Relay server bounce question

Jay Deiman

Re: Relay server bounce question

Terry Gilsenan
Jay wrote:

> I'm running a backup MX server and I've noticed something I find a
> little odd.  When the recipient mail server denies a transaction from
> the backup MX server with a 5XX, the backup MX server defers the mail
> instead of immediately bouncing it.  Is there any way to change this
> behavior so that if it gets denied with a 5XX, it will immediately
> bounce it, but, obviously, defer it on a 4XX?

Jay,

A couple of questions for you..:

1, Why would your backup MX accept any email that the Primary MX would not?
2, Does your Primary MX not trust your backup MX?

Accepting the email from the senders MTA and then later bouncing it is
not acceptable behavior, this will cause problems when your server tries
to bounce forged sender email (spam etc) to someone that did not send it.

If you are going to refuse to accept email, this must be done during the
SMTP transaction, not after the SMTP transaction has been completed and
your MX has said OK to the sending MTA.

If you are determined to have a Backup MX, then make it conform to the
same rules as the Primary MX, and make your Primary MX trust the backup MX.

This way the you fix the correct problem, and dont get caught up fixing
something that isnt broken.

Re: Relay server bounce question

Charles Marcus
On 6/14/2008, Terry Gilsenan ([hidden email]) wrote:
> If you are determined to have a Backup MX, then make it conform to
> the same rules as the Primary MX, and make your Primary MX trust the
> backup MX.

But imho, backup mx's are far more trouble than they are worth, and in
most cases are simply not needed.

--

Best regards,

Charles