Relay and Sender Restrictions

spaceman
Hi,

I have a destination and a relay postfix. Both have the following (with
a few extra for the destination):

smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_unknown_sender_domain, permit

The destination rejects emails as it is supposed to, however the relay does
not. This means that the destination rejects emails from the relay.

How can I configure the relay to reject emails (non fqdn, unknown
domain) so that they never reach the destination?

I need the relay because the destination is down quite a bit.

Regards,
spaceman

Re: Relay and Sender Restrictions

Wietse Venema
spaceman:
> Hi,
>
> I have a destination and a relay postfix. Both have the following
> (with a few extra for the destination):
>
> smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender,
> reject_unknown_sender_domain, permit
>
> The destination rejects emails as it is supposed to, however the

rejects what? non-fqdn sender? unknown sender domain?
The Postfix SMTP client by default does not send non-fqdn MAIL FROM
or RCPT TO addresses.

> relay does not. This means that the destination rejects emails
> from the relay.
>
> How can I configure the relay to reject emails (non fqdn, unknown
> domain) so that they never reach the destination?
>
> I need the relay because the destination is down quite a bit.

Check your relay's DNS server. Some ISPs helpfully replace "not
found" DNS results with the address of their own 'support' website.
That would definitely break Postfix's reject_unknown_sender_domain
feature.

Re: Relay and Sender Restrictions

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 07.12.19 15:08, spaceman wrote:
>I have a destination and a relay postfix. Both have the following (with
>a few extra for the destination):
>
>smtpd_sender_restrictions = reject_non_fqdn_sender, reject_unknown_sender_domain, permit
>
>The destination rejects emails as it is supposed to, however the relay does
>not. This means that the destination rejects emails from the relay.

the destination? If you are talking about recipient, you must put
reject_non_fqdn_recipient and reject_unknown_recipient_domain into smtpd_recipient_restrictions

Emacs is a complicated operating system without good text editor.