works via webmail
>>> Sending and receiving internal email works using tbird
>>> sending external email (i.e., yahoo.com) does not work.  "Relay Access
>>> Denied".
>>>
>>> What am I missing?  Here's my main.cf:
>>
>> You need to add SMTP Authentication.  See the Ubuntu Server Guide for setup
>> information:
>>
>> http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/postfix.html
>>
>> Scott K
> I went through these step by step and it still doesn't work.  Here's
> postconf:

[...]

Please post the output of 'postconf -n', not simply 'postconf'.

> I continued through the howto on that page to the SASL configuration, I am
> using dovecot.  After doing those steps, dovecot would not restart.

If dovecot does not restart, it is not a Postfix issue.

> The howto says to set:
>
> path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth-client
>
> but that path is nonexistent on my server.  What did I miss where?

FWIW, I also authenticate via dovecot; I just followed these guidelines:

http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#build_dovecot
http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_dovecot

Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>

Re: Relay access denied

bronto
Quoting Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>:

> [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Scott Kitterman <[hidden email]>:

>>> You need to add SMTP Authentication.  See the Ubuntu Server Guide for setup
>>> information:
>>>
>>> http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/serverguide/C/postfix.html
>>>
>>> Scott K
>> I went through these step by step and it still doesn't work.  Here's
>> postconf:
>
> [...]
>
> Please post the output of 'postconf -n', not simply 'postconf'.
>
>> I continued through the howto on that page to the SASL configuration, I am
>> using dovecot.  After doing those steps, dovecot would not restart.
>
> If dovecot does not restart, it is not a Postfix issue.
>
>> The howto says to set:
>>
>> path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth-client
>>
>> but that path is nonexistent on my server.  What did I miss where?
>
> FWIW, I also authenticate via dovecot; I just followed these guidelines:
>
> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#build_dovecot
> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_dovecot
>
> --
> Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>

Sorry,

[...]

Quoting [hidden email]:

> Quoting Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>:
>
>> [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I went through these step by step and it still doesn't work.  Here's
>>> postconf:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Please post the output of 'postconf -n', not simply 'postconf'.
>>
>>> I continued through the howto on that page to the SASL configuration, I am
>>> using dovecot.  After doing those steps, dovecot would not restart.
>>
>> If dovecot does not restart, it is not a Postfix issue.
>>
>>> The howto says to set:
>>>
>>> path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth-client
>>>
>>> but that path is nonexistent on my server.  What did I miss where?
>>
>> FWIW, I also authenticate via dovecot; I just followed these guidelines:
>>
>> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#build_dovecot
>> http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html#server_dovecot
>>
>> --
>> Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>
>>

> Sorry,
>
> alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
> append_dot_mydomain = no
> biff = no
> broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
> config_directory = /etc/postfix
> content_filter = smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
> debug_peer_list = amd64.csd-bes.net
> home_mailbox = Maildir/
> inet_interfaces = all
> mailbox_size_limit = 0
> mydestination = amd64.csd-bes.net, localhost.csd-bes.net,localhost
> myhostname = mail.csd-bes.net
> mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
> myorigin = /etc/mailname
> readme_directory = no
> recipient_delimiter = +
> smtp_sasl_path = private/auth-client
> smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
> smtp_sasl_type = dovecot
> smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
> smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtp_scache
> smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name (Ubuntu)
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
> permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
> smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/cacert.pem
> smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/smtpd.crt
> smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/smtpd.key
> smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
> smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
> smtpd_tls_session_cache_database = btree:${data_directory}/smtpd_scache
> smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
> smtpd_use_tls = yes
> tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom
> virtual_alias_maps =
> hash:/etc/postfix/virtual,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman

Here's the mail.log entry:

Jun 21 22:31:00 amd64 postfix/smtpd[6751]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]: 554 5.7.1
<[hidden email]>: Relay access denied; from=<[hidden email]>
to=<[hidden email]> proto=ESMTP helo=<[127.0.0.1]>

Re: Relay access denied

[hidden email] wrote:
> [snip]
>
> I continued through the howto on that page to the SASL configuration,
> I am using dovecot.  After doing those steps, dovecot would not restart.

then you'll need to first make sure dovecot works as needed before
trying to get postfix to do sasl. the dovecot mailing list is the right
place to ask dovecot related questions. but if you post there and simply
say "it would not restart", nobody will be able to help you. you need to
post relevant logs as well as your configuration (postconf -n on the
postfix list, dovecot -n on the dovecot list) plus other infos (software
version).

>   The howto says to set:
>
> path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth-client
>
> but that path is nonexistent on my server.  What did I miss where?

the path is created by dovecot. so Mission No 1 is to get dovecot
working as needed.

Re: Relay access denied

bronto
Quoting mouss <[hidden email]>:

>>  The howto says to set:
>>
>> path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth-client
>>
>> but that path is nonexistent on my server.  What did I miss where?
>
> the path is created by dovecot. so Mission No 1 is to get dovecot
> working as needed.

OK, dovecot is working.  I think I had a syntax error in the dovecot
conf file, because doing it over worked this time.  Your note that the
file above is created by dovecot put me on the right path.  After
dovecot starts, I see that the file has been created.

In retrieving mail, dovecot reports:
dovecot: 2008-06-22 14:29:16 Info: imap-login: Login:
user=<[hidden email]>, method=PLAIN, rip=206.72.65.96,
lip=206.83.1.107, TLS

in sending from Tbird on my windows box at home, to a local user:
Jun 22 14:35:27 amd64 postfix/smtpd[7571]: connect from
206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]
Jun 22 14:35:27 amd64 postfix/smtpd[7571]: 6D3B44260D:
client=206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]
Jun 22 14:35:38 amd64 postfix/smtpd[7571]: 5A4604260D:
client=206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]
Jun 22 14:35:38 amd64 postfix/cleanup[7299]: 5A4604260D:
message-id=<[hidden email]>
Jun 22 14:35:38 amd64 postfix/qmgr[1846]: 5A4604260D:
from=<[hidden email]>, size=562, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jun 22 14:35:39 amd64 postfix/smtpd[7571]: disconnect from
206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]

In attempting to send to a yahoo account:

Jun 22 14:54:16 amd64 postfix/smtpd[8099]: connect from
206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]
Jun 22 14:54:17 amd64 postfix/smtpd[8099]: setting up TLS connection
from 206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]
Jun 22 14:54:17 amd64 postfix/smtpd[8099]: Anonymous TLS connection
established from 206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]: TLSv1 with
cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)
Jun 22 14:54:17 amd64 postfix/smtpd[8099]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]: 554 5.7.1
<[hidden email]>: Relay access denied; from=<[hidden email]>
to=<[hidden email]> proto=ESMTP helo=<[192.168.0.2]>
Jun 22 14:54:19 amd64 postfix/smtpd[8099]: disconnect from
206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]

I haven't changed postfix conf, but I'll repeat the output of postconf -n

[...]

So I'm still getting relay access denied.

In tbird, I have the outgoing server with "username and password" set,
"use secure connection" set to "tls if available".

Thanks.

Re: Relay access denied

Jimbo-3
[hidden email] wrote:
> smtp_sasl_path = private/auth-client
> smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
> smtp_sasl_type = dovecot
Did you mean smtpD_sasl here?  Something like:
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth-client
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

smtp_ configures the postfix smtp CLIENT, smtpd_ configures the postfix
smtp SERVER.

Re: Relay access denied

bronto
Quoting Jimbo <[hidden email]>:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> smtp_sasl_path = private/auth-client
>> smtp_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
>> smtp_sasl_type = dovecot
> Did you mean smtpD_sasl here?  Something like:
> smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
> smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth-client
> smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
>
> smtp_ configures the postfix smtp CLIENT, smtpd_ configures the postfix
> smtp SERVER.

Indeed, thanks.  I gotta stop doing this stuff late at night :(

However it still doesn't work.

This is from mail.log:

Jun 22 20:28:18 amd64 postfix/smtpd[19966]: connect from
206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]
Jun 22 20:28:18 amd64 postfix/smtpd[19966]: setting up TLS connection
from 206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]
Jun 22 20:28:19 amd64 postfix/smtpd[19966]: Anonymous TLS connection
established from 206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]: TLSv1 with
cipher DHE-RSA-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)
Jun 22 20:28:19 amd64 postfix/smtpd[19966]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]: 554 5.7.1
<[hidden email]>: Relay access denied; from=<[hidden email]>
to=<[hidden email]> proto=ESMTP helo=<[192.168.0.2]>
Jun 22 20:28:22 amd64 postfix/smtpd[19966]: disconnect from
206-72-65-96.dsl.dock.net[206.72.65.96]

postconf- n output is now:

[...]

Is mynetworks right?

Is it:
smtp_tls_session_cache_database
or
smtpd_tls_session_cache_database
I'm not sure if this was inserted by the original configurator or by
me at some point, but it's not listed on the howto referenced earlier.
  I find the about same number of references to both by googling.

Rob

Re: Relay access denied

Jimbo-3
[hidden email] wrote:
> smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
> smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth-client
> smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
Looks like you are missing smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes.

Re: Relay access denied

bronto
Quoting Jimbo <[hidden email]>:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
>> smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth-client
>> smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous
>> smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
> Looks like you are missing smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes.

It does *look* that way, but it is in main.cf.  Here's the bottom most
section after any comments, you can see for yourself:

myhostname = mail.csd-bes.net
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
myorigin = /etc/mailname
mydestination = amd64.csd-bes.net, localhost.csd-bes.net,localhost
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8 [::ffff:127.0.0.0]/104 [::1]/128
mailbox_size_limit = 0
recipient_delimiter = +
virtual_alias_maps =
hash:/etc/postfix/virtual,hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/virtual-mailman
home_mailbox = Maildir/
debug_peer_list = amd64.csd-bes.net

unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth-client
smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
smptd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauth_destination
inet_interfaces = all
smptd_tls_auth_only = no
smptd_use_tls = yes
smpt_use_tls = yes
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/ssl/certs/cacert.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 1
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

I looked closely for typos, see none.  The above is unchanged from the
last postconf -n.  I've restarted postfix and did postconf -n again
but smptd_sasl_auth_enable = yes doesn't show.  Is it sensitive to
placement in the file (I wouldn't think so).  Indicative of problems
with sasl?

Rob

Re: Relay access denied

/dev/rob0
On Sun June 22 2008 23:27:43 [hidden email] wrote:
> > Looks like you are missing smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes.
>
> It does *look* that way, but it is in main.cf.  Here's the bottom

"postconf -n" catches the typos you missed. This is why we ask for it,
and not main.cf snippets.

> smptd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

> smptd_tls_auth_only = no
> smptd_use_tls = yes
> smpt_use_tls = yes

Trasnposed smoe letetrs!

> I looked closely for typos, see none.  The above is unchanged from
> the last postconf -n.  I've restarted postfix and did postconf -n
> again but smptd_sasl_auth_enable = yes doesn't show.  Is it sensitive
> to placement in the file (I wouldn't think so).  Indicative of
> problems with sasl?

Your sals is possibly fine, your glasses are possibly not. :)

Re: Relay access denied

Magnus Bäck
On Monday, June 23, 2008 at 06:27 CEST,
     [hidden email] wrote:

> Quoting Jimbo <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Looks like you are missing smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes.
>
> It does *look* that way, but it is in main.cf.  Here's the bottom most
> section after any comments, you can see for yourself:

[...]

> smptd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
    ^^

No typos, indeed?

[...]

Magnus Bäck

Re: Relay access denied

Benny Pedersen

On Mon, June 23, 2008 06:27, [hidden email] wrote:

> smptd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

smptd vs smtpd, you can be sure if settings is missing in postconf -n then
doubble check its there :-)

if unsure all defaults settings is found on postconf -d

Benny Pedersen
Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

Re: Relay access denied

bronto
/dev/rob0 wrote:

> On Sun June 22 2008 23:27:43 [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Looks like you are missing smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes.
>> It does *look* that way, but it is in main.cf.  Here's the bottom
>
> "postconf -n" catches the typos you missed. This is why we ask for it,
> and not main.cf snippets.
>
>> smptd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
>
>> smptd_tls_auth_only = no
>> smptd_use_tls = yes
>> smpt_use_tls = yes
>
> Trasnposed smoe letetrs!
>
>> I looked closely for typos, see none.  The above is unchanged from
>> the last postconf -n.  I've restarted postfix and did postconf -n
>> again but smptd_sasl_auth_enable = yes doesn't show.  Is it sensitive
>> to placement in the file (I wouldn't think so).  Indicative of
>> problems with sasl?
>
> Your sals is possibly fine, your glasses are possibly not. :)

OK, that's embarrassing.  All is working now, as evidenced by this email
coming from tbird.

Rob